1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S Model 21, #3 engraved,30, lettered, Vent rib

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Jim Veta, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Veta

Jim Veta Active Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

I have for sale a beautiful 1949 12ga. Winchester model 21 with #3 engraving. Serial number series is 25xxx. Factory engraved confirmed with Cody Museum letter coming. I already have the original factory offices record sheet. Beaver tail, single selctive trigger, Factory Vent rib, 30" barrels. The bores are .731 the right choke is .015 the left choke is .032. The barrels are marked IM/F. The right barrel choke is .015 and considered Improved modified and confirmed on page 94 of the Schwing "The Model 21" book. The right barrel has not been opened it is original. The left barrel is correct to the barrel marking and is a full choke. The wood is flame crotch. LOP is 14" to a checkered butt. Gun was restocked by Galazan according to the previous owner. The forend has kidney pattern checkering. Bluing wear is excellent except for some wear on the bottom tang. The engraving is beautiful with understated minimal scroll on both receiver sides. A single setter in a hunting scene is engraved on the underside of the receiver. No bluing wear. DAC-1 5/8", DAH-2.5". I have chimed the barrels. The bores are clean, unpitted and shiny. I am pricing this winchester 2-3k less then any others you may see for sale of comparable quality and grade. Breakdown case is included. Felt lined compartments. $9700.00. contact Jim Veta 310-291-1784

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

0   0   0

She's a beauty.

-Gary

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Great looking gun, Jim!

4. bdshooter

bdshooter Member

0   0   0

Jim,
    I will again make you my standard offer for your gun. Please let me know. Mark

5. plabels466

plabels466 Member

0   0   0

Absoulutly Stunning Winchester Jim. I had one like that many years ago.....Pete

6. Jim Veta

Jim Veta Active Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

7. Jim Veta

Jim Veta Active Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

8. dss8110

dss8110 Member

0   0   0

Can you finance it we here in Texas are poor.Thank you Jim great gun

9. Jim Veta

Jim Veta Active Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

10. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

0   0   0

11. esetter

esetter Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Jim, that is a great looking 21.

12. Jim Veta

Jim Veta Active Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Jim, your choke has not been opened. Your chokes are right as rain. Odd but true, the Winchester improved modified is normally cut at .015. I hope you post a scan of your letter on this thread when you get it.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Factory MOD choke was .015 not IMOD. Due to the recoil characteristics of the 21, the left barrel is usually more open and used for the first shot.

This was probably a special order gun if the left barrel was Full and the right IM.

15. Jim Veta

Jim Veta Active Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

16. Jim Veta

Jim Veta Active Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

17. eightbore

0   0   0

Setterman, Schwing published the factory choke chart, Modified .010 to .015, Improved Modified, .015 to .018. However, I am not relying on Schwing. I have been measuring Winchester chokes for many years and the IM is usually very light. I will stick to my opinion that this gun is factory original. By the way, a tight choke on the right is not a "usual" thing with the 21. It is quite unusual. The IM right and F left is the factory norm for a trap gun ordered with those chokes. It is true that often John Olin ordered his own Model 21s to be choked tighter on the right.

18. Jim Veta

Jim Veta Active Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

I appreciate the comments from both eightbore and Setterman. I have been very fortunate to have owned several Model 21's. In all cases, the right tube was always the more open tube. I am not saying that Setterman is wrong. I am just speaking from my own experience. As far as the right choke being a lt. mod when miked but it is stamped I.M. I think it may have been opened a bit. I wish I knew for certain but I don't. I went through my Model 21 reference book trying to find something about this But i could not. Eightbore, if you have any reference book info. that I could get from you about that, please forward to me if you can. I would appreciate it. Thanks to both of you guys. Now why don't one of you buy the gun and really make my day. Thanks. Jim Veta

19. eightbore

0   0   0

Jim, as I said and wrote, Improved Modified in a Winchester 21 barrel, according to Ned Schwing's book, is between .015 and .018. My experience is that it is usually closer to the .015, as your gun is bored. Please let us know when you get your Cody letter on this wonderful gun.

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Interesting information. I have owned (4) 21's and all of these had a full choke in the right barrel and a lesser choke in the left. I know of 3 others the same way, and 2 the opposite. Of the 4 guns I've owned, those with a MOD choke were all .015 +/-.001. IMOD chokes were .020 -.022. Perhaps many of these guns were factory orders?

Regardless, I too would like to know the official factory "standard" if someone finds that information on both choke constrictions and which barrel was considered the first fire.

Great looking gun in excellant condition!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.