1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S Laporte Bunker Traps

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GaryR, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaryR

GaryR TS Member

F/S Laporte Bunker Traps
    15 machines on adjustable base pads, voice mic's and electrical hand cocked low time $3,000

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

$3000 each or $3000 for all 15 machines and controls?

Which Portland area club is this all coming out of?

3. GaryR

GaryR TS Member

The price is $3,000 total FOB and they are not coming out of any Portland or Oregon Gun Club

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Where are they coming from? Which range?

So for $3grand your selling all you need except it sounds like no computer control to set up and run a fully operational 15 machine international trap bunker ... is that correct?

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Tell me about the control system. Who made it. Also where are these traps. Need to know becaus eof the freight.

Tom

6. GaryR

GaryR TS Member

The Traps have the Laporte Controller, they are located in Portland OR where they have been stored and they came out of Canada many years ago.

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

This is a mechanical or electrical controller and does it work?

TB

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Tom ... just because that 410 dude blew up a couple of your BS-O-Meters today be careful on this one. We both know that 15 machines and such for $3grand is ... well ... do you have a back up spare BS-O-Meter you could use?

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Krieghoff sells an explosion proof meter for Bravo Sierra. It will take BS up to 20000 PSI. However, they cannot warrant it against damage, when used on this website. LOL

10. Baber

Baber TS Member

The K meter must be like the cracked chamber a friend had that they would not repair

On topic. If these traps are for real and they work the price is about right. The controls are probably worthless as the rules and standards have changed.

Real question is.... Is this for real?

Tom

11. GaryR

GaryR TS Member

It is a mechanical controller to set the sequence and then it operates electrically for the target throwing and it was working fine when it came out. It has been well stored It was shot over by Olympic and World Medalist John Primrose amongst others.

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

As I said the rules for controllers have changed over the years and mechnical systems no longer meets the standards so in reality its 15 traps for. Sale. $200 each for the traps is ok if they are servicable as stated. Am not interested but will look around to see if I can find a buyer. We need more bunkers

Tom

13. Allen Chubb

Allen Chubb Active Member

GaryR,

Can you please tell me what range in Canada these traps were taken out of and also what year they were removed and put into storage? You can send me an email at the address listed above.

Thank You,

Allen Chubb

14. GaryR

GaryR TS Member

The Traps are from Edmonton Canada, they were removed by me in the early 80's and have been well stored for about 25 years. The old Gun Club had a bunker put together by World Champion John Primrose.

15. trapdoctor

trapdoctor TS Member

I was at the Edmonton club and saw these traps. I don't remember them being made by Laporte. They were Spice made. I will look in the shop to day and double check the name spelling. I even have a manual!

jim

16. GaryR

GaryR TS Member

These Bunker Traps certainly are LaPorte Traps from the Old Edmonton Gun Club as I helped remove them. Also included is a complete Rossini Voice Activated Microphone system. Been trying to post the pictures, hasn't worked yet.

17. Allen Chubb

Allen Chubb Active Member

Trapdoctor,

Yes, they are Laporte hand set, hand cock traps with long arms. I assembled some intelligence on this situation. They were removed from the Edmonton club in 1978 before the Strathcona range was opened just prior to the Commonwealth Games. Yes, the new traps at the Strathona range were in fact (Spieth) made in Esslingen, Germany. The problem is that the long armed LaPorte machines are no longer used. They throw a great target, but the muzzle velocity is too slow. The long arm allows the target to ride the rail longer, which in turn gives the target the ability to acquire enough spin in order to achieve the mandatory distance. This presents a much slower speed then what we experience in today's Olympic Trap targets. Another problem is that they can not be used to shoot International Double Trap and you'd have to buy new electronics as well as wiring harness.

I spoke to someone who shot over this machinery. They liked the target presentation, but if you'd want to use it in today's environment, you'd have to put new shorter arms on them as well as acquire the fore mentioned electronics and wiring. This would most likely require you to send the 34+ year old machines back to LaPorte USA for the retro fitting, if that is even possible.

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb

18. GaryR

GaryR TS Member

I appreciate the attempts at trying to shed some light on these LaPorte Traps but I find there is alot of error and information that is simply not corrrect. The only minor change for controllers that has changed is the old rules call for .1 to .2 second delay for the trap release and is not difficult to disable to provide instant release per the new rules. This is the only change as far as Olympic Trap. And yes it would take some auxillary type of control if one desired to shoot Doubles. This is not a mechanical controller it is a mechanical-electrical as provided for in the current rules.

Whomever provided this information to Mr. Chubb was mistaken on nearly all of it. The Commonwealth Games were in 1976 at Strathcona Range and the Old Edmonton Gun Club was not decommisioned until about the early 80's. I have shot at both though the old club was not being used much after the new club was opened. The long arms on the LaPorte Traps are (24") for cocking the traps. There are no long throwing arms on a Laporte Trap. The throwing arm is 15.5" from the pivot to the end. There are no shorter arms for LaPorte Traps nor are they needed. The spin is set on a target only by the diameter of the target and how fast you are throwing it in a standard target arm throwing system. Also the target specifications have not changed between the new and old rules. If an arm was longer it would have the advantage of lowering acceleration, lowering angular velocity of the arm but the target would leave the arm with the same spin and forward velocity. Target spin does not affect the drag in a significant way and higher spinning rates will increase drag in a small amount, the main drag is still forward velocity. The big part that spin provides is target stability. Actually shorter arms limit the speed that a target can be thrown because the work being done on a target (acceleration) is increased as the distance the work is done on beomes shorter and the result is broken targets as they can't take the force needed to launch. These Traps actually threw a faster target than the current Olympic Standard which is now 76m +_1m at 2 meters elevation. The old setting had 11 traps that would throw 80 meters at the 2m elevation. When you compile all the data between the old setting and the new the old settings averaged 76.74m +_1m so the new settings are slightly slower on average. The old settings were harder to shoot from the aspect that the speeds on some settings were significantly faster. A further difficulty arises from the various 2 meter elevation targets from 70 to 80 meters (averaging 76.74 metes) as there is a fair bit of speed difference in the 10 meter distance difference the targets are going. One important factor that raises the difficulty on the new Rules are the 24 gram target loads. The real advantage to the new settings is that all targets are going the same speed and setting the range up is much easier.

There is no retrofitting needed for these traps as they were used when the distances and speeds the targets were thrown were greater on some settings and we know it is easy to reduce the distance a trap will throw. The spin of the target is not greater nor less than standard (I went and checked my Automatic Trap machine and it's arm measured 17.25") spin. The controller is currently legal for Olympic Trap with the delay of .1 to .2 disabed. I concede that it would take some kind of auxillary control to throw Doubles if that is even important to the user.

Thank You for Your Attention and Interest
    Gary Robinson
    Aeronautical Engineer
    C L MAXX specializing in Hi-lift Aerodynamics
    Coefficient of Lift MAXimum

19. lumper

lumper TS Member

"Gary Robinson Aeronautical Engineer C L MAXX specializing in Hi-lift Aerodynamics Coefficient of Lift Maximum"

With a title and such like that I am sure Gary knows the correct scoop on this equipment.

20. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Gary, Would you help the new owner set them up? Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mattarelli curl