1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S 10 YRS DRY BASTOGNE WALNUT MONSTER SOLD

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Mr.M, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Here's one I've never listed before. I did a trade deal a couple weeks ago that yielded a fantastic 10 year old slab of Bastogne Walnut that has given us a limited number of full rifle monsters which will also cover just about any shotgun application including the wierd stuff we trapshooters do (heads-up, twisted sister, offset, insane brother, etc., etc.) For those of you who have to have the traditional wood and want the stripe, figure, color and complete coverage fiddleback of Black (Claro) Walnut combined by nature with the density and workability of the finest English Walnut, your ship has just arrived!

I've applied one hand-rubbed coat of Tru-Oil to the right side of this blank to show the colors in this piece and pictured the left side completely dry to clearly show the full coverage fiddleback with a little help from the sun and darkening the image slightly before saving it. The fiddle shows on all four sides which is a characteristic of high-end Bastogne. The run-out of the grain is as close to perfectly straight as I've seen. This monster measures 38 3/4 inches long, 9 inches tall at the butt (yes, Dennis, 9 inches), 3 3/4 inches tall at the muzzle and a full 2 1/2 inches thick. For a typical shotgun application, this blank will supply a buttstock and three forends. It would be perfect for a multiple barrel set where you wanted the stock and all forends to come from the same blank. As you can see in the pictures, there are a number of burls in the meat of the stock area which will add a unique character to the finished product. 'Nuff sellin'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three views of right side at different angles to the sun to try to show the complete coverage fiddleback and the colors in this Bastogne.

[​IMG]

Right side close-up. Sorry for the fuzzy focus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three images of the left side from three different angles with pictures taken dry. It seems the fiddleback shows better with this camera this way.

[​IMG]

Left side close-up taken dry. I think I'm gonna start calling this quality of Bastogne Walnut "Zebra Stripe".

I'll only sell these Bastogne blanks to folks who swear to send pictures of the finished product for my upcoming gallery. Remember folks, this blank is ten years dry, straight as a good arrow, beautifully colored and fantastically fiddlebacked. Price on this one is $695.00 and I'll do the shipping to the lower 48. BLANK HAS BEEN SOLD. If you want a second from the same tree, same slab, let me know and we'll work something out. Please contact me with any questions at the email above or by PM.

Regards and thanks for looking,

Mike Mann White Creek Gunstock Blanks LLC Your Myrtlewood (and Maple, English Walnut, Black Walnut and Bastogne Walnut) Source

2. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

ttt

3. SCL

SCL Member

0   0   0

That is some freakin awesome wood!!! Wish I could work it and wish I owed something worthy of placing it on.

4. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Thanks for the comment and all the interest. I believe #1 is sold and I'll so indicate as soon as I have a firm commitment.

Mike Mann

5. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I haven't received any confirmation on what I thought was an offer through an earlier PM, so it looks like Bastogne #1 is still on the market. Please let me know at the email above if you have interest.

Mike

6. black_wal_nut

black_wal_nut TS Member

0   0   0

um, i'll trade ya for some claro :)

steven

7. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Steven,

My 100 tons of Royal Walnut trumps your 30 tons of Claro Walnut. Back in your cage!

Regards, Mike

8. brownk80

brownk80 Member

0   0   0

Hey Mike,

How much for the stump? :)

Hope to see you when you are down at Martinez next time.

Best wishes,

Mike Brown

9. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Mike,

We can talk. Already had two very serious inquiries about buying an entire Royal Walnut stump/burl and doing their own milling. Price at that level is $1.25 per pound and you pay the shipping. UPS, unfortunately, won't ship them. Stumps in inventory are between 2000 and 7000 pounds each and are yielding absolutely magnificent blanks from the cross between Eastern Black Walnut and California Claro.

Bastogne #1 is sold. Bastogne #3 will appear shortly. Keep your eyes peeled.

Thanks for all the looks, Mike Mann White Creek Gunstock Blanks LLC

10. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

0   0   0

Mike, could you post pictures of the stump(s) and milling process? Going from stump to stock would make a good one hour Learning Channel show. Thanks Jim Bowlin

11. Mr.M

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Jim,

Happy to do it as soon as I get a good series of pictures. As long as this process is taking, it might be a good program for the History Channel.

Mike

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

This is my Bastogne stock in the rough and the following picture is the finished product
    [​IMG]

13. Setterman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Finished product
    [​IMG]

14. Setterman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Buying wood is a little like a leap of faith. You don't really know what the final outcome will be!
    [​IMG]

15. black_wal_nut

black_wal_nut TS Member

0   0   0

setterman, you have no idea. if you look on my site under products-black walnut, the first item is a black walnut 3 inch bookmatch set. i milled it down slowly and carefully, 1/2 to 1 inch at a time flipping it over and over, i came to a 6 inch slab with good figure on both sides, and when i finally cut it in half........ BARK SEAM
    steven

16. black_wal_nut

black_wal_nut TS Member

0   0   0

ha ha, i just read the one about "As long as this process is taking, it might be a good program for the History Channel." you got me on that one, but wait till you see what ive done now. i think i'll have the rest done in about 1-2 weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.