1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S Les Baer Custom 45ACP SOLD !!!!

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Cody4gold, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cody4gold

Cody4gold Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

For Sale

Les Baer Custom 45ACP ,shot very little comes with 2 S/S 8 round mags Like New condition ,serial number 1414xx retails for $2395.00 new price is $1595.00 + shipping to your FFL , i'm selling for a friend any questions call him at 616-299-3918 after 4pm EST ask for Mark...
    cody4gold_2010_28041912.jpg

cody4gold_2010_28041913.jpg

cody4gold_2010_28041914.jpg

cody4gold_2010_28041915.jpg

cody4gold_2010_28041916.jpg

cody4gold_2010_28041917.jpg

cody4gold_2010_28041918.jpg

cody4gold_2010_28041919.jpg

cody4gold_2010_28041920.jpg

cody4gold_2010_28041921.jpg

cody4gold_2010_28041922.jpg

cody4gold_2010_28041923.jpg

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Baer only uses their own frames dont they?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. philk

philk Member

0   0   0

Somebody needs to shorten the screw head holding the mag release button on. Don`t think Baer uses skate board tape either

4. Cody4gold

Cody4gold Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

And to GN7777777 shame on you for the person who knows everthing on everything you should know that Les Baer worked at and was the head of the custom shop at Springfield Armory ,so please do a little research next time please !

5. g7777777

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I dont know if he was the "head" of the custom shop but he did work there for a while and was known for bullseye guns- before them, during, and after he and another couple of employees left

So my question remains the same- or maybe reverse- did Springfield have him put his name on the guns he worked on

Or did he build this gun with their frame?

It is a stainless gun so it isnt one of the ones he made before springfield probably

Gene

6. build4u

build4u Member

0   0   0

I shot one of my first big tournaments in Indiana watching Les when he was a pretty good shooter in 1985. Les did run the Springfield Armory Custom Shop. By memory it was in the early 90s. They built me two 38 super guns to shoot at a special price about that time, it was the early era of what I would call production custom. Sprigfield pretty much started the concept and by memory it was with Les. When Les went off on his own again he built at least some guns on Springfield Armory slides and frames for sure. They had the back of the slide deeply serrated like the one shown instead of checkering. Some of his work at that time was very much like the Springfield style with the common thread. The slide is also more than likely a Springfield Armory slide with out factory markings. It looks like the hard chrome we ran in that era that was not glass beaded first. The screw in the mag release buttons are 4/40 and they take a beating if the replacement screw was shortened a touch and or checkered it would be fine.

7. Cody4gold

Cody4gold Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks for the info build4u !

Did you read that Gene !

8. Kerz

Kerz Member

0   0   0

Les did run the Springfield shop for a few years and before had his own shop in PA, where I bought my first custom. My question, why would a Springfield gun have a Baer slide?
    Vic

9. WillBill

WillBill Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

When Les went on his own he also used Caspian frames with the Springfield Armory slide. A Baer with that build won the 1995 .45 national championship at Camp Perry. His craftsmanship was, and still is, top class.

10. gunfighter001

gunfighter001 Member

0   0   0

Looks like LB slide and after market parts. not 100% sure

11. watchknut

watchknut TS Member

0   0   0

I just spoke to Mark and he is a really nice guy. He bought the gun 4 years ago from the original owner, a guy at his gun club, who had it built for competitive shooting. It has a Nowlin barrel and has a full length guide rod. Mark is not a 1911 guy and bought it because he liked it--I am by no means a 1911 expert, just wanted to let y'all know a few details. They is no documentation stating that the gun was built by Les.

