1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S: Glock Model 20, 10MM, New/unfired

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Kolar Dan, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

0   0   0

Hey BigBore you need to buy this for me.
    Sonny Daniels

2. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

0   0   0

Ah PBB, does the 10 MM now hold up? I believe that's why "they" came out with the 40. Nice to know that it likely works.

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

0   0   0

Well, having carried a Glock 23 .40 S&W for twenty years, I felt pretty secure. The stopping power was right up there with the .45 ACP, held more rounds, did not have to be cocked, was light weight [for concealed carry] and always went 'bang'. Not as accurate as a Sig, but I was not concerned about putting holes in paper. The Glock Model 20 is a superior gun in a serious caliber. Just recommend a full size hand for a manly man's gun. Fred

4. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

0   0   0

John Malcom, excellent write up. With your extensive knowledge of the history of the 10mm and 40 S&W you would may be interested to see how things have come almost full circle.

The INS a decade or so decided that the Border Patrol needed a handgun round that would be relatively flat shooting out to 50 yds for the times they have to engage a bad guy in the desert and are trying to get back to their vehicle for a long gun.

After numerous ballistic testing, INS came up with a receipe for a hot 40 cal S&W load. A 155 grain bullet at an average of 1190 FPS not to exceed 37,800 PSI if memory serves correctly. I think the load has a working pressure of around 36,000 PSI. Where as I think most 40 cal loads are around 32-33000 PSI.

This is currently the standard issue round which is produced by Winchester, Remington, and Federal. These rounds aren't sold to the general public just because of the high PSI.

So this round has a lot of bark and bite. The muzzle concussion from a 3.5- 4"" or so compact Sig 229, HKP2000SK, HKP2000, HK Compact USP is awesome. Lots of flame shooting from the muzzle as well, neat to watch in low light shoots.

So we have come almost full circle, the FBI dumbed down the 10mm into the 40 with most 155 grain to 185 grain bullets averaging 950-1075 or so to now beefing up the 40 to get almost magnum performance.

5. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

0   0   0

PerazziBigBore,

The above link talks about the typical .40 S&W and how that working pressure is around 33,000 PSI with 35,000 PSI being max.

Below is the testing for the INS load. Again notice the max PSI of not to exceed 37,800 SAAMI. The working pressure for this particular + P round is 36,000 PSI which is above max in a normal round.

Take a look at the following wikipedia site on the 10mm and the MAX pressure is 37,500 PSI. Again my point being that the INS round was and is a very high pressure round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10mm_Auto

Regardless the very small difference in case lenght explains why the pressure is very similar between the 40 and 10mm.

6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

0   0   0

Sorry John Malcom for hijacking your thread, but here is the original test data for the 40 S&W.

Regardless the Glock 10MM rocks, great price!

7. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

0   0   0

I'm old school, I stick with my Thompson Center 7mm TCU. Single shot, but it will knock down a ram big time.

8. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

0   0   0

Kind of like a .38 and 357 mag or a 308 and 30-06.

9. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

0   0   0

Yes the above data is what the INS adopted some years ago, Border Patrol was a component of the Immigration & Naturalization Service. Now, even with Homeland Security and Border Patrol falling under Customs and Border Protection (CBP) along with all the Inspectors to include the legacy Customs and Immigration inspectors this round is still being used.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) who is also in Homeland Security also uses this round, currently out of Sig 229DAK. CBP is shooting HKP2000. There are a few HK Compact USP that are still in service as well as a few who are carrying the HKP2000SK as a backup.

So with CBP Border Patrol Agents, CBP Inspectors (combo immigration, customs, agriculture), ICE Special Agents, ICE Deportation Officers, and ICE Immigration Enforcement Agents there are a whole lot of people carrying this round.

The muzzle blast is just awesome with this round. I ran 3-4 rounds through a chrono and most were around 1175fps give or take. That was out of an HK Compact USP which s just shy of a 4" barrel.

10. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

0   0   0

I have a 20 and have used in polite society and idpa matches for years. I also carry it on a daily basis. I have run well in excess of 15k rounds through it and still as accurate as ever. Love this gun and caliber. Add a longer barrel and it makes a decent hunting pistol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.