Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eye Problems

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Richiemac78 
#1 ·
I am a right handed trap shooter that is having an eye problem and am looking for a recommendation for an eye doctor that knows something about shooting. What's happening is that my dominant eye occasionally shifts. Normally it's my right eye, but recently I have found that I am looking down the left side of the barrel. On the recommendation of one of this site's readers, I have been using "Magic Dots" successfully when shooting trap. For me, they really work.

Recently, I tried Skeet and Sporting Clays. Because these games require a lot of head and eye movement, the dots obscure my vision on the left side. Hopefully there is a solution.

#2 ·
Traders - There is a lot of historical information here on ts.com on this and similar subjects. Some of the advice is great and some, well, subject to validation. I suggest that you use the 'search' function on this site with several different phrases, including, eye dominance, cross firing, Phil Kiner eyes, lens tape etc. and read away. Read the entire threads. This is not really an eye issue (for an eye doc) but a brain issue, and you have to self educate youself to find your best solution. (assuming your eyes are physically functioning correctly or corrected properly. That IS an eye doc function.)

I have been through this issue, and for what it is worth, you have to experiment over a period of time, with different solutions, to find what it best for YOU. Even the little things can make a diffference. Good Luck.

js in PA

#3 ·
Sounds like your left eye has gotten stronger since your last eye exam. Get a new exam, a new prescription might help it. In the meantime, use a darker lens on the left side, it'll knock down the left eye tendancy to take over, but you can still see out of both eyes.

#4 ·
Occasional temporary cross dominance is both rather common and normal. Solutions to this in trap shooting involve a block on the left lens or the sight. For other shooting games it becomes difficult to correct. My advice would be to shoot much more trap and much less skeet/sporting clays with your left lens blocked.

Pat Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.