1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S Thomas & Thomas Bamboo Fly Rod *SOLD* P/F

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by K-EIGHTY, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

0   0   0

Mint condition Thomas & Thomas "Special Trouter" Bamboo Fly Rod. 2 piece 7ft. #4-5 weight with 2 tips, aluminum tube and cloth bag. Hardy Featherweight Reel. This was my high school graduation gift (from my parents) in 1979. I used it lightly for a season or two before getting interested in fast cars and girls (or was it fast girls in cars). Haven't been fly fishing since, so letting it go to someone who'll use it. If you never fished a high quality bamboo rod, it's something special. Very slow action vs. graphite. Thomas & Thomas stopped making this model years ago, so I have no idea what it's worth. PM me with offers. As always, thanks for looking.
    K-EIGHTY

keighty_2011_270131.jpg

keighty_2011_270132.jpg

keighty_2011_270133.jpg

keighty_2011_270134.jpg

keighty_2011_270135.jpg

keighty_2011_270136.jpg

2. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

K-Eighty,

Are both tips straight, no sets(curves) in both tips? Any hook digs in the tips or butt section? I am interested as I am looking for a bamboo set as a gift to my son who is well on the road to becoming a fly fishing addict. If you will, please let me know what bids you are receiving which I might be able to raise.

PM inbound also

Thank you,
    Pat

3. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

0   0   0

Pat,

The rod is in like new condition with the exception of the cork handle. There are methods to clean cork that I'm sure would make it look new, but I haven't attempted any. There are no blemishes anywhere, and both tips are perfect.

Thanks,
    K-EIGHTY

4. TRUTTA

TRUTTA TS Member

0   0   0

Put it on consignment at coldwater collectibles, Jim is a great guy to deal with and you'll get top dollar! http://www.coldwatercollectibles.com/

5. RMR

RMR Member

0   0   0

Contact John Bradford- lives in Ft Worth Texas. He has been building bamboo fly rods since he was a young boy- guessing he is now close to 80. He has also restored many high end bamboo rods. If you tell him the model # and maker of your rod- I will almost garentee you he will be able to describe your rod down to the color and number of wraps on the guides- he knows his S$%T when it comes to bamboo fly rods. Those of us who build bamboo fly rods contact him with question like this- he is one of the most knowledable persons in the world on bamboo fly rods

He doesnt buy or sell them but will be able to tell you what you should be able to fairly ask for it.

My experience with these "bamboo" fly rod clearing houses are: once they know you have no idea what its worth- they will low ball you , buy it then turn around and sell it on their web site at a substantial mark up. Beware- Call John

RMR ( a bamboo rod builder )

6. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

0   0   0

Some sites, specializing in this gear, are parting with similar rods for about $1,895. (http://www.classicflyfisherman.com/PRE_OWNED_RODS.htm)

So, $2,000 with the reel is not unreasonable.

But do you really want to part with your high school graduation present from your parents? You need to fish some more!

7. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

0   0   0

Thanks for all of the info and comments. TTT

8. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

0   0   0

K-EIGHTY. Nice, I would love to have one like that. What I do want to add is to support the question ms_yuan raised "are you sure you want to part with a gift from your parents?" I do not know any of your personal business (don't even know who you are, or where you are). Both my parents are long gone and things they gave me are very very special.....be sure you want to let it go before it is gone.....

9. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

0   0   0

Thanks bobcat16.
    TTT

10. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

0   0   0

After speaking with several experts, and discounting for consignment fees, shipping & time, I'm looking for $1,850 for the rod & reel.

Thanks for looking.
    K-EIGHTY

11. tomr1

tomr1 Member

0   0   0

Catching Chrome - Do some homework before posting ignorant post.

12. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

0   0   0

I had several experts value to reel at right around $300.

Thanks for looking.
    K-EIGHTY

13. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

0   0   0

You should keep it.

14. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

0   0   0

15. greendrake

greendrake Member

0   0   0

PM SENT..greendrake

16. greendrake

greendrake Member

0   0   0

pm sent
    russ luke

17. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

0   0   0

Rod is sold pending funds. Reel is available for $300 shipped.

Thanks for looking.
    K-EIGHTY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
graphite fly rods by thomas and thomas
thomas and thomas bamboo rod tube
thomas and thomas graphite fly rod
thomas and thomas graphite fly rods

thomas and thomas special trouter

thomas and thomas special trouter fly rod
thomas bamboo fly rods