1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S - Pre-War Mdl 42 w/Factory Rib

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by John Stefanowicz, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

Please provide your email to mine, given above. We need to talk. John

2. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Very nice looking gun.

3. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Problem is the vent ribs that were put on 42's all came out in the 50's pre war guns if ribed would be solid ribs nice looker though

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. No way that is a factory VR.

Still, a very nice looking gun. You definitely have had some great looking guns for sale. (too bad your lop is so short...)

5. larryjk

larryjk Member

This is not a factory checkering job on the stock. The pattern on the buttstock is wrong and so is the forend. You will not see points on the front of the 12a or 12b pattern on any shotgun put out by Winchester. It just isn't correct. The 12b pattern is mentally demanding and the checkerer didn't have the patience,or knowledge to do it correctly. Unfortunately, a poor imitation!

6. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

Bill, you still have not given me your email address. I've read the above postings, and don't agree with most of them. Nevertheless, I'd like to talk/email off the forum. John

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

great looking stock

8. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Your use of the phrase factory rib is misleading and I suspect that you meant it to be. Sounds like false advertising to me

9. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Sticking it to someone who doesn't know any better is what you where thinking at the begining of this post now your pissed at me for spoiling it but I'm glad that with the peer preasure on this web site, from fellow TS.comer's and myself, that you came clean about what you really have for sale, a build up, that cost more to build than it is worth on the open market it is pretty though and would make a great shooter as original 42's in that configuration are far to valuble and irreplacable to be shooting very often no need to respond we're done with you now

10. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Sticking it to someone who doesn't know any better is what you where thinking at the begining of this post now your pissed at me for spoiling it but I'm glad that with the peer preasure on this web site, from fellow TS.comer's and myself, that you came clean about what you really have for sale, a build up, that cost more to build than it is worth on the open market it is pretty though and would make a great shooter as original 42's in that configuration are far to valuble and irreplacable to be shooting very often no need to respond we're done with you now

11. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

DB. D--n fine looking gun - regardless of the comments. Would be
    glad to show it off if it were mine.

Doyal.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

DB, that is a great 42. Wish I could afford it. I guess I have to be happy with my old field grade 42. BTW, your asking price is reasonable for what is being offered, thanks for letting us take a look.

13. chipking

chipking TS Member

DB Bill That is a beautiful M42. The stock work looks very much like Ropers work. His main focus was Colt and Smith and Wesson Revolvers but I know he did some very hi-grade and presentation long gun stocks as well. As a former S&W collector I can tell you that a single set of Ropers will bring between $400-$600 so the wood alone on your Model 42 is probably worth more than your asking price.
    I envy you.

--- Chip King ---

14. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Just to throw my two cents in....I have always found DB Bill to be open and honest in his descriptions. I don't see where he belabored the point about what was done when, but he clearly said custom wood and I would agree that a Win custom shop rib addition is just that...a factory rib addition.

I have a Simmons 42....at one time they bought the metal (maybe wood also) from Win and added their rib, a silver grip cap, Cutts, etc and marketed it themselves as a skeet gun...I certainly don't consider this a pieced together gun.

Frankly, if you are looking at spending thousands on an old classic pump, you have a responsibility to make yourself a bit knowledgable about the guns and their evolution....you just can't point at the seller.

Bill - its beautiful....but I already can't hit a blind cow in the ass with the 42 I already have ....which I ain't selling anyway LOL

Stephen

15. 3DHC

3DHC Member

The Stock looks like many others done by Gene Vance (Lebec, California). I have seen a dozen or more M42, M12, & M101 Stocks with the same checking pattern that I know where his work.

The price of M42's are on the rise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.