1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S KS-5 Arabesque

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AveragEd, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Here's a good example of the old adage about a picture being worth a thousand words. These were beautiful KS-5s and only 30 or 35 of them were made. The receivers were fully engraved in a fine scroll pattern similar to but even finer than the K-80 Super Scroll grade. And since the engraving was finer, there was more of it to cover the entire receiver.

Krieghoff made them in 1986, as I recall, and first offered them for sale at that year's Grand for $5,000 or $5,500. But they didn't sell real well because a standard grade K-80 with one barrel listed for $6,200 back then and could be made into a combo later on. Accordingly, Krieghoff lowered the price somewhat and sold most of the remaining ones without cases at the following year's Grand.

Like anything of high quality that is attractive and no longer made, these command a premium price and can only continue to do so. I gather from the original post that this gun comes with two barrels - if so, a nice chunk of the purchase price could be recovered by selling one of the barrels. If the gun's condition is good, a photo posted here would probably allow this gun to appeal to potential buyers who have no idea what a Scroll Arabesque grade KS-5 is.

Ed

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Yes, it is. The engraving is finer than the Barvarias - the Arabesque guns have the oval area in the middle of the engraving on the receiver sides like a Barvaria but the engraving is all of the scroll variety.

I bought one of them used in 1991 and was more accustomed to the machine rolled "engraving" on a Remington 1100, for instance. On several occasions, I spent an hour just looking at the engraving on that KS-5, seeing where the same pattern on a matching area was ever so slightly different, indicating that it truly was done by hand and that every one would be slightly unique.

K-80s and KS/KX-5s are very popular - almost "common" - in this area, but it still is ironic that of the few that were ever made, there were three of those Scroll Arabesque KS-5s around here at one time. One is still here and sees use every once in a while, another belongs to that person's son who has relocated to the Pittsburgh area and mine was in Ohio the last I knew.

Ed

3. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.