1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S 1894 RIFLE-SOLD PENDING FUNDS

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by flush-em, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flush-em

flush-em Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

My father-law wants to sell his 1894 30 WCF rifle. It's in 60-70% condition, and the action is tight. Has octagon bbl(26 in)and has a few areas of light rust spots for a gun of this age as there is no bluing left on the gun.

The stock seems at some point to have been messed with as the screws have been turned?

Gun was his fathers and recieved it in 1958. Serial number is #130138.

He claims the only thing he's done to it(since 1958) is shoot deer with it here in the U.P. of michigan (he is a 80 yr old born Yooper!-finnish at dat)and claims it's extremly accurate!

According george madis's-winchester book of manufacture, it was made between 1898-1899

2. flush-em

flush-em Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

more pics

3. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I'd love to own it. Probaly too $ for me right now.

4. flush-em

flush-em Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

0   0   0

I thought the percentage (%) was the amount of bluing left?

Nick

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Which would you rather have, $1500 or a nickle for every campfire that gun shared with its owner?

7. flush-em

flush-em Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Thank you remstar311-I meant overall condition, there is no bluing left, the barrel says "nickle steel", so I don't know if the rest of the gun is nickle?

Wolfram- yes, I just love to hear all the stories jim tells from his ownership since 1958, Would love to hear his dads stories!

Thanks larry for the message and Info.-wouldm love to hear from the rest of you!

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

0   1   0

Its going to be over $1000.00 That is when guns were made right. Nice gun.

9. flush-em

flush-em Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Yes, sure is a solid gun, very tight!

10. jaeger18

jaeger18 Member

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0

Bore condition means quite a bit on older guns that may have had blackpowder ammo run through it. With a good bore its shgould fetch a bit over a thousand.

11. flush-em

flush-em Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Thank you to everyone for the input and e-mails your info was much appreiciated.

St. James as we call him says sell it!--$ 1400.00 O.B.O

thank you steve

12. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

According to the Blue Book your 1894 was made in 1897 and below is taken from same.

Model 1894 Rifle 1894-1898 Mfg. Add to Collection
    - antique mfg., pre-148,000 ser. no.
    Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60% 50% 40% 30% 20% 10%
    N/A $6,400 $5,400 $4,650 $3,725 $3,125 $2,150 $1,650 $1,275 $1,100 $900 $750
    Add 20% for takedown variation.
    Add approx. 25% for cals. other than .30-30 Win. or .32 Spl.

Percentage of a gun is predicated on the amount of finish remaining on the metal. Unless this gun has something unusual about it your value is below $750.00
    Mike Battista

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but judging from the pictures, between $300 & $400 tops. It is by no means a rare (they made just over a gazillion of these) or unusual piece and the condition is everything. Just because a gun is old doesn't make it valuable.

JMHO!!

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    S/N 130138 dates to 1898.

Nickel Steel refers to the barrel material. The 1894 initially used ordinary steel barrels with blackpowder cartridge (32-40 and 38-55), but when the 25-35 and 30-30 (30 WCF) were introduced in 1895, Winchester switched to a higher quality steel to prevent throat erosion from the hotter combustion temps.

Standard receiver finish was blued. On special order, other finishes could be provided, with most of these being in the early years. Color casing was one option, and it wore off easily. You can check your receiver. If it has ANY trace amount of blueing on it, especially on the inside, it was not color cased. Usually the lever would be color cased as well, but not always. Likely the receiver is simply worn.

Blackpowder is not a concern, as the 30-30 was never loaded with blackpowder. What is a concern is bore wear from corrosive primers and primers with powdered glass.

Standard barrel length at that time for rifles was 26". Anything else is special order. The octagon barrels were higher cost special order, with round being standard. However, octagon barrels were so popular they outsold round barrels, so there really is no extra value in them. In fact, early round barrels usually have a slight premium.

The crescent buttplate is standard. Anything else on a rifle is special order for this time period.

The full length magazine tube is standard on rifles. The exception is the lightweight rifle, but this clearly is not that version.

Straight grips are standard. Curved grips are special order.

The sights on this rifle appear to be standard.

The wood looks like it has been refinished. What is critical is whether the wood has been excessively sanded down. The would should be "proud". This is a term that means the wood stands slightly above the metal surfaces. If it is flush, or worse, lower than the metal, value is reduced.

Vast numbers of rifles in this configuration were made. The gun really has no serious collector value because of the amount of finish wear on it. If the bore is in good shape it would be a good shooter. As for value, the Blue Book is high for many areas. Out west we have lots of these, so that's a $450 to maybe $650 gun, with bore wear being critical. It may fetch more in regions where these are less common. In some areas it may fetch less.

My advice is to swap your FiL something for it and keep it as a family keepsake. Hand it down when the time comes. You cannot replace that. My granddfather's guns were all sold off, and no one asked me about them. I would have bought them and handed them down to my kids. That's the real value of family firearms.

15. flush-em

flush-em Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Thank you Mike,Tron and brian from oregon for your input,But where were you when I was asking input for a value? I have a friend from wi. whom deals in oct. bbl 22's, and he says $800-$1000?. I have gotten 13 private messages. Out of all of them only two of them state around 400-600 range? then rest are in the 800-1500 range?

thank you brian for the info. on black powder and evrything else.

Bottom line Jim just wants to sell his gun--Talked to him he says lower the price to 900.00.

I start college again in a week and I am just doing a favor for my father-in-law, all I want is to find him a fair price.-steve

16. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

0   0   0

Saying ( what the value is ) and doing ( a check is in the mail for $800.. $1500 )is a big diffrence. I watch Antiques Roadshow at times and there is a diffrence of what something is valued at and getting somebody too pony up.
    Good luck to all.

17. blazer1

blazer1 TS Member

0   0   0

Flush-em, don't listen to them, I own a very large collection of older rifles, like yours and they are worth every penny to the right collector/person. I would not let it go for less than 1K and maybe 1.5K even in its condition. Remember as days, months and years go by its value increases and it will never go down.

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

300-600 The higher number if you find the right person. Go out west and you will find a ton of these in gun shops in this condition

I dont care what the people like Auctioneer and the others tell you- sell it to them and find out the color of there money and then come back and report

Regards from Iowa

Gene

19. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

"$300 to $600"? Gene, Gene, Gene. And you want only $7500 for your mis-matched $5,500 standard grade 32 4-barrel set!!!!? Wow. "Mine's worth this, but yours is only worth that......"
    Flush-em, your daddy's 1894 rifle is not 60-70%, but it is worth around $1,000 +/-. Good luck with your sale.
    Mike Durhan

20. flush-em

flush-em Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Thanks rebel, And yes, I would of felt left out if Gene didn't put his 2 cents in. And yes rebel you have gene all fiqured out, I just considered it another case of a 10 cent mouth overiding a 5 cent ass. But I will still pray for him tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.