Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eye Prescription question

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  jdomas 
#1 ·
Can a person have his eyes tested for a longer distance than the standard distance that is used during a regular eye exam??? The targets get more blurred for me as they travel. Maybe it is just old age. Does anyone know of an optometrist out there that specializes in problems like this??

#4 ·
Have your Optometrist set your glasses up for distance only in your shooting glasses. This is the only way I can see handicap targets. I wear trifocal for regular driving and normal use. The other thing is your shooting lenses will cost less. I use Allen Lehman, he specializes in shooter's frames and lenses. Hope this helps, Roy

#6 ·
They measure your visual acuity at 20'. For some people, me included, that is not "perfect" for infinity focus. If you have your eyes tested at a mall, have the doc put lenses in the try glasses and look across the mall. Then try the next step up or down to see if it makes any difference to you. Since the lighting in a mall is relatively dim compared to sunlight, your pupils will be more open and differences will be magnified.

I'll give you another tip. DO NOT have your eyes examined at a facility that uses mirrors to fold the optical path. The are never front surface mirrors, and the do skew the results. You want nothing but air between the projector and the screen.

#10 ·
I had the same experience with distance prescription as ZZT. The local optometrist used the 20 feet distance and his RX was wrong. I had All American shooter Dr. Laura Winkel from WA redo my vision test and I read posters on the Spokane Gun Club wall from 80 feet away and her RX works for me.

#11 ·
Kolb....Unloader had it right! contact Frank Rively near Tunkhannock,Pa. He's a personal friend of mine but he's the best. He was teamed up with Harlon Campbell for awhile running shooting schools. He goes to many of the big state shoots with his mobile exam/home. His phone no. is 570-587-4283. TomB

#13 ·
Kola, I'm going to weigh in here again.

Getting a good eye exam is only part of the equation. There are many docs who do an outstanding job. Frank Rively is one of them.

The next step is getting measured for your glasses and picking colors. I can tell you from experience that if the bridge of your nose is not PERFECTLY centered between your eyes, you are going to be unhappy with what you get from most, including Frank Rively.

If your nose is asmetrical or has been broken, you want someone with a machine that measures the distance from the bridge of your nose to EACH eye, and records those distances. THEN you want make sure whoever makes your lenses doesn't just add the two numbers up and average. That is what Post 4 Optics did. That's what Rively did, even though he has a broken nose and should know better.

After $600 in lenses, I finally found Mike Lavalee of L&M Lenses. He goes to all the major Northeast shoots. His number is 802-527-0764. IMO, your best option is to take your prescription to him, or better yet, have him examine you at a shoot. He has every color imaginable, from all sources, and all frames. He has his lenses made from CR-39 optical grade plastic by Lehman Optical. They are perfect. They are good enough for me, and that is really saying something. I cannot say the same about any of the lenses I got from the other shooting docs.

#14 ·
I just want to thank everyone for the help. I've been try to call Dr. Frank Rively but they don't return the calls. I see where he is spending the winter at Silver Dollar so that explains it. I'm going to give Lehman Optical a call. Thanks again

#15 ·
Good morning "klob" - Your question regarding eye performance for tracking a target moving at some 45 MPH is a very good one. EYES are such an important piece of your shooting equipment (they are your target seeking radar). Usually the shooter goes someone who concentrates a perscription, and perhaps, color.

There are about five excellent Sports Vision Doctors in the country and almost all professional athletes go to these folks because tracking and clarity is so very important to the Baseball Batter, Tennis Player, Basketball shooter, Golfer and, yes us, the Trapshooter. Almost all the suggestions above concentrate on perscription and forget tracking strength and performance. Depending on where you live go to a first class Sports Vision Doctor (an example is Doctor Sue Low (sp?) who Phil Kinner uses in his area). These folks work with athletes of all ages. Frank and Allen are excellent at what they offer but there is so much more. Remember, that your eyes and how they relay information to your brain in those tracking miliseconds is crutial to the shooter.

I wish you good shooting.

Bruce Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.