Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eye problems...

967 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  miketmx 
#1 ·
I am a right handed shooter, left eyed dominant, shooting with a dot on my left lens. I have recently developed a problem tracking the target when it is going to the right. This occurs only on posts 4 and 5. It feels as if my left eye is taking over but is obstructed by the dot so I don't really even see the target. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
I am right handed, left eye dominant and have shoot left handed for years. I recently read about a guy that started shooting sporting clays at 50 and after shooting a while without any success. He hired a coach that had him switch to shooting lefty, because of the eye dominance. I believe he is now a champion sporting clays shooter. I know that me telling you this is probaly not going to change anything, I know lots of people that continue to fight it.A few good shooters I know, just shut their master eye. John

#4 ·
I shoot with three gentlemen, well they are trap shooters, who have your problem. They made/purchased a thin 3 inch long - 1/4" high - rib wide L metal piece, put on their rib with (good) two sided tape placed tight to the bead,
it ended the eye cross over, they say you can feel the eye work but it's blocked
and you can see everything. Cheap worth a try. Good luck Fraz.

#5 ·
I don't think that switching to the left is an option at this point, but I think that I will try the L metal piece. As for the hold point, I normally try holding about a foot in from the corner on 4 and right on the corner on 5. On both 4 & 5 I hold right at the top of the house.

#6 ·
Diva - Have the same eye issues you do. I just shot right eye and hold below roof of house and even farther to the right. At the right corner on 4 and a couple of feet outside on 5. Ok I will admit I am slow. I do think a high rib helps with the one eye issue. Mike

#7 ·
Diva- I was interested in one phrase you used explaining your problem. You stated that you have "difficulty tracking the target". Your problem may actually be that you are trying to track the target. You should keep your head on the gun and see the target. Your gun will track the target for you. Trust your gun. See the target and shoot it. Let your gun track the target, not your eye. Try it. It is surprising how your gun will automatically point where you are looking.

I shoot with one eye. On post five, I hold just below the lip of the house at the point where the hard right target emerges from the house. I would never hold my gun outside of the corner of the house.

Pat Ireland

#8 ·
The following quote is from Phil Kiner's excellent article in Trap & Field.

"I have one strong disagreement regarding prevalent theory and the tape or dot. Theory says smaller is better and that is not necessarily the case. There are varying degrees of cross dominance and the stronger the cross over the more tape or wider dots you need. Period! I don’t care what theory says!! In these instances theory is absolutely wrong. For a lot of the shooters that have tried the tape or dot and it has not worked it could be because of improper placement or not enough coverage. If you tried the tape or dot and it didn’t work it is worth trying again but covering more of the eye."

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.