1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S BUSHMASTER AR 556 CAL. VARMINT RIFLE REDUCED!!

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Setterman, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

With all due respect, my varmint rifle is a Rock River AR, and it will shoot with your bolt action. The new AR's aren't just a black gun anymore.

Can't say how accurate a Bushmaster is.

2. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

0   0   0

Top Single DT10...with all due respect, the barrel on this rifle is not one that I would consider to be "heavy" by any means. In addition, there are many "varmint" rifles other than bolt action single shot rifles.

OP, that is a fine rifle, fairly priced. I own the same, and it has worked over many a dog town (aka...varmint residence), as well as several coyote (Canis latrans varmintes)... ;) Best of luck with your sale.

Cliff
    Princeton, MN

3. skeetman77

skeetman77 Member

0   0   0

I love mine! Shoots 1/2 groups at 100 yards with quality ammo..... Paid $1150

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I owned one just like it with fluted barrel. The reason I bought it was that it shot as well, if not better than my bolt guns. The reason I sold it was that it was too heavy to carry when calling coyotes. I now own a DPMS Mod. A-15 with l6 in. bbl. and collapsable stock. Much lighter.

Steve

5. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

0   0   0

Varmint rifles can typically be distinguished from other light-caliber hunting or plinking rifles in the use of heavier barrels and (often) omission of open sights. Use of magnifying optics allows for more accurate fire (often on very small, distant moving targets). Barrels will generally be free-floated, and other accurizing techniques will be performed, either by the manufacturer or the owner. The stocks will generally have wider forends, designed for use on stable sandbag rests, and high combs for easy use with optics.
    Since part of the definition of a "varmint" is that it is a nuisance, varmints are not stalked, but rather they are hunted from a fixed position. This makes weight of little consideration in a varmint rifle, so heavy barrels are common. Varmints are also not subject to the same bag limits as game animals are, so far more shots may be fired. The heavier barrel is, in general, more accurate than a light barrel, plus the extra mass helps reduce the felt recoil and absorb the heat from more shots before expanding and potentially reducing accuracy. Folding shooting benches and sandbag rests help provide a stable base for the shooter, allowing the maximum accuracy to be extracted from the rifle.

I see no other use for an AR with a 24" barrel besides target shooting or varmit hunting. One of the most common varmit gun is a 10/22 or a mini 14 and those are both semi auto "varmit" guns?

6. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

0   0   0

I finally got my 24" hvy barrel dialed in with 75 grain Match Grade bullets. Sub-moa at 200 yards, I'm happy with it! Rick Gibbs
    k1200ltc509_2008_030382.jpg

k1200ltc509_2008_030383.jpg

7. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

0   0   0

Rick;

How come those targets have powder marks on them (just kidding)? Nice groups.

What kind of rifle do you have?

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.