1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eye Dominance Test

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Determining eye dominance for me has always seemed subjective. I see two equal fingers, for example, and I can pick one or the other to make either eye seem dominant.

I tried this for an objective eye dominance test. I taped two small pieces of paper over each lens of shooting glasses, as flaps that can be raised and lowered. I then taped a computer CD to a window. I then found an object outside the window to focus on, using the hole in the CD to focus through.

With the left paper flap down, I focus on the object through the hole. I then slowly lift the left flap. The object stays in the hole. I then focus with the right flap down, and repeat. The object stays in the hole.

I don't know if that means I have (nearly) equal dominance?

I seem to have more trouble maintaining focus when I start the exercise with my left eye unflapped. I don't know if this means my left eye is more dominant or not. I know my left eye is optically stronger, based on optometric exam.

Someone with a strongly dominant eye - please try this and see if the object jumps out of focus in the hole with you first focus with your non-dominant eye and then lift the flap from your dominant eye.

Danny

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Danny,

Not being an ophthalmologist or optometrist, my opinion will be of limited value. However, with dominance describing the eye that focuses most quickly, I don't believe your dominance test will indicate very much. I would guess that your focusing difficulty is caused by something other than dominance.

A better test (there is no static test that will be 100% accurate) would be to fashion a cone of paper or a good sized piece of cardboard with about a one-inch hole. With both eyes open, move the cone or piece of cardboard around at arm's length until you see a pre-chosen object across the room. Once the object has been located, close one eye to find which eye is viewing the object. Repeat this exercise several times with objects at different distance and with different light conditions. There is a fair chance that you learned which eye is dominant.

As you suggest, dominance exists in degrees, from strong dominance in one eye to no dominance in either eye and everywhere in between. Dominance can also be inconsistent. It can be affected by light conditions, levels of fatigue or stress, the color and direction of target flight and the types of backgrounds.

Next time you visit an ophthalmologist or optometrist, you could ask about dominance. You aren't likely to learn much because little research has been conducted and dominance seems to be a problem primarily when shooting with both eyes open.

If, as you suspect, neither eye is dominant and it is a constant condition, you could close one eye or use a dot on on lens of your shooting glasses, add a rib that is offset to be in front of your nose or have an expensive stock built with a jog in it to position the rib in front of your nose (and then try to get used to the resulting recoil as the stock smacks the side of your head each time the gun is fired.)

Rollin

3. brian5003

brian5003 TS Member

Try this....poke about a 1/2 inch hole in a 8.5x11 piece of paper. Look thru the hole while holding the paper at arms length and focus on an object approx 30 feet away. While maintaining focus on the object bring the piece of paper to you face. The hole will be over your dominant eye.

A friend might help keep you honest to tell which eye you brought the paper to.

Thanks Lyndle Pruett

4. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Danny, you are not doing it right. you ar e trying one eye at a time it won't tell you anything. Do like oswald or brian said.

5. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

I find I'm only slightly dominent in my right eye (left handed shooter) and yet my vision is better in my left eye. I don't know if this is true for everyone, but I find if I focus on an object and turn my head slightly to either side, the eye thats oposite to the turn (eye further forward) becomes the dominent eye. Unfortunately that sucks because when mounting a shotgun usually the eye furthest forward is not the aiming eye.

Hawk,

6. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Perhaps I can help. I am an optometrist and utilyze dominance testing nearly everyday. There are many ways to test it but this is an easy one.

Make a circle with your thumb and index finger of one hand (hole should be bigger than about an inch). Hold it out in front of you at about 18-22 inches and look through it at a distant object. Keep both eyes open. Now don't move anything. Hold your hand still. Close one eye. Are you still lined up? If so the open eye is your dominant eye. If not close the other eye and test. The dominant eye will be lined with the hole the non-dominant will not be lined up.

If you have trouble and neither seems very dominant that is probably true and you don't have a very dominant eye. Dominance varies in degrees from very dominant to almost no dominance.

Again focusing has very little to do with dominance. It is more like having a right and left hand and one works better or the brain likes to use that one.

all the best,
    john

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If the dominance is not very strong, you will probably encounter problems with occasional crossfiring. Phil Kiner has coached many shooters with varying degrees of this problem. Phil wrote an excellent article in Trap & Field and posted it to trapshooters.com. You might find it with a search. Phil states that the cure depends on how severe the problem is and to do what is necessary for you.

"My normal suggested progression is to test first with a blinder, second with a fiber optic plus blinder (such as mentioned above) then tape/dot then more tape/dots then even more then tape the whole lens then close the eye and pick which one works best for you.

Now for the article which was titled "For the Ladies Only, or so You Thought"

8. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I am no expert but I am left dominate but shoot right.I have tried left handed but I still crossfire.I think my left is not dominate enough to take over.I shoot with a tad of tape on my left lense.If nothing else it makes a great excuse for poor shooting.

Darr

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Do the bead blinders work?

10. idoc

idoc Member

Danny,

I like your thinkin'. There are ways to evaluate the degree of dominance but that gets a little tricky. Your method has a lot of merit but where it is flawed is you can't move the hole to the object. You have to focus totally on the object your looking at and then introduce the aperture. You have to look at the disk with both eyes open first and then bring the aperture into play to determine which eye is mechanically dominate. This test does not indicate the degree of dominance but it is the only test that has been backed up with some studies proving it to be affective. One of the reasons dominance is such a complex issue is we are actually dealing with two related conditions. What we are directly measuring is "mechanical dominance". When the input gets back to the visual cortex then how it is registered is called "perceptual dominance". There have been studies that have actually compared the correlation of the two using the "Aperture Method" and have found the correlation to be very high. I have the study someplace if some of the engineers would like to look at it just let me know. Soooo, Your idea of using the aperture method is a good one just remember to look at the target first then introduce the hole. Part of the reason this gets so complicated is that when the optic nerves get half way through the brain they cross. When they cross the outside of one eye mixes with the inside of the other. When you use your right hand it's left side of the brain and vic verse, but with the eyes it's different. There is a way to tell the degree of dominance but it gets quite complicated. I commend you on the amount of effort you put into this and if you would like to take it a little further please call me at the office. E-mail me and I will give you my number. Hope this has helped......Rich

11. idoc

idoc Member

Lyndle,
    Your right on. Don't need the friend if when you put the object in the hole you simply bring the paper slowly back toward your face. You will bring it to the dominate eye................Rich

12. idoc

idoc Member

Hi John,

Didn't see you there............Rich

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rich gave an excellent explanation. I will add one minor correction that is of interest only him. The optic chiasma (optic nerves cross, second cranial nerve) is near the base of the brain, not inside of the brain.

Pat Ireland

14. idoc

idoc Member

Pat,

Touche' Does that have anything to do with your previous coined phrase of "Physiological Diplo-Dumbia" LOL............Rich

15. brian5003

brian5003 TS Member

Sorry for the confusion Lyndle Pruett didn't write the previous post he just explained it to me.

Just trying to give him credit.

Brian Werner

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rich - Why yes it really does. My physiological diplo dumbia has both unilateral and contralateral nerve pathways. And, they are not always consistent.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.