1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S **Extremely rare 1911 45 acp**

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by MTA Tom, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

0   0   0

The gun looks like it's had a "melt" treatment. None of the edges look sharp. Are you sure markings weren't removed in the course of previous refinishing(s)?

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Only know what I was told about it. Bulge.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I doubt that this is a special ops weapon- what are the markings on the individual parts?

Get a 1911 book and look at how individual parts of the war and pre war guns were made

This gun probably isnt special ops and even if it is- you need an ATF letter or it isnt legal

You might want to check the criminal penalty for that

a hint- there is one crime that doesnt require intent and there are a number of related crimes that do require intent

You may also want to make 100 percent certain the ATF agrees with you because "I was told so" isnt going to help on a non intent crime- and btw advertising on a web page before being certain might get you on Americas most stupid criminal show--

There is absolutely no hotter button issue for the ATF now than the guns moving back and forth between Mexico and the US or those likely to move back and forth

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Along with what gene says if I was interested in buying this how could i with no numbers to get it registered?
    Chris

5. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

0   0   0

Not to be a downer, but...

It could also be a GI 1911 that has been heavily buffed, bead blasted and reblued. It would be hard to prove that it was anything special, let alone that it did originally come without markings of any kind.

Does the barrel have any markings? Anything stamped on the inside?

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

0   0   0

A very interesting piece bulge. Like everything, a letter of authenticity would make it very valuable if it is so rare. An expert who could verify it would also know if it was just refinished or original equipment. Gotta be someone out there who could do that for you.

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

0   0   0

8. FIB

FIB Member

0   0   0

I'm not a 1911 expert but I agree 100% with ccw1911.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

What happened to the extremely rare 1911??? I wanted to compare it to my extremely rare 1911A1 military issue. Well maybe not extremely rare but it is a ARMY issue 1911 with the whole "Property Of US Government" markings and original bakelite grips blah blah... What did i miss here anyway???---Matt

10. 3on8

3on8 Member

0   0   0

Hey, I am looking for an expert. An old friend make me buy his 1911 colt. It is an US Army model that has an 8XXX serial number. From what I can tell, the R/I stamp on it is for the Rock Island arsonal were it was reparkerized for WWII. The gun shows very little wear. From my under standing, the armorys would piece guns together. Is there a way to tell if the slide or barrel is orginal with the gun? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

11. grntitan

0   0   0

Field strip it and look for matching part #'s. I can't remember though if all the parts are marked or not. If not someone should be able to at least tell you if the barrel and slide are correct for the period and gun. I'll go look at mine.......I'm back, the only markings i could find was a SP on the barrel where my ink pen is pointing. I don't reall know crap on the history of these as far as that goes but i was told by my gunsmith that it looked all original inside. Not sure if he made that up or he knows something i don't know(wouldn't be hard). Here is mine anyway.---Matt
    grntitan_2009_250388.jpg

grntitan_2009_250389.jpg

12. grntitan

0   0   0

ccw1911--Hey thanks alot for the website. You were right about the great info there. I've had mine apart this morning and found all the special ID markings on all areas. Mine is not a 1911A1 as i thought, just a US Army model .45 with the serial number not under the UNITED STATES PROPERTY marking. It was a Government issue serial #44087X making it a 1918 manufacture date gun. Thanks again---Matt

13. 3on8

3on8 Member

0   0   0

Thanks for the info. My frame was build in 1912, but the slide is off an newer model. It should have the Colt logo near the hammer on the slide. Instead it is in the middle. I guessed it was not correct since one of the patented dates was 1913, but I thought maybe they were delievered in 1913?? Any idea what is it worth?

Thanks
    RL

3on8_2009_20122.jpg

3on8_2009_20123.jpg

14. grntitan

0   0   0

RL---Is that the original finish or has it been redone?? That plays a huge role in your guns value. Perhaps cutting it in half even if redone professonialy. Also the fact that the slide and frame are different numbers will hurt it as well. Mine is all matching but unfortuantly my grandpa thought it would make a great gift to me and had it redone before hand(God love him). He was in the Navy and traded a Army GI a Type 99 Jap rifle for the Colt. I think my Grandpa got the beter end of that trade, LOL I still have the original Bakelite grips but use these wood ones for fear of cracking. I also have a replacement barrel i use when shooting it.---Matt
    grntitan_2009_2503100.jpg

grntitan_2009_2503101.jpg

15. 3on8

3on8 Member

0   0   0

grntitan,

In the second PIX you can see the E.E.C. stamp by the trigger. The frame is actually a Remington from 1918. Thanks to the site:

http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/1911infopage.htm

The finishes look like they match, but I have no real idea. By the markings, it was refinished for WWII by the Rock Island Arsonal. The guy before me had it for 30 some years and never fired it. I have yet to fire it and will not until I find out its value. I need to check on the barrel. The site above also provides some information on it.

RL

16. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

0   0   0

Matt: you could always have your gun re-parkerized. Turnbull Restorations could actually do that work and return the value to your gun. They would also increase the depth of any engraved letters that had been buffed off by the previous bluing efforts

Just because it was blued doesn't mean it can't be redone to the correct finish with out killing the value. In fact with Turnbull doing the work it would no doubt enhance the value dramatically.

www.turnbullrestorations.com

Randy

17. grntitan

0   0   0

Randy---Thanks, i recorded the website and i may check into that. I think it would look better regardless of the value point.---Matt

18. grntitan

0   0   0

Randy--That site would not work. I'll Google that company. I found it and posted above. Thanks again.---Matt

19. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

0   0   0

Matt: sorry about the link, but this outfit does REAL nice work. I've seen several of their restored 1886 Winchester rifles for sale at the Basspro in LV. $34,999.00! All of them started as clunkers.

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.