1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S PERAZZI MX-8 THREE BARREL SET

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Rick Barker, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Question....can you advise what year your MX-8 was made?

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

This is a type 3 isnt it?

What are type 3 MX8s selling for ? Are you saying they sell for $6500? I saw one sell for $2800-- plainer wood than this one but still that is a huge difference in what the market is

3. brianedward69

brianedward69 Member

0   0   0

At Cabela's for $2999

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/hoffman_estates/european_sg/688844_perazzimx8_hof.jsp?hierarchyId=11651

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

You are correct. A new TYPE 4 MX-8 combo might go for 11K, RETAIL, but, I don't care what kind of condition a Type 3 gun is in, it will not command a price that will even approach a Type 4 gun. While your gun is a beauty, to be sure, it is not comparable, or in the same price bracket as a type 4 gun.... It just will not fetch the money a type 4 gun will. You are further hampered by the fact that the single barrel is a 32". These barrels are just not as popular, nor in demand, as the 34" barrels are. Here again, it just won't sell for as much money as it would if it were a type 3 34" single. I'm not trying to burst your bubble here, I'm just attempting to point out what the market for these guns really is, nothing more... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. VNVET

VNVET Member

0   0   0

AT the risk of sounding ignorant, what's the difference between the type 3 and type 4 receiver? It must be internal because the basic shape of the receiver in these pictures look to me like the current models. My MX2005 has the same shape, minus the engraving of course. I also own a mx14 which does have a different shape receiver, no scallops. Just trying to learn something here.

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Rating - 95%
    24   1   0

drbortone, Although I do not wish to make comment about pricing, but I have to say you have a good looking gun.

VNVET, The term "Type 3" & "Type 4" only refer to the last forend iron design change in 1977, got nothing to do with the receiver change in the early '80s & 1992.

In early 1977 Perazzi made an improvement on the type 3 forend iron design, it includes a replaceable insert to keep the forearm tight if the gun got shot loose. The new type 4 also used different metal to wood attachment to avoid wood cracking from loosing screws on type 3.

Here's a pic of type 4 forends, and another pic comparing type 3/type 4 forend w/matching under lugs for your ref.

Two type 4 forends:

Type 4 forend & matching under lug on the left compare to type 3's:

7. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

0   0   0

Gino, I do like your MX-8 and you are free to ask whatever price you like. However I'm not sure I would consider tha Cabela's MX-8 "beat up", "used" maybe, but doesn't appear beat up to me. Of course there are a lot of things that you can't see in those pics.

$3000 doesn't seem terribly out of line for a used MX-8.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

drbortone. I think you have a nice looking gun there. I also think that you can ask anything you want for it. It's a free country, so far. Some have pointed out some things that make it less than ideal to expect a premium price. I'll not repeat those but will add my own ideas.

I believe that you would be far better off by piecing this gun out. Your photos do not show enough detail to classify the gun as pristine. Your description is not detailed enough to make a decent assessment of what you actually have.

First, What is the receiver's serial number and do all the serial numbers match? This includes the wood. What number stock? Who's choke tubes were installed in the 32" O/Us?

What trigger is in the gun? This gun may have the old skeleton frame which doesn't help it. Is there another trigger? There should be one that shoots the top barrel first and another that shoots the bottom barrel first. That's the way it came from the factory, most likely. If not then it should have a trigger that is selective.

You show a picture of the top lever that appears to be right in the middle. Since we don't know the serial number we can't age the gun but most of the older type 3 guns were made like this and the locking lugs needed to be replaced pretty soon. This is not an indictment of you gun but a fact. If it hasn't been shot much then it's probably an older 3 gun. Please let us know what the serial number is.

Picture of the full length of the ejectors could show one of a couple designs and date the version of the type 3 the gun might be. The older ejectors will have recessed screws in them. The newer ejectors won't have the screws.

Other than the choke tubes, have the bores been altered and if yes, then who did the work? What are the stock dimensions? Since it does not have the original recoil pad, the photo doesn't help us much.

Other than that, you need photos showing the inside of the receiver and the firing pin holes. A full length view of both sides of the gun. A shot showing the if the stock is neutral or cast one way or the other. Individual shots of each barrel set. Also a shot of the trigger assembly out of the gun.

Annnnnnnnd finally I still think you'll get much more out of the gun if you piece it out. Good Luck.

