1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Extreme heat can kill you !!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I met another shooter who will remain anonymous yesterday, He told me how he was hospitalized at a major shoot due to extreme heat & dehydration. He was given 14 IV's and was 20 minutes away from dying. This man is younger than me & in better physical condition. Word to the wise hydrate & if the temp is above your comfort level forget about it. Also check out the weather before committing yourself to what could be the biggest mistake of your life.

Phil Berkowitz

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Sigh...will these Republicans ever stop heating up the Earth and killing old trapshooters?

Damn that George Bush anyway.

3. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

i just wonder maybe you dems or whatever maybe could stsrt you a democrat site,just wondering

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I hope no one dies at Sparta.

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Ed you & I won't reload AA, so will others. Sooner or later the heat will get someone at Sparta. The man who was hospitalized was at Sparta last year.

If the the combination of heat & humidity is high enough for the military to knock off ships work. Its too hot to be outdoors.

Phil Berkowitz

6. shelly

shelly TS Member

Yep, if it weren't for those evil Republicans, we would all be nice and cool. Bush did it, but massiah Obamma will save us all and heal the earth- fear not.

7. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Do you Ohio shooters have any other half baked complaints you can throw at Sparta? You had a sweet deal for a long time but it's gone now.

jim brown

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Shelly, as the old judge in Brooklyn would say BS,30 days next case.

This is about safety not jerk off politics.

Phil Berkowitz

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Safety is not a humorous subject, when I was on submarines & ran my own business I made it very sure no one & I mean no one got hurt on my own watch. Safety is not a joke. I may be be a blow hard--I earned it.

Phil Berkowitz

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

heat stroke almost killed a buddy of mine last year. we were on the field on the hottest day of the summer, we always shoot against each other until one of us misses. we were well into round 10 when he suddenly felt sick and just dropped to the ground. i did all i could do to help him but he was really looking bad. so bad that i went ahead and put his merkel in my car. but then he got to feeling better. good luck with it

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I have seen many shooters collapse and die. The most of these at Vandalia during past grands, Sparta doesn't have the exclusive on hot weather.

Many times there are other health issues. You might ask yourself the question why do a very few shooters have a problem and the other 1000's don't. I and my squad shot the entire two weeks of the grand and it sure couldn't be an age thing because the youngest shooter was 62 and the oldest 80. Hydration is the key and that means drinking lots of water and not just when you are thirsty (that's usually to late). In addition to cooling neck clothes and wet towels.

Check your urine color to see if you are hydrated, the paler the better.

People collapse at summer events all the time and yet they still have them.

Our troops put up with more heat and worse conditions every day. By the way when the heat wave hit Sparta it was just as hot in Ohio.

Don

My feel is that this meant to be a rip on Sparta.

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I realized that the remarks were in humor and I love to laugh but let me tell you about what happened a few months ago.

We were at the gun club and a good friend of mine and I had gotten in shooting supplies and we loaded his up in his vechicle then turned to the high house that had stacks of birds that needed to be lifted up and my friend stuck a few up and then climbed up and I started passing them up to him. He would have to lean way over to received the boxes of clays and suddenly he said the had to take a break and leaned back to sit on a box of clays and just continued and fell over, eyes and mouth open. I called his name several times with no response and immediately dialed 911. I had them on the phone and was telling them how to get to the club when all of a sudden his body just shot up, arms and legs flailing in the air. After approximately 15 seconds his eyes started to focus and he sat up. All the while I was telling the operator what was going on. After thirty more seconds he asked who I was talking to and I said 911 and he said, "Tell them not to come." I said what and he repeated it. It turns out he had a heart condition and the doctors had implanted a defibulator so when his hearts stops it would restart it. He had only had it a few months and that was the first occurence. I hope it's the last as I still haven't overed it yet. If you get hot and feel bad it's no shame to stop and cool off as my friend should have done but we just had to get those 30 boxes of pigeons up there. We learned a valuable lesson that day. Jackie B.

13. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

This is an excellent subject. I ran top 20 skeet shoot for some number of years...please feel free to discount my contribution because of the discipline that I shoot...and every year...I mean every year..we had to call an ambulance for someone due to heat related health issues. This is in Maryland in June...early June at that.

I completely agree that in addition to drinking water, keep a towel wetted with cold water around your neck...it does wonders.

Once you feel symptoms of dehydration, you will never recover without just getting off of the fields, into the cool, and rehydrating which may take days.

It was said above and is so true, there is not a clay target event in the world worth dying for.

Stephen Meyers

14. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

there are warning signs first, learn them and pay attention to them.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When the Spring Grand was at Phoenix, a vendor had the bandana that you soaked.

What do you do with the Chilly Pad? NO smart remarks now. ( I would stick it under my t shirt on a string or something.)

HM

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

HM-- The Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad" also has to be soaked in water. Its basically a small towel that when soaked in water, cools you down. Alot of people put them in a big zip lock with some water. You can then put it in your cooler. They can also be draped around your neck or just wipe your head. They work quite well.

[​IMG]

17. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I only put enough ice in a cooler to last till 10:00 to 11:00 AM. Ice water when its real hot out can hurt you also. I prefer cool water over ice water anyway.

18. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

Yesterday in Redlands CA it was 96 in the shade and with sunlight bounce off sand and concrete on the field it was probably an effective 100 deg PLUS. I was lead-off and on the second field the shooter next to me walked off the line. We all thought it was gun trouble. No. He was faint and dizzy. We got water into him and stopped for awhile and he insisted on continuing. He did and fortunately we finished and so did he. But I noticed that he pulled out of the handicap event. I hope he's okay. None of us knew him.

During the handicap it got hotter. I started to fade after two rounds and a promising start ended up in the tank. I just felt tired. I got home okay and realized that even though I thought I had enough water during the day I was sadly mistaken. I did some research and found that most of us during very hot conditions doing just light activity will use up to 8 oz of water every 20-30 minutes! Scared the hell out of me. Next shoot I'm taking two quarts of Gatorade and plenty of bottled water and I intend to consume that stuff starting well in advance of the first event. In the Summer out here we have routine 95+ deg days on the edge of the desert country, or hotter, and taking any chances is just nuts. If I start feeling fatigued again I will just withdraw and that's it. And keep drinking as much as I can.

Walter

19. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I guess we don't have to worry about the heat. Snowing again tonight in MT

Rick in MT

20. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Benedict1 ... did you not notice the Igloos full of cold water up and down the line at Redlands?

Old addage :

"Drink til you have to pee ... otherwise you are not drinking enough!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.