1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S ENGLISH WALNUT MARBLE AND FEATHER F/S

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Mr.M, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I've had a bunch of requests from folks who want to buy freshly cut English Walnut blanks at a discount and invest their time in the drying process. As I'm putting these Franquette English blanks in my drying racks, I'll set aside a few each week and offer them at significant reductions from the price they'll sell at when dry. All will be sound blanks with ends completely sealed with an industry approved wax emulsion called Anchor Seal.

All blanks will be shipped with closely matching forend blanks and directions for proper storage during the drying period. Each blank shipped will have a seven day return privilege with no questions asked as long as the return shipping is paid by the buyer. After that, of course, full responsibility passes to the owner. Great opportunity to put some fabulous wood in your racks at prices that are well below market for dry wood of this quality.

#E07 is the first blank offered. Dimensions are 16 1/2 inches in length (a shorty) which is plenty long for a pump or automatic or any non-inletted single, 8 inches tall at the angle cut, 5 inches tall at the receiver and 2 3/4 inches thick. #E07 could be laid out with the white wood on top and the feather laying over the comb or the white wood at the bottom and the feather moving up into the blank. It is a shorty and therefore the price is short at $300.00.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#E06 is a monster both in size and in color, figure and layout. The true definition of a marbled blank, the dimensions are 20 inches long, 8 inches tall at the butt, 5 1/4 inches tall at the receiver and a full 2 3/4 inches thick. The fantastic Franquette mold lines are dense, distinct and swirling which will create awesome movement in the finished product. Even the tallest comb and the twistedest sister (yes, I invented a new word) will fit easily in this blank. Price on this one dry will be between $1200.00 and $1500.00 and I'm offering it green at $600.00.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always, ten percent of everything sold through Trapshooters.com is returned to TS to support the site. Reply to Whitecrkgunstock@aol.com. Please also check out the Myrtlewood auction in support of TS.com and the Tiger Myrtle blanks (very rare) currently being offered.

Thanks for looking, Mike Mann White Creek Gunstock Blanks LLC. Your Myrtlewood Source (and Maple and English and Black Walnut)

2. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Pat,

Depends on the prevailing weather conditions in your part of the country. Regular high humidity and wet conditions will prolong the process. Prolonged periods (summers) of low humidity and no precipitation will speed the process. By actual testing and metered measurement, English Walnut takes two full summers here in southern Oregon (no humidity and temps in the 90s and 100s for six months) before it reaches 12% or less moisture content by weight. Black Walnut typically takes three summers due to its higher water content when cut. In any case, we always recommend letting a blank acclimate to your climate before beginning the cutting process. Of course, if you're drying the blank locally, it's acclimating while drying.

Another factor is natural air movement around the blank while it's drying. I am blessed with a double open-ended barn in which my drying racks are placed. The blanks are oriented so that the natural movement of air coming through the box canyon flows through the blanks. The barn blocks the sunlight which is a no-no for fresh wood and allows the moisture to dissipate slowly.

Then you have the anathema of all purists - kiln drying - which is like a swear word to some and a "who cares" to others. I know that some folks buy green blanks and "cure" them by kilning and, quite frankly, it's none of my business once the wood leaves my possession.

Then you have the real purists who will buy a twenty year old air dried blank and insist on looking at it in the corner of the shop for ten years before they'll touch it. You know, different strokes.

I know that this response will probably elicit differing views from other folks and that's fine. Bottom line is that a properly end-sealed English walnut blank may take two years or more to reach 12% or less moisture in all but the most extreme climates (Las Vegas, etc.). Hope this gives you some idea.

Mike

3. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

ttt

4. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

0   0   0

$600.00 is an absolute steal for this blank!!!!!!!!

5. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

ttt

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Do you have any dry 4" thick English blanks suitable for crossover stocks? Thanks for replying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.