1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eye doc experience and crossfiring

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Went to my eye doctor today and explained my cross-firing problem. He's a rifle shooter and understands the issue. I mentioned I shot my best score ever (150 straight) last summer and more recently a really poor score (85/100). He went right into the exam to see what he could do.

Note I shoot right handed. I was shocked to learn that my right eye was NOT able to read the bottom row of the chart while my left eye was - without my glasses.

The doctor said we found the problem. The lens correction will make the vision in both eyes the same. Both lenses will be different from what I currently have. I'm confident this removes incorrect vision correction as a source of cross firing. We'll see how things work when my new glasses come in.

I like the eye doc. He doesn't try to sell me those crazy progressive lenses. My lenses will be distance only just like the ones I have now. I take my glasses off to see up close.

Later, Joe

2. Jimmie and Sandy

Jimmie and Sandy TS Member

Don't spend a lot of money on glasses until you find out if they work. Have been having the same problem this summer because of radial keratotomy 15 years ago. My right eye has become a little more nearsighted with astigmatism again as it was not surgically corrected as much in the first place. The glasses made me really dizzy and sick because of the different thickness, curve and change and I wasted $ 245 on them. Although contacts didn't seem like they would work at first, I am giving them a new try because they don't make me sick. Just a suggestion, don't rule out contact lenses, they are more like natural vision and they may keep your eyes from changing as fast.

3. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

After cateracs were removed I became left eye domenent so I went to monovision.My left now has a contact for reading and my right is for distance.No more reading glasses needed and looking at a distance my right eye takes over.I love it but some people can not use them that way.It is worth a try to anyone cross fireing and anyone who wants to get ride of bifocals.

4. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

I really hope the new prescription helps you out, Joe.

My left eye has needed much more correction than my right eye all my life and my right eye has always been the clearer of the two but that didn't stop my brain from favoring my left eye as I got older.

Good luck!

Mike K

5. joe kuhn

A reading lens on the left eye and a distance lens on the right. Now that's a possibility I haven't thought of. Might try that if my new prescription doesn't work. Thanks.

Mike K - "...that didn't stop my brain from favoring my left eye as I got older". Sorry to hear that. What have you tried?

6. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

The best for me is Phil Kiner's suggestion of black cloth hockey tape over the upper 2/3 of the left lens.

I tried the dots in all shapes and sizes, magic tape over the whole lens, the weak left lens and even closing the eye. The dots let in light and peripheral images, the magic tape let in light, the weak left lens made me sea sick and closing the eye just got tiring and caused squinting of the right eye,

The black hockey tape is like closing the eye without the fatigue, there are no shadows or reflections inside that lens and I quickly forget I am shooting with only 1 eye.

Mike K

7. joe kuhn

Noted.

Two years ago a new prescription helped me for a year and a half.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They might be different issues, but are closely related. The brain likes to use the best picture when choosing which eye to rely on. Get the best corrective lense for the eye you want to use for aiming. HMB

9. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

jktphd if you didn't wear glasses with the weak Rx daily I don't think it would help. In fact when I did it, my shooting Rx was set for best vision, my everyday Rx was done to force a change in dominance. (Worked for me for several years) AJ

10. joe kuhn

Works for some and not others...sounds like it needs to be tried.

11. warren

warren Member

I still think it's a mental problem that you've got to work out yourself.

warren

12. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Mental problem?

Now some 2-eyed better-than-thee thinks people who are cross-dominant have a mental problem?

Mike K

13. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I never knew I had a problem until someone I respected asked the one eye or two question and explained the advantages of two eyes. My quest to shoot with both eyes became an obsession which led to limited success and a lot of frustrations. Today I shoot very well and manage to be competetive with the majority of shooters. I've moved beyond trying to fix something that never really was broken and now shoot one eyed with no excuses and "pun intended," perfect hind sight.

Eye dominance is no more a mental problem than hand dominance. My experience echos jktphd, nothing short of accepting my dominance issue and learning to shoot one eyed worked. For those who are seeking a solution I offer my sincerest hope for success. Those gifted with hand-eye compatability have no clue what shooters with dominance issues deal with.

Robert

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'll give you this Joe Kuhn, you are one stubborn SOB. I'm not necessarily saying this in a bad way. There is a fine line between undying dedication and plain old bullheaded stubborness. That's a very fine line. I honestly thing you are wasting your time. I think if you would accept the facts that you are destined to be a one eyed shooter, you could get on with enjoying Trap. Then again, you and i have been over this many times before. I still wish you the best and actually hope you find whatever it is you are searching for. I just worry you are wasting precious shooting time. Just go out and enjoy the sport.

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Joe don't pay attention to the looser wannabe instigators who won't even post their name.

If you need anything PM me

Joe Goldberg

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

LMAO

'gun fitter' is referring to me. He got his little panties ruffled called me some nice names via PM and then delted all his posts on said thread. Don't worry, i saved them all ahead of time. I have read about you 'gun fitter' and its all starting to come true. You have a short fuse and bad temper. You don't take criticism very well. Now i see why you got tossed from the Silver dollar. It's alright, take a few deep breaths and breathe out. All you had to do was correct your "For Sale" to not be misleading. Instead you Pm'd me a nasty. You need help for that temper.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kmv3WlKa6U8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kmv3WlKa6U8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

17. joe kuhn

It's a stubborn problem, but solvable as all problems are.

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I don't think Warren was suggesting anything other than, that the brain is involved... the brain has to process and coordinate body function - we are all in agreement about that aren't we?!

Joe... what a about a dual reticle set-up... one for each eye... with a nose restraint for the mount... (LOL) You da Man!

Jay

19. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try a darker lens of the same color in your left eye. It looks a little funny, but it works.

20. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Not for everybody!... (seasick again!)

Mike K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.