1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eye Dominance switching

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k80 hopeful, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k80 hopeful

k80 hopeful TS Member

As a realitive new trap shooter my coach and I have come to the conclusion that my eye dominace maybe switching on me. I am a female left handed two eyed shooter and wonder if any one has any suggestions. Thanks. Jean

2. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Jean,
    Please go get tested by a professional. Do not leave the diagnostics up to me or your coach. Good that he noted you have a problem. There are right-eye dominant people and left eye dom. people. There are people with central vision aka mono vision which will test neither right or left. All others are lost in between. Yes there is a BETWEEN. I have learned in the past few years from counciling with shooting opticians that there are degrees of eye dominance. For example, A shooter can pass a right eye dominance test with flying colors, and still have eye dom. issues where the other eye competes for control when the target flys or on certain angles. Takes a keen eye on the instructors part to diagnoes this situation. So, it is very possible to test left eye dominant and still be forced to patch or close the non-shooting eye. Hope this helps.
    Yours in shooting, Todd Nelson

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ditto what the Country Gentleman said!......WHY does it seem a switch is needed?

4. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I'm cross eye dominant and have been shooting right handed since I was a small child.

For eye dominance, I would use a sight blocker instead of worrying about what eye is dominant. There is an 'L' shaped bracket available that will attach to the rib near the front sight and does a great job of allowing you to see only one bead and still allow you to see the target come out of the house with both eyes open.

I'm just starting out in this game and have entered my first handicap tournament so I am at the 20yd line. Using both eyes, I am already 10 points over what I was for last month's meet (no time for practice in between).

If interested, I'll hunt down the manufacturer.

Mike

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Phil Kiner has done a lot of research on this topic and wrote some excellent articles in Trap & Field on crossfiring.

6. idoc

idoc Member

Jean,

Todd is correct. There is a method that does a pretty good job of determining the qualitative value of the dominance. If you make an appointment with your eye doctor shoot me an E-mail and I will give you my number and I will go over it with him. I have been using this method very successfully over the last few years. Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.