1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eye Doctor

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Traders, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of an eye doctor in the northern part of Illinois. I need someone who has experience with shooters.

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

You should visit an Opthalmologist, a medical doctor, for a medical problem with your vision. An Optometrist can give you an exam and hopefully give you the correct RX for eye glasses. A sport glasses company like Decot can make shooting glasses when they have your correct RX and you tell them if you are right handed or left handed shooter and your pupilar distance in mm.

3. Traders

mike,

Thanks for the advice. I have already done most of what you have suggested. The problem is that my current ophthalmologist doesn't really understand what is involved in the shooting sports and particularly trap. Forgetting about the specific diagnosis, so far, nothing he has tried has really been effective.

In any case, thanks for your response and attempt to help.

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Get a pair of "single vision" [not progressive or bifocal] lenses in the biggest frames available. Also get them coated anti-reflective. In my experience this is really all you can do except adding color, which I don't think does much. I use clear lenses for all conditions with good results. When the sun's in your eyes wear a hat. crush 'em Bill

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I mentioned my eye problems in a recent column and last Friday, received a FAX from a shooting optometrist, Dr. Ronald Zydowicz in Cheektowaga, New York, who recommended several things for me. I don't know if that is too distant for you, but his office telephone number is 716-822-2628.

Ed

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Inorder to get the job done right you need 3 things. The frames with lenses that you are going to shoot with. Your gun that you will shoot trap with. And your distance perscription.

With the gun mounted the exact spot where your eye looks through the lens will be marked. When the lens is ground the optical center of your perscription will be placed there. HMB

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Ed- Dunno if that will help the OP, but it will help me in the future.

That doctor is only about an hour and a half from me, and will be at the top of my list when I go to get an eye exam next year.

My old doctor was a nice guy, but is now part of a rush rush office, and I didn't feel i was receiving the best care and in turn the best possible RX (he was great when he was independent, but he joined with a number of other doctors a couple years ago and I don't think things turned out as well since).

My new doctor (who I just started with a couple months ago) does a much more comprehensive job, and I feel I got a better RX out of the process (in fact provided me with an RX -.25 stronger in my left and -.75 stronger in the right than my old doctor, who had seen me a couple weeks prior but I was not satisfied with), but the followup was less than desired (they were supposed to order me new lenses for me on 2 separate occasions, the first time they never called me after they came in, and the 2nd time, they never even ordered them). At my most recent visit, they wanted to tack on an additional charge to measure my PD (which is about a 30 second job MAX), after making me feel like a scumbag for even asking for it. The coup de grace was when they "provided" me with a photocopy of an article from an industry magazine who's headline was that more than 50% of glasses ordered from someone other than your eye doctor turned out to be incorrect (which was clearly a thinly veiled ploy to get me to order glasses through them). Sorry, but when my only need for glasses is for the short time b/w when I take out my contacts and when I fall asleep, I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a pair of glasses, esp when I can get a pair for free online!

I will be going elsewhere next year, and the doctor you mentioned will be part of my search.

Rant off.

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Dr. Rively 570 313 7176 Trap shooter AA AA 27.

Does Mr. Campbells glasses!

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

My eye Dr is Dr.Lisa Whol MD,303 E. ArmyTrail Rd Bloomingdale IL 630.351.2030.

10. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Try Grossnickle eye center at Warsaw Indiana. About an 1hr east of shitcago on 30. I wore glasses since 1962. I had cataracs remove and implant put in. Took about 15min at the most for the first eye. Went out that wknd shot with one good eye and did good. Back 3 wks later had the next one done took about 15min and on my way. Shot that same wknd and inproved and have been improving every since. Check out with some of the other guys on here that had implants put in. I wear glassed on to read now. Distance is great. Might be worthwhile to check it out. Their # is 574-269-2777 (800)-992-6975 They have a very good skilled staff and have been there at least 45yrs. I have no affiliations with the people just had the surgery done their. Painless. Wild Bill

11. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Traders

There is a large Eye Care shop in Burlington Wi.north of town on 36.He makes shooting glasses, replacement lens and exams for a lot of shooters in the area
    Sorry I do not know the name of the place

John G.

12. Traders

Thanks for all the advice. I think I at least know the direction to go. In any case, getting old is a pain in the a.. although I suspect it's better than the alternative.

13. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

Dr. Frank Rively is the guy to go to for trap shooters.

Dr. Rively 570 313 7176 Trap shooter AA AA 27.

I just purchased a pair of shooting glasses from him. They are the best glasses I've ever owned. I've been wearing glasses for 53 years. The one's he made for me are amazing. Wearing them is like what I would envision it's like to have perfect eye sight and not wear glasses. I don't know how he does that, but he does. Not only is he good at making glasses but he understand our game and how our vision melds with it. Give him a call it will be the best money you ever spent!

Bob Cade

14. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Frank is the best eye doc. I've had...quite sure he'll be out to the
    Grand.

15. pbrotcke

pbrotcke TS Member

Dr. Joseph W. Aschenbrenner at Barrington Eye Care does my eyes. He's in downtown Barrington, just three blocks from the train station. He advertises at Northbrook Sports Club. I understand he frequently does work with sports shooters. I have found his work on my eyes impressive.

http://www.barringtoneyecare.com/

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

John Simms, Naperville and Downers Grove offices, knows about shooter requirements.

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Dr. Rively has a building in sparta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.