1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S TWO MAPLE MONSTERS EYE CANDY F/S

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Mr.M, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

The last batch of maple two piece stock blanks sold out and I've had requests for more with lots of questions about really unique maple blanks. Here are two pure Exhibition Grade Maple blanks that are in inventory and ready to go to that discriminating buyer who wants a non-traditional stock set that will be an eye popper and a crowd pleaser all at the same time. These two came from the same log six years ago and display a very unique quilt pattern called "rope" or "cable" because - well you'll see in the pictures.

The first blank measures 18 1/2 inches long, 8 1/4 inches tall at the butt, 4 inches tall at the receiver and is a full 3 inches thick. This blank is perfectly laid out with full burl patches in the thick section of the butt giving way to "cable" pattern quilt fiddleback running through the receiver end of the blank. The blank is extra wide to accept the most radical "twisted sister" and extra tall to host a radically tall Monte Carlo drop. The symmetry side-to-side is almost unnatural in its evenness and repetition. If you want the finest of the finest Maple for yourself or someone you really care about this is it. This one comes with a closely matching forend blank and is priced at $495.00 with shipping included. BLANK IS SOLD.

[​IMG]

Left side view showing the "cable" or "rope" quilt fiddleback pattern.

[​IMG]

Right side view illustrating the side-to-side symmetry.

The second offering is cut as a rifle but would make an outstanding 2 piece set as well. This one measures 40 1/2 inches long, 8 inches tall at the butt, 3 inches tall at the muzzle and is a full 2 3/4 inches thick. This one shows one of the best laid out "cable" pattern quilts I've seen with the cable filling the entire butt portion of the stock and duplicating perfectly from side to side. I used a like sized blank to stock my trap gun recently (pictures on the way) and we got both a regular and a schnable style forend out of the blank. There is a small surface check on the right side of the blank at the butt which will mill out during duplication. This blank measures 19 percent moisture by weight and should be shelved for another season before use. Price is $475.00 with shipping included. BLANK IS SOLD.

[​IMG]

Left side showing the upward flow of the cable pattern.

[​IMG]

Left side closeup. This would be the entire stock blank in a 2 piece application.

[​IMG]

Right side view showing symmetry side-to-side. The brown spot in the forend is a bark intrusion that will mill out of both a rifle and a 2 piece application.

[​IMG]

Right side detail speaks for itself. Small surface check is barely visible in front of the small dark burl.

As always, ten percent of all sales go to the support of the Trapshooters.com website. These are two of the most unique and beautiful and well laid out Maple blanks I've ever seen and will be a real treasure for someone who loves blondes and seeks the non-traditional in a quality gunstock.

Thanks for looking. Let me know of your interest at the email address above.

Mike Mann White Creek Gunstock Blanks LLC Your Myrtlewood (and sometimes Maple) Source

2. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

The two-piece is sold and on the way to its new owner in southern California. Another $45.00 into the kitty for TS.com. Thanks to the buyer.

Mike Mann

3. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Two piece is gone and the rifle is still available. Remember that the rifle is big enough to yield a huge shotgun blank and TWO forends all from the same blank. I'll reduce the price on the rifle to $395.00 to see if we can induce a final decision. The first one who confirms that payment is on the way will be the proud owner of this very rare Maple blank. Once it's gone, it's gone! Thanks for looking.

Mike Mann

4. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

0   0   0

Mr. M, that particular quilt pattern is one of the most desirable. It is known as na Angel Step pattern. Nice looking wood!

5. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Hammer,

Can't wait to convey your message to my custom maker. Every time I show up in his shop with another variant of pattern with a real name, he accuses me of fetching the name out of some deep, dark, damp recess of my body. Shoulda heard the laughter when I yanked several pieces of "Frog's Hair Fiddleback" Myrtlewood out of the van. "Bees Wing" always seems to be particularly entertaining. Can't wait to lay "Angel Step" on him. Poor guy will probably have a "coronary event".

Always good to hear what others in the know are calling these very unique patterns. Angel step sounds a lot more heavenly that cable or rope pattern.

Unloader,

Thanks for the kind words. How's the "Window Pane" Myrtlewood project coming along? Not pushing you, but please feel free to post a picture of the finished project when it's ready. Sure wish I could find a few slabs of that variant big enough to lay out a couple gunstocks. Always looking.

Regards to all,

Mike Mann

6. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

0   0   0

The different terminology is used more so by the veneer sawyers and furniture industry. They are buying the higher quality logs and need someway to identify the different patterns to buyers.

7. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

The "Angel Step" rifle has been spoken for. Both are now on the way to their new owners. I'm preparing a couple more Maple sets that will sell at $125.00 to $150.00 and a few higher grade Myrtlewood sets that my shooting friends have been requesting. Look for a new thread this weekend.

Thanks for looking, I hope we provided a little entertainment.

Mike Mann White Creek Gunstock Blanks Your Myrtlewood Source

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Hey Mike... How does the "cable" effect get into the wood? Stress from wind?

9. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

M,

Those who know tell me that there are two possibilities and the final result may be a combination of both. The first is the angle at which the tree grew. Along the coast here in southern Oregon you will occasionally see very mature Maples growing on a cliff or a stream bank which has become eroded over time causing the old tree with its immense weight to be leaning precariously. The constant driving winds are also thought to be a factor. In any case, most fiddleback is caused by the constant bearing of incredible weight in potentially centuries old trees.

Some of the troubled Myrtles that I've harvested from my own property here in southern Oregon were 350 years old by actual ring count. The bees wing fiddleback was caused by a combination of angle of trunk growth, constant wind in a box canyon and two distinct seasons (six months of rain every day followed by six months of no humidity and no precipitation. Stunning stuff. Thanks Mother Nature!!

[​IMG]

Mike Mann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.