1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

eyes drying out contact lenses?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeet_man, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

quick question. been having a strange (to me) problem for the last 2 weeks or so. Every so often, it'll feel like i have something in my eye. I have been wearing contacts for at least 7 years, and have NEVER had a problem like this before. One day it'll be one eye, the next day the other. Take them out, wash them off, sometimes they are OK, sometimes I have to do it once or twice more, then they are OK for a while (today I took my right lens out about a half a dozen times in about 10 mins, the last time it was OK, but only for 3 or 4 hours, then it started going wonky again), but I'm not so sure i'm "washing" anything off, more than just rewetting the lenses. I do notice when I take them out at the end of the day, regardless of how they are feeling, they seem to be quite dried out, much more than they used to be. I've tried some eye drops, but thats not going to get the moisture b/w my eye and the contact, where I think the real problem lies. Even tried new contacts, it fixes the problem for a day or two, but then i'm right back where I started, and at 10 bucks a pair, I can't afford to be replacing them every other day. I do have an appointment for an eye exam in 2 weeks and can ask the doc then, but would really like to get this sorted out ASAP, since i leave for a shoot in 4 days & need my eyes to be their best. I'm almost thinking its allergies that's drying my eyes out, never had a problem before, but who knows, and the pollen count in my area is quite high right now. Will take some non-drowsy OTC allergy medication when I put my contacts in next time and see what happens, guess it can't hurt anything.

anybody have any other thoughts that might help?

2. Dr Joe

Dr Joe Member

What brand are they? It is possible that you are having a reaction to the plastic. Some people become allergic to the brand they have worn for years. I see this alot with the Oasys brand frequently. It's a great lens but not for everyone.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

using coopervision vertex sphere right now. Was using cooperflex a couple years ago, same thing, both methafilcon a material.

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

skeet man you really need to talk to me . My son and I both wear contact lenses and both have specific problems with dry eye . After putting up with just what you are we now have little to no problem with dry eye .

One thing is we both use Optimum (by lobob) to clean the lenses (big help ) Plus one tear duct block and we are just fine .

5. Dr Joe

Dr Joe Member

That is one of the older materials. Ask your doctor if you can try a sample of Airoptics even before your appointment. Do not use Lobob solution on your lenses. It is for gas perms only (the new hard). Tear duct plugs could help but that should be your last option.

6. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,I have been using AirOptics about two years and they do not seem to dry out like my old contacts did.I would try to get samples of some newer models of lenses and try them out.Several companies make offerings to help your eyes be more comfortable throughout the day.I tried three different kinds before picking the AirOptics.See if any work better for you.

7. rocktire

rocktire Member

I have been wearing contacts for near 20 years now and have had more problems in the last couple years than ever. I seem to have more problems with my right eye than my left. It seems to be early spring through mid summer then mine will get a little better. I used to wear Oasys lenses and switched to Frequency 55 lately. Still have some problems and would like to try something else now to see what works. Any suggestions. I wish I could help you out but I have the same problem. Let me know if what you figure out.

8. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Skeetman and rocktire,

Both of your problems may be allergy related. It may be your eyes getting dryer for a number of reasons or it may even be the contact lens fit or material. I'm an Optometrist in Michigan for reference. If your problems are seasonal, expect allergies even if you are not very symptomatic from a sinus stand point. Your eyes can still show the reaction and get just dry enough to make you dry with the contacts in and coat the lenses more heavily.

Dry eyes involves a more detailed work up that your Dr. can do. In the mean time, fresh lenses and lubrication is your best defense. Patanol is a very good eye allergy drop which may alleviate allergic symptoms. john

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.