1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eyes. Where do you look for the target?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AKAGrammar, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKAGrammar

AKAGrammar TS Member

And Merry Christmas to you Baz .... I hold what is considered to be a high gun and my focus is on the front edge of the traphouse. I am a two eyed shooter. The reason is that as soon as the target appears I know its flight path and can then look up to where I will break it and, in theory at least, the gun follows the eyes. When it works it works. I never managed to make a low hold work due to the verticle gun movement. I always seemed to over shoot.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The best place to look for a target is where you see a whole complete target. Some can see this immediately as the bird emerges from under the traphouse roof. Others looking in this same area see the bird but it has a long tail or streak. So where you look depends on your ability to see the whole target without the streak effect. The sooner you can lock on vision wise, the better but some great shooters see it much farther out. Hap

3. AKAGrammar

AKAGrammar TS Member

Baz ... I have also heard that theory holding a high gun and look into the break zone. Like most of trap shooting gun hold and focus are individual preferences and one has to try them all to find what works for them. The problem I faced with looking over the gun was not seeing the target quickly and it led me to jerk the gun toward the target. By seeing it emerge from under the roof and looking up where I knew it was going allowed my eyes to be focused at that distance when the bird arrived and I never see it as a streak. I always establish my focus (soft) before I mount the gun. This was recommended to me by a buddy who is AA27AA and it improved my scores considerably. It is a "try the options" thing and choose what works for you. YRMV :)

4. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Baz,

You will be told something different by about any one you ask.
    I would suggest you try one system for a while and keep notes. If you are not satisfied with your results try a lower hold and observe the results.
    You should eventually discover what works best for you.

You can save a lot of time and ammo by taking a clinic from one of the teaching pros that travel the country.

ed.

5. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

From personal experience and as a one-eyed shooter, I don't hold a lower gun as I move to the streak rather than the target. By raising my gun hold higher, lifting my eyes and waiting for the target to get above my barrel, I see the target and have less gun movement.

Of course, this is for me...your mile may vary.

Sherree

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

What is your definition "break zone"? Please put your answer in terms of a hard left while hold on the right side of the house.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I will tell the secret that was passed on to me from the best teacher and 30 time All American:

" There is only ONE place to look for the target."

8. ace

ace TS Member

Baz........I think you've got the right idea. A high hold[3-5 feet above top of house] will usually be better for most folks,unless you are a one-eyed shooter[in which case your hold should be much lower.....at top of traphouse].The actual pointing of the hold[gun] will depend on what post you are on at the time. In answer to your question, use what's known as a Soft Focus. This means that ,once the gun is mounted, you just look out past the muzzle at NOTHING in particular[without focusing on ANYTHING]......THEN, you call for and pick up the target streak in your perepheral[side] vision when it comes out. Get the streak and target path quickly FIRST, then swing to the target,lock on[hard focus], and shoot....keeping the gun moving[follow thru after the shot] and the head on the comb to maintain eye alignment. Hope this helps!........Shoot Well!

9. ezimmermann

ezimmermann TS Member

A 2eyed shooter can look above the rib into the field for the target. He should not move the barrel until he sees a whole target. the gun can be a level gun if the targets are low he can lower the barrel a inch or 2 on post 1and 5 he can also lower the barrel just a little so he can see the angles better

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I look just a bit higher then I can clearly see the bird. I see the flash under my muzzel but I don't look for it until it clears the muzzel. Jeff

11. justdust

justdust TS Member

Trying to get a definitive answer to all of this has me very confused.

In an article in the November issue of "Trap & Field", Frank Hoppe wrote:

"Your eye(S) [my emphasis] must be looking down the rib, and you should expect to see a clear target ABOVE THE BARREL [my emphasis]. By doing so, the target will appear to be going much slower..."

But in his book, Frank Little wrote:

"Contrary to popular belief, two-eyed shooters also see the target leave the house with only one eye. Two-eyed shooters create a blind spot with one eye and the barrel, and they SEE THE TARGET LEAVING [my emphasis] with only one eye LOOKING UNDER THE BARREL [my emphasis]. The other eye is looking at the steel receiver or rib ramp."

Seems to be a bit of a contradiction here.

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

RMY,

I'm still trying to figure it out my self, that's all he said, and kinda just walked away.lol.

13. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Ace, I have one question about your missive. I would think it's better to move the gun after you focus on the target, Rather than move at the streak. Jim

14. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

Baz, - not that I am any good - but like you I have been, for the last several months, "looking for my comfort zone" of gun hold:eye hold for singles and h'cap. What seems to be working for me is to look at a target, then hold my gun height just below where the targets are "crowning out" - then I adjust from there depending on the feel of the targets that day. -- My eyes - I look down through the gun and sorta in front of the trap house - about where I may expect the target to come out - when I see the target I roll my eyes with it and concentrate on NOT MOVING my gun untill the target is above the rib - this has workerd well for me - Pappa

15. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

I know what works for me. Yes, this topic is THE most important aspect of trapshooting. Opinions and backsides. If I were to tell you my "secret" you would use it and find great success, then as soon as you missed two in a row, or just had a bad day you would go on to experiment with your own idea. Find something that works for you and STICK with it. Not my humble opinion. Take Harlan`s clinic, after you pay $300 for his opinion maybe you will use it.

16. claybustermike31

claybustermike31 TS Member

As a one eyed shooter, well a shooter that uses the dot, but I still consider that one eye, I mount the gun and aim right at the top of the trap house and then before I call pull I move my eyes up so I'm no longer looking down the rib and "soft focus" out into the trap field. When the bird comes out of the house I focus solely on the bird and pull the trigger when the bead comes into my peripheral vision. It's much less of a concious act and more my brain just telling my finger when to pull the trigger when the sight picture is correct.

17. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Some place in front of the gun. Don't over think this. Shoot reactively at the target. SEE THE BIRD - SHOOT THE BIRD. You don't have time to think or analyze. Fred

18. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Frank Little was merely describing normal two eyed vision. Assuming you are right handed with a right dominate eye, mount the gun and look out over the rib and then for a demonstration close your right eye. You can still see under the gun with your left eye. Now with both eyes open again close just your left eye and you can see above the barrel with your right eye but not under it. Now think about what Frank Little wrote, he is right. For me personally I crossfire occasionally and I can get by with the help of a Uni-Dot front bead. Other shooters may need to block their off shoulder eye with tape or close it. If you have normal two eyed vision and your dominate eye is the same side as your shoulder you mount the gun on, count your lucky stars. A lot of people can't shoot that way.

19. ace

ace TS Member

Jim.........I really think it can/could be done either way, depending on how fast a shooter likes to shoot. I, personally, believe that once the target path is quickly determined, then the gun should move, but not really until that time! The gun can actually move BEFORE the target is seen clearly[hard focus]! It would, in my experience, be a gross mistake to move the gun at ANY time before the target path is known and that knowledge kicks into the brain. How many times have we seen false starts at the range where the shooter trys to correct that mistake only to miss the target?...........Shoot Well!

20. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Baz Suth: Email me and I will forward to you five Power Point photos done by Stan4 here on TS.COM showing: (1) Proper Gun Hold for each post, (2) Target flights from each post, and (3) Recommended eye placement (vision area) for each post.

These are basically what I have used to stay on the 27 for 30 years.

These are nicely done in color and printable.

Whiz White

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.