1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

eyes how many and why?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gun fitter, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Time for a New years debate on an old subject. Which do you use and why? There are various thoughts about this I would appreciate some discussion on why some feel that one is better than the other.

Joe

2. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I started out shooting with 1 eye, and realized I was limiting my ability to see the target better. So, I started shooting with 2 eyes and I see the targets much better and I believe sooner. My scores went up after getting used to the idea of both eyes open. It worked for me but your mileage may vary! LOL

Oscar

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Oscar-Did your scores suffer in order to improve and for how long? Rick stop using your hat you will shoot better with out it.

4. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I shoot with both eyes open, but the gun has to fit. Just picked up a gun with a 1/2" shorter LOP and my 5 stand score was terrible. Gotta fix that.

5. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Two.....and make sure your gun fits!

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

two more input, better and quicker interpretation of angle birds.

7. dhg

dhg TS Member

When I went from 1 eye to 2 my scores went down for about 3 weeks then they went up.

8. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Remember the dominant eye bugaboo. If you are a right handed shooter with a strong dominant left eye you will probably hear "lost" alot if you shoot with two eyes open. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. Switched to left handed and could really see the target with both eyes open but could not get the hang of shooting left handed. Marc

9. Reinz

Reinz Member

Shoot my shotgun like my pistols and rifles - both eyes open.

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

"They" used to call me "Four Eyes" - with glasses and all. I just use 2 of them...shoot one-eyed with a corrective lens. Never felt handicapped with shooting this way. Regards, Ed

11. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Started shooting with both eyes open,had a crossfiring problem tried a blinder didn't work, then went to closing one eye was better but couldn't hit a left hand target with any consistency,went to both open with a dot and the barrel blinder much better scores works for me.Jerry

12. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I switched from one eye to two eyes about 2 months ago and it took me about 300-400 shells before I ran my first 25 with two eyes last weekend. After going to two eyes I could never imagine going back to just one.

13. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I recently made the switch to 2 eyes; I ran two 25s on the day I switched--the first time I had scored that high in many, many months. My scores have been consistently higher, though sometimes I post low scores--something which I suspect is due to not keeping those eyes WIDE OPEN and losing my focus. It is something that must be practiced with the utmost self-discipline until it becomes second nature--something which may take months. That said, I would never switch back to 1-eyed shooting. Reading Dr. Wayne F. Martin's "insight to Sports: Featuring Trapshooting and Golf" helped me fully understand what a disservice that is to trapshooting.

14. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Gunfitter,

Yes at first they did, but not for long, as I practiced quite a bit. I am glad that I switched and wish I would have done it sooner.

Oscar

15. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I start with both eyes open, closing em as I pull the trigger. I hate to see a miss.

GneJ

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

One..........because I'll crossfire ocassionally if I try to shoot with two.

John C. Saubak

17. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Yo avoid cross fire. start your gun lower on your non dominant side. Example RH shooter start a lower gun on station 1. Allows you to see the target sooner with out the switch.

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm with 2500HD on his comment

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My wifes' average in Singles was just under 98% last year. She also broke a 98 in the main Handicap at the Cardinal Classic. Nora Ross is well known for her amazing Trapshooting skills.

Since both are one eyed shooters and can beat the pants off most two eyed shooters I'm not gonna tell anyone they're right or wrong. Whatever works!!

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

one... because using two doesn't work for me...

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.