1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

EYE FLOATERS REMOVED

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

The following is a response I gave to another post on this subject. Floaters seem to be a problem most feel they must live with. FAR FROM THE TRUTH. I offer my own experience in the hope that others may benefit.

They may never go away on their own, but they certainly can be removed. I just had vitrious detachment (lacey floaters) removed from my right eye on June 6, 2011. Two days later my vision is clear and checks out to be 20/20. Dr. says my vision will improve as eye heals. Absolutely a painless procedure except no shooting for 30 days.

I did a lot of research on this subject prior to having it done. My Dr. does about eight of these procedures a week. He has operated on hundreds of patients, with NFL and other professional athletes in the mix. Risk factor was low with retina detachment being the main concern (about 1% of cases). I was assured that if indeed a retina detachment occured it could be repaired. Based on my experience to date (100% positive) I plan on having my other eye done in the near future.

This surgical procdure was done in NE Florida but there are other locations available. Into surgical center at 10:30AM. surgery at 12:30 PM, on my way home at 1:30 PM. Absolutely no pain or discomfort. Medicare coverage made the financial impact very minor.

If anyone would like more detail, please feel free to contact me. Marc

2. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

thank you for sharing that info, as i'm next in line

3. luvtrapguns

Rick, It is referred to as Viscous Surgery. Basically the surgeon will enter the eye with a fine instrument and remove the floating viscous (floaters) while at the same time inserting a saline solution to maintain pressure in the eye. Upon completion, fine disolvable stiches close the punctures (two). I was told that the equipment used is very sophicated and precise. No laser used in my case, just locate the viscous floaters and a vacumn to remove them. Worked very well for me. No pain or discomfort. I plan on having my other eye done. Do not let the uninformed tell you floaters can not be removed.
    There is also a method used in which an inert gas is inserted into the eye to make up for the vacumed fluid that is removed. The eye natusally replenishes the lost fluid over about a two week period and the gas is absorbed. My Dr. did not use the "gas" method. I know not why but believe recovery is easier with the saline method. Marc

4. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Marc.........that is very good news!!!!I sincerely hope all is well. When you MEET the TM9X again you can not use the FLOATER excuse again!!!!!!!! Say Hi to the kid..........................D B

5. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

I had floaters removed as a side result of more serious retina surgery about 7 years ago. The procedure is called a vitrectomy and the gel material is just removed from the eye and saline solution replaces it. The floaters go with the vitreous medium. The eye is amazing because within a day or so the vitreous is completely replaced by the body. I had BIG floaters from multiple retinal detachments and all the trauma of fixing them with buckles and lasers. It can be done but I'm not sure a lot of insurance plans will pay for it as elective surgery just to remove floaters unless the medical opinion is that they are big enough to be interfering with vision. I have had no recurrence of floaters to this day. Walter

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

And here I thought cataract surgery was a miracle. (It is.) I have a couple of these little bastards but not enough to work on them.

This is good news indeed.

HM

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

A side effect of a vitrectomy is the development of a catarract(sic). When I had mine done a couple of years ago, I had the lens replaced at the same time to avoid another surgery for the catarract which would have almost certainly have developed.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm having vitreous Detachment in my left non dominant eye. Nearly complete now. Eye doc knows I am a shooter and did not tell me to quit. my left eye floaters are no longer a problem. My right eye has yet to begin detachment. Adn my floaters seem less, primarily because I no longer have them in my left eye. I have minor cataracts.

My wife experienced vitreous detachment about 2 months after I did.

9. luvtrapguns

MK, You have my sympathy. Hope some day you see the light. (Pun intended)
    I made my choice and am DAMN GLAD I did. So far: Cataract surgery one year ago. Vitrious detachment in both eyes approx two weeks after surgery in respective eye (done two weeks apart). Dr. said My brain would adjust to the floaters and eventually disregard them. Did not happen that way. Cataract and vitrious surgery done by different Drs. and facilities. Floaters continued to bother me and were definitely a distraction while shooting, sometimes allowing only a streaky view of the bird. It is now six days after surgery in the first eye with vision improving every day. Two days after surgery my vision in the eye was 20-20. I'm thrilled!!!

There are many reputable Drs. that would advise against new and unfamiliar treatment(s). This would apply to heart, kidney, lung, etc as treatments were developed. Where would we be if all Drs. had the same attitude? My Dr. has done hundreds of this type operation with excellent overall results. If a Dr. is willing to put his reputation and financial well being (say LAWSUIT) On the line by operating on Pro NFL and NBA athletes, he must feel he knows what he is doing. My friend had this surgery on one eye over four years ago and approx three years ago on the other. Very positive results. I strongly disagree with your comment about vitrious surgery being a tool only to get to the retina.

To anyone with the vitrious floater problem I say: Do not listen to the nay-sayers just because they are running scared. Be cautious and do the proper research in selecting a qualified Dr./facility. I'm damn glad I did.

Marc

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

My problem was occasional bleeding into the eye as a resul;t of a veinous occlusion. When this bleeding happened, I could not see at all from my right eye. After several years of on-again, off-again vision, my doctor suggested a vitrectomy. He discussed the proceedusre with me. I already knew about the the virtual certainty of the development of a cataract so I suggested that both procedures be done at the same time. He agreed and that's what we did. That was several years ago and I have not looked back except to say. "thank God I did it".

11. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

As to the advice above re:scleral buckle to treat severe retinal detachment--I have my eyes checked 4x yearly by my regular opthamologist and once by a one of the best retinologists on the West Coast. Trouble can occur with buckles as as time goes by but I have been fortunate. Mine is stable. It has been in place on my right eye since March, 1993.

Also, yes, virtually immediate side effect of any vitreous removal procedure will be cataract formation and I had them removed in both eyes and lenses implanted shortly after my major surgery in each eye.

Remember what I said above: the vitrectomy procedures I had were the result of very serious eye surgery on my retinas and not just to remove a few floaters. I would never just try to have that operation done for floaters alone. The other advice above: do not, I repeat, do not have elective surgery on your eyes just to be doing something. Any and all eye surgery is tricky and stuff at the back of the eye are among the most delicate operations that are performed on humans. I was blessed by the discovery of two fantastic surgeons at the U. of Alabama-Birmingham Callahan Eye Center otherwise I wouldn't be shooting trap or doing much else with my eyes today.

12. luvtrapguns

benedict1
    I feel the same as you in the following respect: I am very thankful that I found a Dr./Facility that could/did help me to better vision. Without his abilities my trapshooting days probably would have ended. Sure I could have functioned on a daily basis, but why suffer with poor vision? I found an excellent Dr. that helped me to see more clearly. You seem to feel that people should suffer just because poor eyesight will not kill them.

My reason for posting my successful procedure was simply in the hope thet it would help others. I had lacey floaters in my vision. These occured after cataract surgery. I tried living with them for over a year. After my vitrious surgery vision is clear without complication. How can anyone argue or resent results like mine? I did much research and spoke with several patients prior to electing surgery. It surely worked well for me. I sincerely hope your tales of doom do not prevent others from seeking available help. It is available but due diligence is recommended.

I will attempt to update as time progresses. Good luck and shooting to all, Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

who has had eye floaters removed