1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S 700X powder

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Didreckson, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

0   0   0

I have 700X powder for sale. Prefer delivery in Central/Northern CA, or Reno area. Change in my components is prompting the change, as I need a bulkier powder for my 1 oz. loads.

There are 2 ea. 8# containers, and 4 ea. 4# containers. All brand new from Grafs in the last two weeks. Change in wad forcing the change, as I really like 700X but it just won't fill the hull enough with the new XL1 wad.

$115.00 per 8#. Grafs did not have enough 8#ers to fill the entire order, so they sent 4# at the same price per lb. This price includes freight, haz mat and sales tax.

2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

0   0   0

3. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

0   0   0

I sent you a PM.

4. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

0   0   0

Thats funny, I had the exact same problem with 700X and the XL1 in STS and Nitro 27 hulls. I switched to red dot powder thinking it would fix it. It helped a bit, but didn't solve the problem, even with 18.5 gr of red dot. Turns out that my shot bushing was throw just under an ounce, around 0.95. I honed it out until I got to just over an ounce, about 1.02 ounces, and my crimps are now perfect.

Have you measured your shot drop weight?

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

0   0   0

I will double check it, but last time I checked it was only 5 grains light on 1 oz loads with West Coast 8's. I have an abundance of 1 oz bushings in 8, so I can polish one out until I get a full drop without going over.

Thanks. Love 700X, but don't like caved in centers. They shoot great, but just don't look right.

6. FLIP

FLIP Member

0   0   0

use a diffrent wad,try the rem TGT can be used for 1oz or 1 1/8 hope this helps

7. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

0   0   0

If I can't fix the caved in crimp, I will change wads. It was not an issue with the CB 1 oz pink, but I really like using the XL-1, and have 15,000 to go through before I jump ship. I have to believe with some minor changes and adjustments I can get it ironed out...no pun intended.

8. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

0   0   0

You could always increase the amount of shot until the crimps work out. Test some out one at a time by weighing out each shot charge till the crimps look good. I actually loaded up a bunch of shells with no powder (not on purpose of course...) using STS hulls, XL1 wads and just over an ounce of shot as I mentioned above. Those crimps were still good and did not leak.

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

0   0   0

After last week's thread, try sticking a used primer in the shot cup. Or a few cheerios. ;-)

10. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

0   0   0

I'm having the same problem with the 700x I have and the 1-ounce Federal 12SO replacement wads. A friend suggested I ream out a bushing to drop 1-1/6 ounces of shot to get rid of the concave crimp. As soon as I get my hands on a spare bushing I'll give it a try. J

11. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

0   0   0

My major concern with adding "substance" to the load, be it spent primer or popcorn is not knowing 100% that I would not be building too much pressure. Probably not since 17 grains with 1 oz is pretty conservative.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try to dial this in when I get back up to my reloading room.

12. trucker1

trucker1 TS Member

0   0   0

i have the same problem with 1oz/700x
    put in 1 1/16 bussing ended problem

13. drh08

drh08 TS Member

0   0   0

I shoot 1 oz with xl1 without issue in STS.

16.5 grains 700X

However I have no wad pressure at all in the setup, I am just putting the wad on the powder is all. Crimps look good, no dishing no problems.

14. ink ball

ink ball Member

0   0   0

I use the same loading as drh08, with the same results. No problems whatseover.

15. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

0   0   0

Looks like a mixed bag, and probably different loaders. I use a brand new Spolar and I have the wad seating station all the way up. I don't believe there is any pressure, but that particular station does not have a meter like Mec has.

Carter Spolar said this was a common problem with the XL-1 green. Love the wad, and 700X. It is not a huge dish, but certainly not the way I like them.

I am sure with tweaking I can get it dialed in, and a bit more powder or 18 grains of bulkier Clays or Clay Dot will get it done.

Reloads with CB wads were perfect, but I wanted to change to DR wads. Simple change in components can make things exciting.

16. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

0   0   0

I had the sunken crimp problem using 700X and 1oz loads, wwa12sl wads. I used a 20 ga fiber buffer for a perfect crimp until I sent my MEC 9000 G back to MEC for cleaning. I told them the load I wanted without the buffer and when I got it back it puts out perfect crimps...Gold metal hulls, 18.5 gr 700X, 12SL wads and 1oz shot. It really is in the damn adjustments, I guess.

JON

17. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I shoot a similar load, & learned (by trial) & small adjustments that you don't need much wad pressure just barely enough to be certain that the wad is contacting the powder if any more is needed it will be supplied by the crimp..

Ross

18. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

0   0   0

I am sure the adjustments make a difference. 18.5 grains of 700X alone might do it, as I only load 17 +/- .1 grains. As I said, with CB wads, perfect crimp. It is the newer DR XL-1's (neon green, and now dark green) that are causing the issue. Carter Spolar confirmed the wad is just enough off to be an issue. I have virtually no wad pressure at all.

I emailed Downrange, and have not heard anything back from Kevin. Since they make the Spolar gold wads, I suspect he has heard this before.

I am confident with a bit more powder, and tweaking in a full 1 oz. of shot that the crimp will be OK. I have the wad station all the way up, and the shells shoot great. It is just a small cosmetic thing, but I am anal retentive...just can't help it, so the crimps need to be perfect. I checked the ID of the 1 oz shot bushing, and will put my 18 grain powder bushing in and give it a go next time I reload.

Thanks for the feedback. It was comforting to know a few others had the same issue at various times.

19. daveship

daveship Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

i will buy whatever you have left to sell....contact me to make payment arrangements ...561-414-7775....david

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I make pretty decent looking 1 Oz loads with 700x using the DRXXL (pink) wads from down range in STS or gun club hulls. This wad is normally a 7/8 Oz wad with low density powders like CLAYS or Promo. Might want to give that a try before giving up on 700x.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

crimp problems with 700x powder