1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

EYES, AFTER THE SHOT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by HOT-HAMMER, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HOT-HAMMER

HOT-HAMMER TS Member

AFTER YOU PULL THE TRIGER, DO YOU STAY FOCUSED ON THE BIRD AND WATCH IT BREAK OR BREAK OFF FOCUS AND GO WITH BARRELL? THANKS, RICK

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Depends on whether you are shooting singles or doubles. HMB

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Singles I look for and hope for the dust, doubles I'm moving to the next target.

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

If your gun fits, theres NEVER any reason to look at the barrel at ANY time!

5. HOT-HAMMER

HOT-HAMMER TS Member

FOR NOW I JUST SHOOT SINGLES, NEW TO THE SPORT(4 MO.) IT SEEMS WHEN I GET IN THE HABIT OF WATCHING THE BIRD BREAK ON ANGLES, I'LL MISS SOME STREIGHT-A-WAYS. RICK

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Rick, count the number of TRUE straight away targets a shooter gets from 2-3 and 4. After doing that, jot that information down in your shooting notebook. Hap

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Eyes on the bird at all times. Watch it break. If you don't you will lift your head a fraction, then hear the word "lost."

8. HOT-HAMMER

HOT-HAMMER TS Member

I know there is not many true streights, if any. But most of the time that I break the mostly streights my muzzle temperary blocks the break (because my barrel is mostly swing up)To try to watch the break on them I think I sometimes stop the upward rise of the barrell and stay under the bird, which is a miss for me. thanks for all the help, Rick

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Rick, only a shooter using one eye can completely lose sight of such a target. Shooting with both, the off eye can still see the target. Same as seeing the target leave the trap house, off eye can still pick up the bird hidden under your barrels. Some guys on doubles, trap the first straight away bird and sometimes never see it with the bead eye! Hap

10. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

The straight away target is the most missed target in trap shooting. Missed at all levels of skill. Raising your POI a few inches may help center targets better, but the reason most shooters loose straight targets is "short shooting". Or stopping the gun as soon as the visual target/sight-picture aquisition has been made. Another issue is "bead checking" or aiming, resulting in the same low shot placement as the target gains height. The straight target requires the same timing/move as an angle target. The same visual aquisition and follow. Jump on it and expect a loss.

Maltzie

11. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

Keep your eye on the target, even after it breaks you should be looking at the biggest piece, with your head still firmly on the stock. Even in doubles you should watch the 1st target long enough to be aware that it broke before moving your eyes to the 2nd target.

12. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

In answer to the initial post, try to spend as much time as possible looking at the barrel. Before calling for the bird, just before you shoot it, after you shoot it. Doesn't matter. Looking at the barrel will make you a better shotgun shooter for sure. Jake

13. HOT-HAMMER

HOT-HAMMER TS Member

Jake, I never said I ever looked at my barrell, the only time I ever look at my barrell is when I set up. Everybody else, thanks for the info..... RICK

14. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Rick.....Why do you look at the barrel when you mount the gun[SET UP]? It must be just a mental thing cause it would have NO other purpose!

15. HOT-HAMMER

HOT-HAMMER TS Member

Hipshot,..I check my sites right after the mount, to see if they are lined up and fig.8. Like I stated earlier I am a new to the sport(4 mounths}Never shot a shotgun very much although I'm 47(except at a few doves)I have days when I think I cant miss and other days I might as well shoot a 22 rifle, it would save on amo. I would like to go to a clinc or take some lessons the first of the year, before I get too many bad habits. If I am doing something wrong tell me, I take no offence..........Thanks..Rick

16. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Gee Rick. You seemed to take offense at me. I was just offering a little friendly tongue in cheek advice and observation. Stay in the gun. Stay in the shot. Shoot doubles and skeet doubles. You'll figure it out. Jake

17. HOT-HAMMER

HOT-HAMMER TS Member

Jake...no offence, I should have stated my first post more clearly. I have been experimenting with different techniques (swing styles, high or flat POI, hold points, shells, ect.) which is the main reason for my iconicity. For me, when I’m having trouble following though, I would break off focus as soon as I pulled the trigger and just look out in front of the swinging barrel(not at the sites, just space)it seems to help, but most of the time I focus on the leading edge of the bird for some time after the shot,or whats left of it. I was just wondering what everybody else did. At the moment I’m shooting 1 1/8 oz. of 7 ½ Win. Lt. target loads(16 to 25yd.), IM choke, a gun that fits me, 65% high POI, as soon as I catch the leading edge I shoot and swing past. I hit about 80% on the 16.....Thanks, Rick

18. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

One of the well known instructors told me to stay in the gun and look at the target like you were going to shoot it twice and just admire the smoke ball.

Jim

19. DocJim

DocJim Member

MXShooter has it right. Look for the biggest piece as if you were going to break that. In fact I think the bunker boys do shoot the biggest piece. Anyway it helps you keep your head down and "stay in the gun". I had a terrible habit of raising my head until I started looking for pieces................JIm

20. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

And one of the well known instructors told me to try to turn the broken target pieces back down and back in toward the trap. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

eyes moving to the next target as soon as the shot breaks