1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S 33 YEAR OLD KOA 2 PIECE SET K-1 SOLD!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Mr.M, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

How's that for a thread title??? Short version of a long story - thing 1 led to thing 2 which led to thing 3 that had me in a residential garage in Talent, Oregon Friday night looking at a small slab of KOA that was originally brought from the Islands in 1978. Advertised as big enough for two rifle blanks, the truth was that I might be able to wrest two 2-piece sets from the slab if things worked out just right. I thoroughly wet the rough cut slab and thought I could discern some figure and a little stripe through the saw marks. What I was leery of was the presence of wild, twisting figure which would have negated the piece as a source of gunstock material.

Plane, plane, layout, layout, saw, saw then back to the finish planer and here's what we wound up with:

Bothsetsdry.jpg

Bothsetsdry2.jpg

Two complete sets of 33 year old air dried Koa with awesome straight grain, beautiful colors, stripe in one and a tight bees-wing fiddleback behind it all. These two pictures were taken with the sets dry and illuminated by sunlight only. This wood is incredibly dense and will finish with a "shimmer" much like Myrtlewood as well as taking very fine checkering. Despite the densness, the weight of the blanks is comparable to a like-sized blank of good English Walnut. Individual pictures follow:

K1drysun.jpg

K-1 dry with its forend blank. Measurements are 20+ inches long, 7.5 inches tall at the butt, 4.5 inches tall at the receiver and a full 2 3/4 inches thick. This one will take all design features that anybody can dream up. Twisted sister, heads-up, roll-over, hands down, big grip, big butt - it will all fit. Following pics show the blank with alcohol applied to illustrate the colors, stripe and solid bees wing fiddle as they will appear when the stock is finished.

K1Left1.jpg

K-1 left with alcohol. Pictures are not enhanced in any fashion. Great colors, solid through and through bees wing and almost perfect straight grain through the entire blank.

K1Leftbig.jpg

Closeup of K-1 left.

K1Right2.jpg

K-1 right showing the stripe and completeness of coverage of the fiddleback figure.

K2drysun.jpg

K-2 dry with illumination by the sun. This is the better side of K-2 and the price will reflect that.

K2Left.jpg

K-2 left side with alcohol applied to show colors and figure. Measurements are 18.5 inches long, 7 3/4 inches tall at the butt, 3.5 inches tall at the receiver and a full 2 3/4 inches thick. A little shorter than normal, but should still host any combination of 2011 tournament features. Because of the angle cut on the forend blank, this set would be a great choice for restocking a gun with a schnable or splinter forend.

K2Leftbig.jpg

K-2 left closeup showing the almost complete fiddleback which fades toward the bottom of the blank. Truth in advertising.

K2Right.jpg

K-2 right side. The fiddleback covers the top two thirds of the blank and fades toward the bottom. K-2 is closer to flat-sawn and has excellent straight grain flow throughout.

I know that TSers hate the word "Rare", but I think it applies to these two sets. My experience is that it is becoming rarer every day to find Hawaiian KOA in sizes that will host a shotgun or rifle blank. Today you have two to choose from. K-1 set is priced at $595.00 (reduced to $525.00 AND IS SOLD) including shipping to the lower 48. K-2 set is priced at $395.00 (reduced to $295.00 AND IS SOLD) including shipping. Even if you have no immediate application, these should be snapped up and put in your safe deposit box with your other investments. First confirmation of interest at the email address above gets first dibs. If you have to have them both, we can talk.

As always, thanks for looking. Aren't you glad this was a "short" story??

Mike Mann White Creek Gunstock Blanks LLC

2. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

ttt

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Mike.....great looking wood!....I own 3 rifles stocked in Curly Koa and love the color and the way the wood refracts light. Always wanted to do a trap gun in Koa...somebody will have something unique with this wood...

Ron Burr

Alberta

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

0   0   0

One of my bass guitars is made completely out of Koa. This wood will be beautiful when finished properly.

5. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Lotsa sniffing, a little deep inhaling, but no confirmations so far. Tuesday at 1PM Pacific, I'm gonna press the issue and reduce the price on K-1 to $525.00 and K-2 to $295.00. I suspect that this will make the decision for a few deep inhalers and will hold these prices until Thursday, August 18 at midnight. At that time, I'll delete the thread and put the blanks up on the website at original retail.

I've got an IAB that would look so good dressed in K-1. Please don't let me face that temptation!!

As soon as these two are gone, I've got a surprise auction going up for the benefit of TS.com. You'll like it!

Thanks for looking, Mike Mann

6. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

up for Mr. Mann

7. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

0   0   0

Mike, I will take K-2 and do you have any more "Utility" pieces that I can screw up, oops, I mean practice on? Dave

8. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Dave,

K-2 is yours and there will be a surprise or two in the box. I take it the duplicator is offering some "opportunities" you had not anticipated. Anything I can do to shorten the learning curve, I will. A lot of TS'ers are asking about duplication services.

Contact me at the email above or call and let me know how many "practice" sets you need.

Thanks, Mike Mann

9. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

0   0   0

I'll take K1 if still available....email sent...

Mr. Mark

10. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Both are sold. Thank you to both buyers. You probably saved more than a couple marriages by taking these two off the plate. All you deep inhalers can exhale now and I can get on with the special listing of another offering for Trapshooters.com.

Mike Mann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

curly koa gunstock blanks