1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eye Doctor

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by droptine5783, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droptine5783

droptine5783 TS Member

I live in the Chicago region and have really been struggling with getting a good eyeglass prescription from my opthamologist. Does anyone know of a good eye doc here in the midwest who "really" understands shotgun shooting? I am willing to travel to see (no pun intended) the right doc.

Thanks!

Chris Smith

2. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I may be wrong but there is no "trick eye prescription" to shoot trap better.

If you need glasses wear them.

If the eye doc tells you what you need to see then listen to him.

Just my thoughts.

Kenny Uhlbeck

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Chris:
    I use a fellow named Danny at the Wheaton Eye Clinic. He's an outdoorsman and shooter. Don't honestly know if he shoots a lot of trap, but he understood what I was telling him when I had my precrip filled.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The problem I have found here in DuPage, is not so much getting a good Rx, its finding a place who reps shooting glasses. I use Rosin in Naperville for my Rx, but to get lenses, I buy through Morgan Optical in Olean NY...

Jay

ps - Hey Gene!

5. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

A wshort time ago I wanted to replace a set of lenses that were scratched, so I went to the ole doc for an exam. New prescription, god you will see so much better. Went home phoned it in to decot week later new lenses put on everything fuzzy.Went to doc checked lenses exactly as prescribed,double checked eyes, blowed smoke up rear end wrote pres. that was in old glasses. 250.00 later shooting with old scratched up lenses.going to save up another 250.00 and try andy davidson tipp city ohio shooter catering to shooters for years?

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are a few "tricks" that can be helpful in getting a set of lenses that work well for shooting trap. Getting an opthamologist to write you a prescription that will be good for trap shooting is just about mission impossible. If you post your latest prescription I can make a few suggestions.HMB

7. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Chris, I was looking for a sports optometrist and found Dr. Jack.
    He is great, I have sent several friends including an All-American to him with great success.
    For shooting glasses, use his script and call Allen Lehman, another of the best.
    Take your shotgun with you to Dr. Jack, he will get your optical centers just right.
    Good luck, Harv Shell

8. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I have been corrected. Thanks, and I will have gained more knowledge.

Do the glasses shake when ya pull the trigger? to compensate for the recoil?

Just a guy that does not understand what the need is for a "special prescription to shoot trap"

9. blacklab

blacklab Member

shotshell - what is Dr. Jack full name and where is he located?

10. Harv Shell

Hit the link Lab, John Gardner. Offices in Homer Glen & Hickory Hills, Il.

11. Harv Shell

Kenny, I won't say it's a "special" script, but it is the best eye exam I have ever had. If you tell him you want to maximize your vision at 40 yards he will work with you to accomplish that. Email Dr. Laura Winkel for a nice education on vision and shooting. She is very informative, as is Dr. Jack.

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When you go to the eye doctor after he finds your proper RX have him put up the screen grid of lines and look hard at them as he changes them until you get them really sharp and clear, they will go from heavy vertical to equal and heavy horizontal to equal. And he should have the small grid of lines as well. I do this when I get my eyes checked I just went from 20/10 to 20/15 eyes are getting worse w/age. And have your eyes checked for color blindness, a friend is losing the color GREEN I have about 6 lens colors from light yellow, yellow, light orange, orange, and a Brown plus the Randolph Ranger CMTs. and clear lenses. Color of targets make a lens change
    check, full orange to orange w/black rim to the Green Targets and tree background. I switch lenses until I find the best ones to use. On bright sunny days w/no clouds I use the CMTs

13. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Thanks for the info.

An apology is deserved.

A do apologize.

Thanks for making me learn something new, it seems to happen everytime I reply to a thread.

I Love this Forum.

14. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

Sorry I don't know any eye doctors in your area but here is what I personally know about prescription lenses and shooting.
    There is a big difference when you have your eye doctor properly prescribe lenses for your application. I've done it before. You'll need a doctor who will allow you to bring in your trap gun and then allow you to pose in an accurate shooting position. He will then center the prescription in relation to your head / eye position and create a custom lens that is optimized for shooting.
    I did this a few years ago while shooting NRA High Power Service Rifle and my scores went up a few points and stayed there. I accomplished my gold leg points for distinguished and I credit this to a very smart eye doctor.
    I'm about to do it again but this time for trap. I'll be doing it as soon as my latest trap gun is ready. Custom shooting glasses will not be a substitute for talent. It will make a good shot better if he can see clearly. I'm sure of it.

15. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

Chris, I would recommend John Gardner who has already been mentioned in this thread and also Steve Beckerman in Glenview. His number is 847-657-8787. Both are good sports vision docs! Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.