1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S Baker Double Barrel Very old Beautiful

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by new2ata, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new2ata

new2ata TS Member

Make a offer the only gun left that I am going to sell. Look at the wood VERY,VERY NICE. 12 GA Baker Batavia Special 28" barrels AAAA Wood

2. new2ata

new2ata TS Member

3. new2ata

new2ata TS Member

4. VERNIEBERNIE

VERNIEBERNIE TS Member

what are you interested in having for this gun

5. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

I would be interested in if the bbl's are steel or damascus twist, if bbl's touch (not cut), condition of bores and if the ser. # starts with an "F" as well as price.

6. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

7. new2ata

new2ata TS Member

Ken Barrels have a solid rib in between steel barrels barrels are original serial number is just just six numbers 162*** Thanks

8. Chip

Chip TS Member

This appears to be a very nice restock of an old double. The Baker Batavia Special was the lowest grade gun Baker produced. Lack of an F in the serno indicates manuf before 1919 as ownership changed to a company named Folsom and Folsom guns had f's in the serno. Mr. Baker had an interesting history as he contributed to starting up L.C. Smith and Ithaca Gun before coming out with a shotgun with his own name on it. The wood on this is probably worth more than the rest of the gun. Batavia Specials go for between $200 and $400 when you see them. Although I think they are nice old doubles there is virtually no collector interest in them.

9. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

The lack of an "F" in the ser # indicates damascus or twist bbl's unfortunately. At least I have never seen a Baker Gun and Forging gun of this grade with steel bbls. I could stand corrected. Ken

10. Chip

Chip TS Member

Ken Hurst information on the barrels being being damsacus is incorrect provided this gun is a "Batavia Special" vs. "Batavia Leader". The Batavia Special was never made with Damascus barrels, the leader barrels should be stamped on top near the chambers in very small letters "Homotensile steel", the other barrel will be stamped "choke bored". When this gun came out fluid steep barrels were a "new fangled contraption" and damascus was preferred for it's good looks. Baker named them homotensile steel to indicate they were homogeneous (one piece) tensile(strong). Unless the chambers have been opened with a reamer they are likely shorter than 2 3/4", probably 2 1/2 or 2 5/8"
    I believ ethe barrels of batavia specials made between 1900-1919 were made by Crescent Arms. When Folsom acquired Baker Gun the barrels were made Belgium however it is this piece of Baker Gun history I could have backwards, I need to check my reference material to be sure. F in the serial number indicats a 1920 and later Baker, I think they stayed in production until 1938. Although no real collector interest in Baker Guns exists the guns made before the Folsom acquisition seem to be preferred. Personally I tend to think of them as the poor mans L.C. Smith.

11. new2ata

new2ata TS Member

thanks for the great info. This is definately solid steel barrels. I was told manufactured between 1900 and 1919. So that matches what Chip says. I dont know anything about the gun other than it shoots great and wood in unbelievable. Thanks for the great info on this very old double. Can you tell me if the barrels were manufactured at 28 inches?

12. Chip

Chip TS Member

Info on Bakers is scarce. With passing years and no collector interest details faded into history. There is one Baker advertising brochure from 1909 "The Baker Gunner" that could provide info on barrel lengths. It was reprinted and can be found. I confirmed pre 1919 Batavia Specials (no F in Serno) had barrels made in Belgium. It was the Folsom made Bakers that had the Crescent Arms Barrels. I believe 28 inch barrels would have been available but there is a chance someone cut yours back from 30 or 32". If there is choke constriction in the last two inches of either barrel it has probably not been cut. Chambers would have definitely been 2 5/8" Remember the early nitro powders "white" did not create the higher pressures of todays duplex powders. The standard load for 12 gauge at the turn of the 20th century was 1 ounce and 1 1/8 ounce. You would be wise to handload for this old piece of americana and use low pressure, standard volicity loads at those shot weights. Sidelock double barrel stocks are inherently prone to cracking near the receirver. Gentle loads are in order. Also if you take it hunting and shoot at reasonble ranges, say 30 to 35 yards you'll find the game comes down just the same even without high velocity 1 1/4 loads.

13. Chip

Chip TS Member

The following additional information on Baker Guns was taken from the discussion board of the L.C. Smith Collectors Assn:

Baker/Batavia -- Baker references are --
    The Double Gun Journal -- Vol 3, Iss 3&4; Vol 9, Iss 2; and Vol 14, Iss 4
    American Rifleman -- June 1968
    Shooting Times -- May 1962
    The Gun Report -- Nov 1989 and Jan 1991
    Field & Stream -- April 1908
    Guns Illustrated - 29th Edition, 1997

The Batavia guns were the low priced or "field grade" models of the Baker Gun & Forging Co. To reduce costs the Batavia line did not have the "firing pin block safety" or the "draw block" which passes transversely through the barrel lug and mates into recesses in the frame, of the graded Baker hammerless guns and the Model 1897 hammer gun. After WW-I with the rise of repeaters Baker sold their gun business to H&D Folsom Co. a major marketer, manufacturer and importer of low priced guns. Folsom added the 20-gauge to the Baker line that they produced. Folsom-made Baker guns normally have an F before or after the serial number. In the very last Baker ads that I've found in old sporting magazines from April and May 1928, and October 1929, Folsom also offered a 410-bore Batavia Leader, though I've never seen one.

During the Baker Gun & Forging Co. days there were several variations of the lower priced "Batavia" line. From a 1909 copy of The Baker Gunner -- The Batavia Leader had twist barrels and listed at $25 -- The Batavia Special had steel barrels and listed at $21.75 -- The Batavia Damascus had Damascus barrels and listed at $28 -- and, finally the Batavia Brush had 26-inch twist barrels and a straight-grip stock listing at $24 and offered swivels and a sling as an option for $3. There was also a Batavia Ejector that listed at $35 with steel barrels and $37.50 with Damascus barrels. By the H & D Folsom days they were all consolidated as the Batavia Leader with steel barrels.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

chip- At one time I did have a great interest in collecting Baker guns. I restricted my collection to the higher grade single barrel trap guns. They are nicely made guns and are rather rare. I did manage to get 11 of them, including one Superba grade. I donated some of my collection to the ATA Hall of Fame and sold the rest to another collector who was much more serious than I was.

Pat Ireland

15. Chip

Chip TS Member

Pat - Your collection of Baker trap guns sounds interesting. The donation you made was a nice thing to do. Many shooters are not aware Baker Gun was one of the "Big Six" of classic American Doubles. I have found them to be nice handling shooters. Without serious collector interest they can be had for a song in comparison to Parker, Fox, Smith's etc. I believe Bakers provide a man of average means to own and collect some very nice classic American Doubles at very reasonable prices. Unfortunately I think cowboy action shooting is going to cause a lot of otherwise nice Bakers to get chopped. I bought a very high condition Batavia Special earlier this year for the price of a used 870. The clerk at the store put a tape measure to the barrels to get an idea of what it would look like with 18.5 barrels. They were factory original 30". I asked why he would do consider doing that, he said it would be a good cowboy gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

baker 1897 hammer 12

baker a grade shotgun with steel barrels

baker batavia 20 gauge 26 inch barrels

baker double barrel shotgun