1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

eye or astignatism affected after shoohting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by romie, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

After I shoot a hundred or two rounds my right eye does not focus back to normal for about five or ten minutes,It is very slight like it makes my astigmatism a little worse.I am keeping my cheek pressed on the stock pretty firm but I have a soft touch.I shoot a flatter shooting MX 2000 but I have an adjustable comb and morgan pad.I feel I had better change my cheek locking point before I have any problem.I am thinking I am having to press my cheek down harder to make the gun shoot higher but I have not been out to try raiseing the comb as this is a new problem.If I keep my head down and maybe even a little canted down I smoke targets but I need to keep my eyesight.
    and yes I have Rollands book.
    MOnty

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

It sounds like way too much conflicting information for an outsider to guess at what the real problem is. Based on my own experience with a curved Morgan pad: that pad caused me to put the butt out too far on the ball of my shoulder joint instead of in the shoulder pocket. This caused me to use my cheekbone as an anchor point with a too high comb instead of a normal cheek position on a correct height of comb. I still have no clue at all if any of this speculation applies to your question.

3. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Monty

If it were me I would immediately seek advice from an Opthomologist. What you are experiencing is far beyond the ability of most trapshooters diagnosis.

Good luck and keep us informed, Marc

4. romie

romie Active Member

I just re read some of stock fitting secrets and I kind am using my cheek bone as an anchor point.I am pressing down pretty hard and just looking at the target.I think I might be pressing too firm and all the pressure is on my cheek bone right under my eye.I just can't figure out which way to adjust to keep hitting targets.I need to figure it out quick so I can win the $100,000.
    help.
    Where is Rolland when you need him.

Monty

5. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I have astigmatism too. I have never had a focus problem like yours. See an eye M.D., I don't trust optometrists with my eyes...Bill

6. romie

romie Active Member

I give up I'll ask a skeet shooter

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

See an Opthalmologist. Don't ask a Skeet Shooter, they can't spell it right. I was told I have cataracts in the beginning stages. Told the doc it can't be, I'm a Ford guy so it must be Rincoln's. :)

8. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

"I give up I'll ask a skeet shooter"

I gave a sincere response and feel like I just had my thingy yanked. Next time I'll know better. I just hope this does not effect someone really asking for help. Marc

9. romie

romie Active Member

Marc
    Don't get your feelings hurt.This is a stock fitting question.If you go to an opthamologist he can not help me with a fit and will tell you to stop doing what you are doing.This I am positive of.I was curious if someone had the same experience and maybe what they did.

thanks though

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Could be a normal reaction. If one eye has a greater problem (astigmatism, myopia) and you look for a time only through one eye, you can induce a focusing problem when you go back to two eyes. I would only be concerned if both eyes require the same lens correction.

Pat Ireland

11. romie

romie Active Member

I think lowering my comb is definately what I need to do. and move it over a smidge.I have been locking down on the comb I think way too hard.

Thanks

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Monty, I also agree that a reg. check up may be in order with your local eye doctor as well. At least you can rule out a eye sight problem out before you move to a stock fitting problem next. But it seems to me that you have your comb to high if its hitting your cheek bone that hard. Mine locks in under cheek bone on the side of the jaw!!! Its possible that 200 rounds of recoil on your cheek bone may be the problem. You should not have to force your head down on the gun so hard as well. You should be able to move gun up to your face/ not lower your face down to the stock!!! Lowering your head only lowers your POI as well. A short fitting sesson with a good stockfitter may be in order!!! Todd at the country gentleman or someone like him at one of your larger shoots in your state may be a big help. So rule out "eye" then get your stock fit correctly!!! As said above were just kind of guessing here abit. Best of Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

13. romie

romie Active Member

Moving the comb definately worked.I have been thinking I need a higher pattern but the higher pattern did not work for me.I have been anchoring my cheek on the comb.I moved my comb where my cheek is asorbing a little shock and less cheek.
    I have discovered locking into the gun is a bigger part of this sport than I had realized.

Your part of the $100,000 will not be sent till October....if there is any left after my wife gets her part

Thanks
    Monty

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Get checked for a detatching retna. This is bad stuff. It is worth getting checked BEFORE you shoot again. Don't take any chances.

15. romie

romie Active Member

I shot yesterday and after taking out two shims and moving the comb I did not have any change in vision in my eye.Now I have a tinder place lower on my cheek.Y'all have scared me enough to have a regular check up.I looked up detached retina and I have none of those symptoms.No floaters no loss of peripheral vision or anything like that.

I am still going to have a guy check it.

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Monty, Its a good idea to have your eyes checked once a year after your say 40 years old or so. Unless of course you have a known family problem that you may need to address earier in life. As with any problem in health, the sooner you find it the better off you are. So don't ignore the small things without finding out first!!! Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

As others have said, by all means get your eyes tested after you explain your scenario. Then check yourself for diabetes. It can effect the eyes and often when your hypoglycemic so you could be low on sugar after shooting a while. Best to see a doc. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.