1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

EYE DOMINANCE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hreinke, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

I am right handed and I am left eye dominant. I have seen people with a box on there shotguns so they could sight with there left eye and shoot right handed, does anybody know were to get one?

2. KenC

KenC Member

I've heard of those 'boxes' but never seen one. There are a lot of cross-dominant shooters (I'm one) and if those 'boxes' worked, you would see them at every shoot.

I tried a 'magic dot' and it didn't work for me.

If it's not too late, I suggest you put the gun on your left shoulder and shoot two-eyed.

3. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

Just tape off your left lens and shoot the targets. Works for me.

Vince McNamara

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Hold low on the house and shoot with one eye. HMB

5. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Trapshooter421

Meadows Industries makes two different sight blinders. One is a blade (Meadow Industries Sight-Blinder Crossfire Reducer ) and the other is a tunnel (Meadow Industries Vari-Brite-Site III ) with a fiber optic rod at the end. Both attach to your gun's rib with double sided tape. I've used both and prefer the tunnel/fiber optic model. The fiber comes in white, red and green.

I use the white optic as I find the red and green just too vibrant for my eye. For installation I did not use the double sided tape. Instead I used black RTV and glued the blinder directly to the rib. If you need to remove the blinder from the rib just pull a piece of fishing line between the rib and blinder.

Phil Kiner has a good article in Trap & Field on cross dominance where he ranks the various blinders from least to most intrusive. The short version is: blade, tunnel, tape dot, more tape and close one eye.

Here are links to the above mentioned products:

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=2231&cat=1208&page=1

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=5239&cat=1208&page=1

6. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Unless I miss my guess the 'box' you refer to is known as a 'Prismatic sight', and a google may yield results. Looking through one is like looking through a 'scope however, so you lose field of view. I have the same problem as you, but fortunately learned early to shoot southpaw with long-guns. IMHO a 'crossover stock' or a 'parallel rib' might prove more satisfactory. Best of luck. Graham.

7. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I too am left eye dominate. Twenty years ago I used the tape and got to where I was shooting a very respectable average. I took up the sport again about a month ago and again used the tape but I have decided that since I am more or less starting over I am going to give shooting left handed a try. One reason, my vision is not what it was and I want to shoot with prescription lenses, using both eyes. Might as well really start over and start the learning curve with the release trigger at the same time. We will see what happens, might be ugly for a while. "Stand aside folks, It's my turn." gyrine

8. BustClays

BustClays Member

I too am right hand, left eye. I have always used the tape trick on my left lens until today. Today I happened to notice that the brim of my baseball cap covers the bead on the end of my barrel (blocks it from the view of my left eye). I can see the entire barrel and bead with my right eye but just part of the barrel with my left eye. I shot 45/50 on a very gusty day here in Florida. As long as I continue to wear this particular baseball cap, I will not need to use tape again. Hope this helps.

bustclays

<a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/rdrnr/?action=view&current=liberalism.gif" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

9. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I too am left eye dominant but right handed. It would ultimately be to your benefit to shoot left handed, though a little awkward at first. In my mind all other remedies are inferior. Many shooters have learned to do quite well with one eye.

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.