1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S Concrete Forms for Trap Houses

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by capnrico, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

The Indian Lake Fish & Game has finished replacing trap houses and are offering to sell the forms at a substantially reduced cost to another club. We would rather sell them cheap to another club to help keep the sport going.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

These forms in material alone cost about $900.00 not including labor. The forms are all screw fastened and took 3 men nine hours to build.

They are being offered for $350.00 but you would need to pick them up as we cannot ship them. They will fit on a trailer or pick-up truck in one load. We will have them organized on a pallet. We are located in West central Ohio at Russells Point, 43348.

As you can see from the photos they have plenty of room for a trap, more than enough room to service the trap and there is enough room for 72 boxes of targets. For us old farts that need to service & load traps they are great. While the photos show Outer’s traps, we constructed them with Pat Traps in mind.

The finished product will conform to ATA standards too.

The forms are clearly marked for assembly and three of us are available for guidance if required. We have CAD drawings on them to a point but anyone with any construction experience can easily construct them correctly. Photos of the units under construction will be included.

The roll-back roofs are simple and require some minor steel fabrication. All of the track can be purchased at your local lumber yard or Tractor Supply store. 2 Rollers need to be ordered from WW Grainger.

The slab and walls require about 5 ½ yards of concrete.

If you have any other questions you may email me at ericgrandi@earthlink.net or call me direct 937-539-4570.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hope that fence is further away than it looks!

3. chessney

chessney TS Member

Yea and those houses too..Ziggy

4. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

There has been trap shooting there since 1932 so we figure that they are plenty far back. And those are not houses, one is a lab and the others are outbuildings.

The Ohio State Trap shoot was held here in 1947.

Here, it sounds like you could use one of these.

5. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

capnrico - how far are those buildings from the trap? We have been in our location since the 1930s, and the closest house is a half mile away. The homeowners have been trying to get us shut down for years. No luck yet, but get the right legislators, and were gone.

6. chessney

chessney TS Member

Kids...Back in the house rite now!!!

7. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Unsingle,

The fence is over 200 yards away and the structures are more than twice that. If I would have changed the aperture on the camera it would be a more reliable picture of distance.

The facility in the background is actually the sewage treatment plant for our area. We voluntarily removed a trap-house that was closer to the fence before anyone complained and re-located it at the opposite end. We originally had 6 traps and have reduced it to 4.

There are 4 homes within a ¼ mile of us, two are members and one is a State Patrolman. No one has complained for over 2 years and that was because of a 90 protection shoot we held at night that ran into the wee hours. The Officer that came and told us of the complaint hung around for almost a ½ hour watching our shoot. He had fun watching.

3 Village officials are also active members. We have 117 members.

We are pretty “kid” oriented so we don’t receive much crap (pun intended). We’re hanging in there!

chessney, Towels are $6.00 + shipping.

capnrico

8. chessney

chessney TS Member

LOL..The remarks were made with good intensions! Just a bump for ya.I thought our resident trolls might chime in and keep your thread at the top..It's all good..Ziggy

9. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

chessney, Thanks. I'm just trying to boost towel sales.

You got your trolls; resident trolls; then you got your proper verbage book oriented non-common sense trolls.

I'm sure tron will be along with some more fish pics as this looms on.

Hell, we just like to shoot!

Now howz about a towel or two? X-mas is right around the corner.

10. chessney

chessney TS Member

Thanks cap for the offer.. but the way I shoot,I use a cryin blanket..Ziggy

11. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

where did you get the plans?

12. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

They are actually CAD drawings that I did on the base and walls.

We read the ATA rules on size and adapted the plan accordingly.

We built the forms with key-ways for the roll-back roof system and the front opening that the birds are thrown from.

We refer to the 1st house we built as the “A” model and made modifications to the forms and structure as we moved through the four we built. 4-inches was added to the height because of the base plated the machines are mounted to and the top key-ways were added to tuck the roof in tighter and make the sides more streamline. All structural changes were finalized on the “B” model. “C” & “D” models were electrical device locations and mounting plates for the machines. The electrical is all surface mounted PVC conduit.

We have been told that they are the nicest trap houses anyone has seen. As I said before, us “old guys” have to get in there to work on & load the traps so we designed them with ergonomics in mind. Two guys can jump in one and load 4 boxes of birds and be out in less than 5 minutes when we run programs.

One thing that we decided not to do that we wish we would have was to run compressed air out to each one for blowing off the machines but we figure we can always add it later.

The forms are now pulled and the walls are coated ready for backfill which I will take pictures and add to this post.

You can always stop by and check out the finished product too. The Club payed for the materials so nothing is half-ass at all!

You can not buy the lumber for what these are being offered for.

13. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Here is a pic with the last trap coated.

Here is the stack of forms you get.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Nice forms,

A lot of men do not recognize the craftmanship and man hrs. involved into constructing forms like this then pouring and stipping. Reminds me of a loading- dock replacement.

15. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

shannon391,

Thanks for the compliment! I'll pass it along to the other guys.

We've been real happy with the results.

Eric

16. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Any offers? They only have one purpose and no other. They'll be keeping us warm as soon as the trap roof is finished.

17. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Here is the final trap backfilled, painted, wired and ready for the roof.

18. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

19. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

Great work. Very well thought out and constructed. A movable roof is the only way to go. We don't have them. Ours constructed in the 70's and were the greatest then. All concrete including the roof. Too costly to change.

Augie

20. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Thanks!

Ours had concrete roofs too.

We thought about cutting them off and fitting the new roll back roof design but the houses were still to small for us to fit in and service the traps.

It's not really that much to change them out. It depends on how thick the roof is.

We used pole barn track for the track system, 2x6's, 2x4's and steel pole barn siding for the roof. I'm thinking the roofs were less than $300.00 each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

concrete trap house