1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

EYE FLOATER removal update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

For an update on previous discussion please do a search under my name for "EYE FLOATERS REMOVED".

Today is the first time I have been able to shoot since having the floaters removed (10 weeks total, 8 weeks recovery and I did not shoot for 2 weeks prior to that). Shot a 24X25 from the 16yd line. Vision was clear and sharp. I was seeing and pounding targets as hard as ever and was getting pretty cocky until up jumped a straight away from post 3 and I shot over the top of it. D%#m

The point is: Vitreuos removal worked for me, so well in fact that I am going in to have the other eye done in the next couple of weeks. To all the uninformed nay sayers I say: Do not spread info if you are not informed. There are people (Drs) that have been doing this procedure successfully for over a decade. If you have a floater problem you owe it to yourself to find and talk to a qualified Dr. I will be glad to submit the contact info for mine. He and his clinics are located throughout Florida and I believe into Georgia. If you reside too far to travel, they may be able to make a referral in you area.

Marc

2. philk

philk Member

Are you expecting the floaters to eventually return ?? Curious what the MD`s say about how long they stay away.

3. luvtrapguns

Floaters appeared only after cataract sergury. Removal was not done until approx 14 mo after floaters appeared. All floaters removed and expected to remain clear (Fingers are crossed). Marc

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

A vitrectomy will cause a cataract to develop. If you have already had cataract surgery, that is a non issue. However, if you have not, you could have the vitrectomy and the lens replacement (cataract surgery) at the same time. I did.

5. luvtrapguns

birdogs, Hope it worked well for you.(???) Any regrets? Would you recommend procedure to others? Marc

6. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Marc...........glad to hear it went well......NOW; what other excuse will you use on a lost bird????? ahahahhhahahahahahah..."run'em" Dan

7. wbill

wbill Member

Is this operation considered as elective surgery or not? Does the insurance pay for it? Bill

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have a few floaters and no cataract surgeries yet, what's up with that?

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

luvtrapghuns,

Although my procedures were the same, mine were done for a different reason. I had a substantial amount of blood in my eye from a ruptired blood vessel. From time to time, small, immature blood vessels which were constantly developing would burst. Eventually I could not see at all from my right eye.

A laser was used to stop the development of these small blood vessels and the vitrectomy was performed to get the existing blood out of the eye. I requested the cataract surgery be done at the same time and the doctors agreed. Since the proceduires required two different specialties, I had two surgeons.

After the procedures, I was released from the hospital with a patch over my right eye and instrucyed to return the following day. When I did, the patch was removed and I could see. The vision from that eye is now 20/30 uncorrected.

The operations were performed at Manhattan Eye and Ear on 14th Street and 2nd Ave in NYC.

10. luvtrapguns

Bill,
    Depends on your Dr. Treatment is covered by MediCare and most ins companies if the condition meets certain criteria. My complaint(s) were that the floaters distract me while driving but mostly interferred with my shooting. I left it to the Drs staff to process claims to MediCare which covers procedure @ 80% of a charge that is much lower than if you walked in with no ins. I had to pay the Dr $192 out of pocket. MediCare covered the rest.Marc

11. luvtrapguns

320090T,

Either too many hits to the head or you are just plain getting old(er). Marc

12. twb999

twb999 TS Member

I had a lot of floaters from the time I was in my twenties. They are caused by the vitreous humor in the orb separating from the retinal layer in the back of the eye. When it pulls loose, the irritating little dust-thread floaters are the result. I had cataract surgery about two years ago, and the floaters are still there. I have learned to ignore them, even though there are quite a few of them. My ophthalmologist said that removing the floaters did not justify the risk of a vitrectomy and saline replacement, and I have taken his word for it.

13. luvtrapguns

My sympathies. It does not have to be that way. Get a second opinion by someone better informed. Marc

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Shot with Marc yesterday, he said it was the best he felt shooting in a long time--with luck & if its not too hot see ya nest Sat. in JAX.

Phil Berkowitz

15. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

luvtrapguns, you have a pm

16. luvtrapguns

I have received many PM's requesting info about my Dr. Too many to answer individually so I will post the info here. The above web site shows and tells all. Be sure to click on the separate areas as there are many pages to this site.

My Dr is Sullivan. He works out of Jacksonville but has a satellite office in St Augustine, Fl.

Hope this helps many. Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.