1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S Black Walnut Stock Blank

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by kenf, Aug 8, 2013.

1. kenf

kenf Active Member

0   0   0

Making some room around the place and getting rid of stuff I don't have immediate plans for. This is a blank that I picked up from Old Tree when he was listing wood on this site. I've had this now for probably six years or so. Gordy dipped the blank in wax, so the pictures do not truly show how gorgeous this wood really is. There are a lot of colors and patterns in the wood and I'm sure it will finish beautifully. I'm not sure what the moisture content was, but I'd be pretty sure that it is ready to turn. I was told by Dennis Devault that the blank would be large enough to make one of his X style stocks. The width on this blank is 2 1/4". If you need to know anything else, just ask. I would rather not strip the wax off unless the someone is very serious. Asking $425 shipped.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kenf

kenf Active Member

0   0   0

btt

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

0   0   0

This is a blank I bought from Old Tree about that same time frame. Right now it is being made into a stock for my Ruger #1, just about ready to be checkered. It is turning out great - I'll see whether I can get a picture up later today.

From the picture, it seems that Ken's piece may be even better than mine. If I had the spare cash right now I'd get this blank in a heartbeat!

4. GR Eubanks

GR Eubanks Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Is it black walnut? If it was not dry when it was dipped in wax it is probably not dry now. Did he say why he dipped it in wax?

Thanks for your time.

Roger

5. kenf

kenf Active Member

0   0   0

Roger,

It was dry when it was dipped. I was told it was dipped to maintain the moisture content, as to not gain or lose moisture.

6. GR Eubanks

GR Eubanks Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Hi Ken I sent you a pm.

Roger

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

0   0   0

The picture above is the forend blank of my walnut from Old Tree. The buttstock blank is from my earlier post. Here is one side of the buttstock made from the blank, finished but not yet checkered:

[​IMG]

Here is the other side and forend:

[​IMG]

In my opinion, Ken's blank has even more figure and color than mine, and I think mine is turning out rather well. I think his is a great piece for a great price.

8. kenf

kenf Active Member

0   0   0

Wow, maybe I better keep this one. That is a beautiful stock Pocatello.