1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S a better shot dripper, 2 x the production

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ricks1, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the doubles are ok but you have to have another melting pot to keep the metal hot because it will run too fast before the unit can heat the added lead rick

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

doggai- You made a very good point. I did buy a set of 7 double drippers years ago but only put in 3 of them. This worked for me.

Pat Ireland

3. duke76

duke76 Member

Curt would you be interested in selling like 3 or 4 , like Pat said that way we could try them out and not have to worry about not having enough heat but still have increased production

4. ROB B

ROB B TS Member

Ok guys what cind of shotmaking machine do you all use and why?? If to do it all over again what would you use.
    ROB

5. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Rob b, I would get James Stewarts Black Max, 220V 1500watts, double drippers. I can use 8 1/2 drippers on his other shot maker running doubles in the middle and singles on the ends, but if using 8's or 7 1/2 drippers James said 3 double drippers would be max. The Black max will keep you on your toes, it puts out the shot, James and I discussed the double bowl black max, and James said he has sold very few. I would have a hard time keeping the machine going at 160lbs-180lbs a hour, but some must do it, or they are setup for two different sizes of shot and run one bowl at a time. 10tenner

6. ROB B

ROB B TS Member

Ok guys what cind of shotmaking machine do you all use and why?? If to do it all over again what would you use.
    ROB

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

If I had to do it again, I would like to have at least 2 ladles side by side running double drippers. Use a continous run system like I have now. I would have an electric heated melting pot holding about 200 lbs of alloy, With adjustable flow feeding hot lead directly into the ladles.

Actually I'm building a melting pot right now. It will hold about 120 lbs. Guess I'll have to post some pics when I get it running.

Jim

8. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Jim101

How far are you from Omaha? How far are you from Wenig's ? Maybe we could just put your shop on the the Missouri tour? Jim's, Wenig's, Graff's, and Lynn Gipson's. How are we leaving out? LOL Omaha

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I'm about 35 miles from Wenig's shop.

Jim

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

JF- I sold all of my shot making set up and about 45 five gallon buckets of wheel weights several years ago. I enjoyed making shot. My wife did not enjoy my shot making fun. I am self employed. When I made shot, I was not working. Considering lost wages, I estimated that it cost me about $90 to make a bag of shot in 1993. I still miss the fun.

Pat Ireland

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

jim has right idea question asked "what type shot maker" i have a Stewart i had a Littleton the Littleton had a aluminum ladle temp flucks was a problem the Stewart is cast iron i did some changes but works good tried the doubles in 3 center worked ok but had to keep moving shot and will heat oil faster [ i dont use a cooling system] does keep you busy if you are going to run the doubles would suggest a single hot plate and 20lb cast iron pot to keep it supplied rick

12. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I dont know bout the double drippers... Seems the machine can BARELY keep up with singles. I am actually going to plug the outside drippers just so it can keep up. The idea of a continuous lead stream is IMO the only way it can be done correctly.

13. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Can an old electric stove (not in your kitchen) be used to warm up the ingots? I have numerous chances to buy working electric stoves for $25 to $50 which could be dedicated to just melting the clips off the wheel weights or warming the ingots before dropping them on the ladle. I realize that the 240v panel in the garage would have to handle the shot maker and the stove or pick up a gas (nat or prop) stove to place in garage. Which would work better, gas or electric (not counting installation)? A ducted hood with a big fan would sure help draw the fumes out. IMHO. Omaha

14. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

15. JWS

JWS Member

HIMARK:
    What brand of machine do you have that you can't keep the outside drippers running? What voltage are you using? What size shot are you trying to make?
    What kind of lead are you feeding your machine? Are you running your machine indoors or outdoors or near a draft or do you have a fan blowing over your machine?

16. Jim R

17. Jim R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.