1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S S&W 340PD .357 Ultra Light

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by skeeljc, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

What is the deal with "NO LESS THAN 120 GR BULLET" ???

Jim Skeel

2. skeet100

skeet100 Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I "think" they had issues with very light bullets pulling from the cases during recoil and locking up the gun... but I may be wrong.... have been before... :)

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

0   0   0

skeet100 you are sorta correct there were a couple of issues. The first was bullet pull (due to the sharp violent recoil) which could happen with any weight bullet but was most prevalent with heaver lead bullet loads and the second was severe throat erosion usually with the 110gr bullet loads. You could end up with flame cutting in the chamber lead and on the cylinder face in as few as 20 rounds with the wrong ammo. I carried a 340 as my always gun for several years and had both a 360 (exposed hammer) and a 340 fail with flame cutting. S&W replaced one and repaired one by replacing the cylinder. My second 340PD (bought because I liked the Hi-Viz sights) never had the problem but by then I knew what ammo to avoid. Winchester ultra-clean 110 or 125 and Rem-UNC clean 125 were the worst for cutting. And the Golden Saber had major bullet pull issues. The best load I found for this little pocket monster was the Federal 130 Hydra-Shock.

Just so you know any load above a 38+P in this little gun is a real handful. The recoil is like nothing I had ever experienced before. It is kinda like holding a M-80 in your hand when it goes off rather than a kick. BUT if you can handle it these guns are very accurate and with the correct ammo 100% reliable.

--- Chip King ---

4. skeet100

skeet100 Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Thats right... I forgot about the flame cutting issue.... I used to fool with handguns and know all the info... and you know on second thought the bullet pull might have been worse on the heavy bullets and less on the lighter ones... oh well ....if it was mine I would shoot 158 grain +P 38's.. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.