1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S Hodaka Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Mike K P, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I have for sale a 1973 Hodaka 125cc Wombat motorcycle. It is a bike that is about 80% through a restoration project. New knobby tires, New seat, Frame has been painted. It needs to have the stator put back together and a throttle assembly. Also needs new fenders. It's a beautiful bike and I'd rather keep it but right now I could use the money more than the bike. $1,000.00. I live in northern Illinois and would be willing to drive a reasonable distance to deliver it. Email me for pictures or you can call my cell @ 630-251-8721. Thanks, Mike Pracht.

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

How cool and rare is that!!!

It was the Ace model that put Hodaka on the map. AMA HOF Max Bubeck distributed Hodaka and did some amazing things with one...like introduced the 125 Wombat by riding it from L.A. to Denver to a dealer confab. Max is alive and well at 92 years young in Palm Springs, California. "You could look it up"...

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

VERY cool bike from a cool era for bikes. Brings back memories of my old Suzuki TC125 w/ dual-range gearbox and my deadly TM400. But the Hodakas were a little more exotic than my Suzukis.

-Gary

4. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I certainly remember my Wombat....great off the road...it was an enduro bike...remember those? Now they call them "dual sports" I believe. The Wombat was light and nimble...the only disadvantage to me was the fact that you had to premix the gas and oil for its two-stroke engine...Hodaka had not yet adopted "oil injection"...

bluedsteel

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Premixing gas & oil, you say? Aaaaaaah -- I love the smell of 2-Stroke in the morning!!

-Gary

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I learned how to ride on a Dirt Squirt 100. Pretty cool chrome dirtbike with a clam dude on the aircleaner cover. Man it was fun riding that motorcycle on the tails. This is what mine looked like (not an actual photo of mine).

<a href="http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm301/ecshooter/?action=view&current=bikepics-1783320-320.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

ss

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

"Dirt Squirt"... "Combat Wombat"... Hodaka had some of the coolest names.

-Gary

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Not downgrading your bike as I would love to have it but as I remember they had the rear suspension of a pogo stick. I came very close one time to buying a Hodaka but wound up buying an open class Yamaha. Here is my last dirt bike. A 550 Yamaha single. I was crossing a creek in the Red River Gorge in Kentucky 25 years ago.
    [​IMG]

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Great picture, HD. Are you sure that wasn't a Yamaha TT-500? Or maybe it was an XT550 from the early 80s?

-Gary

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

HD,

Man that looks like fun! My last dirt bike was a '88 YZ490 that I set up for woods riding (man what a handful). I used to belong to the philosophy of too much is never enough. Lol.

I've been kinda keeping my eyes peeled for a clean DRZ400E Suzuki. I've been too many years without a dirt bike.

ss

11. Fireball

Fireball Member

I had a DR650 for quite a few years. I just got back into a bike. Kawasaki ZR1100. This darn thing can almost fly.

12. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I had a Combat Wombat and it was great. More low end torque than most other two strokes and more funky looking than all of them. I saw this one and grabbed it last summer. Part of me hopes it doesn't sell then my dream can live on! Or maybe it's my one last frantic grab at my youthful days..........? Mike.

13. loop02

loop02 Member

Do you remember Ossa Dirt bikes? Now there was a bike!

14. loop02

loop02 Member

Do you remember Ossa Dirt bikes? Now there was a bike!

15. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

GW, yes it was an XT550 and as I stated, it was 25 or so years ago. That would put it around 1985. I was 42 years old at that time. Loop2, yes I remember the Ossa. While I never rode one I do remember the slogan was "she's a bear". I rode mostly enduros and hare scrambles and while most of my friends rode Husky's and Kawasaki's, I was brand loyal and rode only Yamaha. I never had a Yamaha let me down or leave me in the woods. The last enduro bike I had was a 400 YZ I altered to ride enduros.
    [​IMG]

16. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

At 67 years old my dirt bike days are long gone. I now haunt the area county roads on this little number. It does a great job of getting me and the wife around. This is me and my wife on the Tail of the Dragon in the Smokey Mountains last summer.
    [​IMG]

17. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

Hey loop02, do you what Ossa spelled backwards is?

18. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Yes I have fond memories of my Hodaka 90. I worked at the Honda Shop in Ventura CA and got it as a basket case for $75. after a couple of months and another $100 I had a very cool bike.

I remember starting it one morning, and my mother rushing out into the garage to yell at me,,, I spun a half donut and aimmed the wide open expansion chamber directly at her and sat there and revved the shit out of it for about 15 seconds,,, then I dropped the clutch and burned rubber out of there not not return till well after dinner.

One of the most satisfying moments of defiance in my whole my life!

I loved that bike!! my mother didn't! Nothing gives the finger like a wide open 2 stroke!

Randy

19. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

I just sold this awesome 200cc Beta Trials machine this past Fall. Was a load of fun riding it on our 5 acre wooded & sloped lot!!! You can actually jump it over big logs - really unbelievable how powerful and nimble these things are. kept my boots and Trials hemet though - kind of wishful thinking to get something else. I had a Hodaka 100 as a kid and it would not keep up with my buddy's Yamaha 125. That 125 was an awesome machine. I always wanted the Hodaka 125.
    [​IMG]

20. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

Heres me on my bad boy!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.