9. Barry C. Roach

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

One other thing. Have the barrels all been re-lugged so that pne forearm works for all of those barrels? Originally you should have one forearm for the top single and one for the original O/U.

10. VNVET

VNVET Member

0   0   0

Steve W, thanks for clearing up my confusion between the type 3 and 4 Perazzi's. I had always thought it was the receiver that was different.

11. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Same here, thanks for the clarification. I know have much better idea what I need to look for an o/u barrel set for my MX8 that is only 2 years old,

Barry C. Roach........if I wanted to have an older barrel reluged to fit my forend, Does it require a different lug or the relocation of the one that is on the barrel??? Please PM me so I don't miss your answer.

I think this explains why I have seen so many adds for people looking for type 4 fore end iron.

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

In a receiver..we see a type2 type3 and type4 the difference is where the top lever release pin is at.. to tell what's inside.. The type2 has a pin on the left hand side at 9 o'clock.. Was the same setup as we use today..just on the other side.. A triangular piece of metal kept the locking bolt in the open position instead of the top lever..

Then the type3..with the pin at 12 o'clock.. not Perazzi's best design..The top lever lock was a tiny pin..with tiny springs..The top lever return spring kept pressure on the top lever at all times..

Then the type4 came out.. with the top lever release on the right hand side.. Same as a type2.. Good strong design..

We see a bleedover in the factory..having a type3 receiver..and type 4 forend from the factory..then it was all type4/cat4 as we have today..

13. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

This thread seems to be the perfect place to recognize Steve W. as our resident Perazzi expert. The depth of his knowledge always amazes us. We are fortunate that Steve is a contributor on this site. He is always there to answer Perazzi questions whether it be from a mechanical aspect or one dealing with Perazzi history. Hopefully someday he will write an illustrated Perazzi book. If he does I would certainly buy the first edition if he would autograph it for me. Rick ~~~~Texas

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

We certainly need a new book..updated from Carls book..Alot has happened since that time.. I think if he ever took the time to write one.. it would be an excellent seller..

15. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Rating - 95%
    24   1   0

Thank you for your kind words, you're certainly more than welcome. Including the famous TX rifleman with a recent record of 13 shots 12 kills, using an equally famous 1948 Winchester rifle. :)

My dear friend Karl Lippard's book was published in 1994, at the time factory records were not available here, and although Karl was the G.M. of Perazzi USA at one time, he still got some mis-informed datas. To correct some of it, he deleted the attachment sheet in the later sales.

Some of my records were based on the hand written log books from Perazzi, ser. #s by ser. #s, but they're not complete. It was very time consuming, and my Italian certainly doesn't help. :)

To answer Rick Barker's question regarding convert type 3 under lug to type 4, it can be done without relocating the lug. It needs a weld up & heat treatment job if you want to do it correctly, not cheap, but doable.

The best way is to buy a type 3 barrel that came with it's matching forend.

The ONLY thing you need to watch for on type 3 forend is, keep the screws tight. Some later type 3 forend had counter screws to prevent this from happening, and it certainly solved the problem.

As for my friend Mike/PBigBore's comment about the top lever release locations, there're indeed some interesting combinations of receiver & forend mix simply because they were not changed at the same period of time.

Here's a 1981 example of a type 4 forend on a receiver with top lever release on 12.

[​IMG]

16. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

0   0   0

Please post the serial number, exact stock dimensions & stock number, details on the 30" bbls and good pics of the forend iron. Might be interested in the gun with the 30" bbls only.

17. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

So how did you shoot the top-single if you never converted one of the triggers to shoot top barrel first?? Maybe you haven't shot the gun?? Do all the numbers match including the trigger?

18. Barry C. Roach

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Easy to change barrel selection on any standard P Trigger.

19. drbortone

drbortone Member

0   0   0

No I never shot the top single. The trigger set was release so I never tried instead had it converted to pull pull so I could have it as a backup. I only shoot Bunker.

20. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

You need to get your stories straight Gino. In your other add you state that you DID shoot the single barrel. How is anyone going to trust you if you keep switching gears? Furthermore, I have never seen anyone abuse the "bump" system to the degree that you do. You seem to think nothing of bumping your add 3-6 times PER DAY. Very inconsiderate to the other posters!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
perazzi mx 8 barrels for sale

perazzi mx 8 mirage 4 barrel set