1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eye Exams for Shooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by puablo, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

How many of you just go to a regular optomotrist for your shooting glasses and prescriptions rather than a shooting sports eye doc that's at the shoots, like Frank Rively?
    I need new prescription and couldn't get hooked up with Frank at the shoot, may go to reg. eye doc, but not sure they understand what's needed like a shooting eye doc. any feed back? Thanks, puablo

2. BAP

BAP TS Member

I personally use Frank and am very pleased. In the past if I can't get a check up from him I will get an exam from my local eye Dr. and then phone in the precription to Frank to have him make my glasses. Frank's an ok guy even though he is north of the Mason Dixon line. Bill Parson Jr.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

A local Optometrist can do the exam, be sure the RX is for long distance and certainly not less than 20 feet. A maker like Decot understands that the optical centers should be higher and set up for a right or left handed shooter compared to ordinary everyday glasses. You need the exact pupil distance when ordering the glasses.

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Why not call Frank since you know him and ask him for advice?
    Joe

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

A good thought Jeff. I have lost my eye doctor who was also a bird hunter and used to set me up in the hall with the charts etc. He had his thoughts on how to do it, I did not, but he gave me a prescription for shooting glasses that lasted quite a few years. I also am starting to try and find some one. Frank has not been up this way for a while and I am looking for advice too. I don't believe that a regular eye doctor understands what we need. Good luck, Bob

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Frank Rively is the BEST !!! I've been using him for years, my local optomitrist couldn't get me better than 20/30, Frank got me to 20/20.
    I wanted to get a check-up at the Grand last year, & he was all booked up.
    Make your appt.early, you won't be dissapointed.

7. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I brought a target in with me and explained that I shot trap, that I needed a distance prescription to "crisp" up my farsightedness and that the targets were going away from me. He checked and measured my eyes, gave me a prescription and I sent it to Post 4. That was 4 years ago and I still have the same Rx.

I do not wear glasses for distance other than for shooting and I can't even drive in them! I do wear bifocals otherwise.

You might try this with your eye doctor. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

eye doctors for competition shooters

eye exam for shooters

frank rively shooting glasses

shooting eye doctor

shooting eye doctor mn

shooting sports eye doctors