1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S BLACK MYRTLEWOOD BLANKS F/S

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Mr.M, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Found a small stash of a very rare aberration of Myrtlewood over the weekend and I purchased a few pieces for resale. Thought I'd show it to my friends at TS.com before I offer it elsewhere. A former major player in the Myrtlewood industry regaled me yesterday afternoon with stories about how Black Myrtle was historically viewed by folks in the know as rarer even than Tiger Striped Myrtle. Having bought, laid out, milled, dried and now planed over 700 Myrtlewood blanks, I think I'd have to agree. I have bought and sold two "Chocolate" Myrtle rifle blanks which were the darkest I'd ever seen. My client Train222 has shown you the finished product previously on this site when he had one of them put on a high-end airgun.

These two blanks whose pictures follow are much darker and denser than their "Chocolate" predecessors. The base color is much darker than most Walnuts and the very dense grain lines are simply - Black. Myrtle this dense will hold checkering as fine as the artist wants to cut. Both were cut in 2001. The shotgun blank is dry and ready to work. Both are very close to quarter sawn as is evidenced by the great symmetry side-to-side. I've taken two views of each side to try to represent the real color, figure and grain of each piece.

The rifle blank is a monster and will host even the largest caliber gun. With its massive size, it could be cut to make an exceptional shotgun set with dimensions that will encompass even today's heads-up designs. Pictures of the "Black Myrtle" rifle blank:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Measurements are 37 1/4 inches long, 8 1/8 inches tall at the butt, 3 inches tall at the muzzle and 2 3/8 inches thick. My camera isn't picking it up well but there is a fantastic full-coverage fiddleback that will really pop when a finish is applied. This one still shows 20% moisture on my Wagner meter and should be acclimated for a year in your environment before working. I'll sell this one for $495.00 with shipping to the lower 48 included.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Measurements on this one are 18 1/2 inches long, 7 inches tall at the butt, 3 1/8 inches tall at the receiver and 2 1/8 inches thick. The sunburst fiddleback is much more visible on this one especially on the left side where I have applied one coat of Tru-Oil. Price on this one with a closely matching forend and shipping included is $395.00.

First message at the email above gets dibs on either or both. Thanks for looking.

Mike Mann WHITE CREEK GUNSTOCK BLANKS LLC Your Myrtlewood Source

2. train222

train222 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Here are a few pictures of the finished Air Rifle that Mike was talking about.

You can see how the Grain and color really pop on the Chocolate Myrtle..

You can visit my web site (listed above) and check out the section intitled.."The Making of A Custom Stock"...

It takes you thru a picturial tour from the blank wood to the finished product...

Enjoy,

Stu Gabriel (MrGun)

PS: Mike Mann is A Great Guy to deal with!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

ttt

4. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

ttt

5. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Bulley,

No, no and no!!!!!!!! I'm not sending you ultra-rare Black Myrtle for unloaders!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am, however, preparing another 120 pounder of some pretty fantastic Myrtle and Bastogne Walnut for the unloader stable. Tell Judy to keep doing her heavy lifting exercises because this one will be way too heavy for you to lift.

Mike Mann

6. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

The Black Myrtle Rifle is sold pending receipt of funds. Thanks Bruce.

Gary, Just let Judy help with the big stuff, OK? Let me know when we need to schedule another swingin' night in Umatilla.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.