12. build4u

build4u Member

0   0   0

After market parts as they are from almost every 1911 variation out there even today or they are copies. The grip safety is an Ed Brown, as well as the thumb safety, and the hammer appears to be as well. The Mag well is an S&A, the trigger is a Videcki, the rear sight is a Bomar. The Mags appear to be Chip Mcormicks or they were also called Shooting Stars. The mag base pads look like Aerendandos. The slide is a Springfield Armory. When building my guns we could buy them in the white, no markings with or without front cocking serrations. They were simply pulled from production before Springfield was stamped, The Baer logo is a simple etching. I shot two of them enough until they had total failures cracking in several places. I will place a healthy bet Baer does not build a barrel. The modern guns probably are made by Kart for Baer I seem to remember he liked them. I had Nowlin barrels in several of my guns in 9x21 and they can be very accurate. Karts are a great barrel as well.

13. g7777777

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

That is what I thought-- it might be

Wonder why the listner was so quick to shoot my question down-- I mean it is pretty obvious from the photos isnt it?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

build4u-- understand- it might be one built by him out of others parts-

That is what my original question was- but timing wise wasnt certain when Springfield offered stainless frames

As far as Les being the head of the shop- as I understand it- Les was building guns there- the boss usually isnt sitting on the table with a quota to turn out is he?

Regardless we have one opinon it is a Baer gun out of parts or copies and several that are skeptical

14. build4u

build4u Member

0   0   0

Gene do not misunderstand me that is a BAER gun. It is older but still built by Les, probably when he actually built them himself. They all have parts from various manufacturers or have copied the parts.

15. Skeetbender

Skeetbender Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Call the nice lady at Baer and see if they have any record of the gun.

I called on a Baer I was looking at and they could tell me every thing about the gun including that slide had been refinished by them at one time. One of my better purchases.

16. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have two guns which Les has worked on/built over the years. A Colt 38 super he built 25 years ago with a short slide for 9 pin competition. He then converted that to a competition top end for IPSC. I did ruin the comp with the hot loads I was shooting and he rebuilt that for me. My husband had his Springfield 45 fitted with a comp top end for IPSC. I worked for Les in the early 90's when he had his shop in Rock Island and yes, he did at that time build guns on different frames as well as on his own. I don't know if he still does at this time. I am just saying that yes, he did build guns on different frames.

Sue

17. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Eddiefromoverlook , there is absolutely nothing superior about a 70 series Gold Cup, or an 80 series either. I have both. Relative to a Baer, they are junk.

18. hardrite

hardrite Member

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

I'll take it. PM sent.

thanks

19. build4u

build4u Member

0   0   0

A few of you guys have me laughing. People who knew him,own, and or owned his guns, and owned several built while he ran the Custom Shop telling you the truth and Gene is guessing at best and you agree. I was heavily involved in the sport, knew most of the manufacturers and still produce three products in to the sport used world wide. The frame is not stainless it is hardchrome plated. Is it hard to Imagine he ran Springfield Custom and then built guns on thier frame and slides, hello wake up and smell the Maxwell House. He started in the business building guns on whatever he supplied or that a customer brought in that was acceptable. Anyone who thinks any of these newer companies produce all of their own parts in house is lost. If they are they are copies of someone elses design. The Ed Brown grip safety is in Kimbers,Les Baers and almost any other 1911 custom or semi custom gun. Bill Wilson had his own not sure what he uses today. When Les joined Springfield Armory in 1990 as my photos will show they created the concept of production volume custom guns. When Les and Springfield seperated in 1992 he went back on his own. It did not immediatly start on the large scale it is today he built it to that scale. I have every issue of American Handgunner since 83 you can see the growth just by the covers and stories. By the way the Custom shop was taken over in 1992 by Jack Weigand another talented man. Look at the pictures of the guns. Same mag well on the comp gun, same grip safety only without the memory hump,Same trigger, same hard chrome. the hammer shape in the pictures were a shape made special for Springfield. The guns shown had Wilson thumb safeties not Ed Brown. Wait one of the largest manufacturers in the world had someone elses parts? can't be so. Sorry guys I cant help myself on this one.

20. build4u

build4u Member

0   0   0

I am having trouble getting images to load.
    build4u_2008_0303.jpg

and the last
    build4u_2008_03031.jpg

build4u_2008_03031.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

les baer no front serrations