1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S a better SHOT DRIPPER, 2X the production

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim101, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Curt what material do you use to make the drippers??

Jim

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

You can fess up curt. I've made a few myself and the only material I've found satisfactory, Meaning machineable, Is hot rolled and free machining steel. Stainless and the tougher alloys eats the small drills.

Jim

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Jim,

Beleive it or not, people have been putting small holes in hard stuff for a long time.

5. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Drippers start out as 3/8-16 Hex Head bolts -- 13/64's hole is drilled down from the threaded end until the drill almost breaks through the head of the bolt -- then a cross hole is drill through the head (on the flat) of the bolts until it breaks through to the 13/64 hole -- size of that hole depends on the the size of the shot you want to make -- around .018 for number 9 shot -- not rocket science -- the small hole is the touchy one

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Blizzard that is true, But they have access to better tooling than the average home shop guys. I have a small atlas verticle mill with a special chuck for micro drills and I still manage to break a few drill bits. I have found the 1/2 inch hex stock in leadloy or free machining steel the easiest to work with.

Jim

7. virg

virg Member

Jim, what would you charge me to drill just the small hole in the dripper for #8 shot, I bought a shotmaker with lots of extras, only the guy broke his bit with about 15-20 drippers to go, would like to have them drilled for extra's and could they be drilled as double drippers? Virg

8. JWS

JWS Member

Curt,
    I'm glad you ordered a set of drippers from me so you could go into business for yourself. Do you have to charge so much? Are you trying to get rich off of one set? At least yours might be better than the Littleton drippers. Littleton never has learned how to make drippers. I think you still have alot to learn.
    James Stewart
    The Better Shotmaker

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Virg, I don't even make my own any more, It's a real PITA to drill them.

Jim

10. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

11. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Best steel for machining and drilling is in the 1200 series, like a 1212L or 1214L which are low-carbon and leaded. Alloys like maganese, nickel, crome, etc. and carbon content are the items that make maching more difficult...Mike

12. trap41

trap41 TS Member

why does the steel have to be so hard?

Molten lead will be flowing through the hole.... why does it have to be hardened steel?

wouldn't regular hot rolled steel work?

13. trap41

trap41 TS Member

14. JWS

JWS Member

Mike,
    You have it absolutely right on what kind of steel bolt it takes to make the best drippers. The problem of it is- finding the right manufacturer. I have to import my bolts as I can't find a manufacturer in the United States who makes them to my specification.
    James Stewart
    The Better Shotmaker

15. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Curt:
    Why don't you order a Better Shotmaker from Mr. Stewart so that you can learn how to make shotmakers then you can put your drippers into your machine and revolutionize the shotmaking industry with your better product.

16. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Give him hell Ellen! You go girl!

JK

17. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Shotmaker

Send a print to me, I'm PRETTY sure we can manufacture any bolt you need, as good if not BETTER than anything you can IMPORT!!!

Tony

KenEnt Screw Machine Products.

18. aleadcaster

aleadcaster TS Member

Hello....my first post here as I am new to the forum.Spent a few hours reading posts over a number of days, and couldn't resist joining up as you clearly are an interesting bunch of people!

Mr`Stewart, I was wondering if you could point out what is the subtle difference between your drippers and the littleton's.
    On the surface,(and admittedly I have not seen one of yours), one would imagine them to be the same.

Thanks

19. JWS

JWS Member

Aleadscaster:
    The difference between my drippers and Brand X is that every dripper I make is made by me, checked by me, air gaged by me, and is engineered by me for my Better Shotmaker machines. In my machines they will make the correct size shot. I can't guarantee that my drippers will work correctly in Brand X but the do fit Brand X's dripper hole. The reason they may not work correctly is the difference in the heat range since Brand X usually runs much colder. Anyone that is making their own machine will have the same heat problems until they work the answer out themselves.The engineering and experience that goes into my drippers has been developed over 45 years of making my own machines and my own shot. The most expensive is not always the best since my drippers sell for $30.00 a set of 7 for Single Drippers and my Double Drippers sell for $50.00 a set of 7. All the other drippers out there are copies of mine since I'm really the one that developed the first shotmaking machine way back when.
    If you would like to chat more call me at 256-587-0107.
    Thanks For Asking,
    James Stewart

20. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Anything further to report Tony @ken ent screw machine products? You also have an e-mail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dripper bolts