1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Extra weight in stock effects swing how?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

For anyone who has inserted a weight in their stock (not necessarily a recoil reducer), how many ounces was the weight and how did it effect your swing: better, smoother, slower, harder, etc? Thanks.

LA

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Shooting trap with a pre-mounted gun, adding weight in the stock won't affect the move to the target with a proper upper body move. Arm swingers like a balanced gun as does hunters and FITASC sporties. I've added as much as a pound of weight in my trap guns and it really helps cut down on felt recoil. Hap

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Adding weight in the butt stock will shift the balance point rearward. This will tend to make the shotgun feel more muzzle light. However, a few ounces will probably not have much effect-this is typically what happens when adding an adjustable buttplate for instance. For greater weights, you would have to offset with weight up front also, unless you want the gun to feel more muzzle light. Most trap guns have a tendency to be a bit more muzzle heavy (if only due to the the longer barrels now in fashion) and this seems to work well for trap shooters since gun movement is not great. It would be more noticeable in a skeet or sporting clays gun, where fast movement is needed. But the proper balance is a personal kind of thing, and only you can determine what feels and swings right for you.

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

HAP IS DEAD ON: Adding weight to the BUTT-STOCK really doesn't do anything for swing - it reduces felt recoil.

I fill my Perazzi stock cavity full of lead shot... it make the gun heavier, which using the formula F=ma, reduces felt recoil.

Think about a sock full of lead shot. Drop it on the floor... it won't bounce, but in effect absorbs the "recoil" of hitting the floor.

Adding weight to the barrel is what affects swing, according to Phil Kiner. He said is would slow my swing down some, but it doesn't affect my swing much.

I do sell the lead tape (not the golf shop kind); a wider version I had special made in several rolls. I use a couple of layers on the underside of my single barrels. It is *just* wide enough to fit on the underside half of the barrel.

Golf shop tape is 3/4" wide but mine is around 1½" in width. It has a sticky adhering substance that does not change bluing. This tape came from Germany.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Well, I had my Perazzi stock bolt hole opened up to 7/8" diameter and had a steel bar bade to fit inside. The bar weighed 15 ounces. Unlike Hap, I did find that it slowed my swing a touch, even the trap style all locked in upper body only moves. If you think about it for a moment, it has to. However, I will say it was easily adjusted to. Two or three rounds and I didn't know it was there anymore. It did help recoil. Subjectively, it was about half as much as going from 1 1/8oz light target to 1 oz loads.

When I took it out, the recoil returned and was much more noticeable than with it in. Also, it took more than two or three rounds to get the swing back in shape. This is definitely one of those-you notice it more when it's gone than when it's in- kind of thing.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bodies at rest tend to stay at rest and bodies in motion tend to stay in motion. The heavier the gun the harder it is to get it moving, but once in motion the extra weight helps keep it in motion.

Where you place the weight is important. The balance of the shotgun is important and effects the guns move to the target and follow through. Felt recoil and face slap caused by muzzle rise are also important factors to be cosidered when adding weight to the gun. HMB

7. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

There was a rather large cavity in end of my stock. It was about 3.5" deep, 3" wide and 3/4" thick. I was flinching 2 or 3 times per hunderd shots. Decided to load up the cavity with lead shot. Filled an old nylon sock so it would just fill the space. It weighed close to 16 oz. It cut down on the felt recoil but after a few hundered shots when I took off the but plate to check on it there was a lot of lead dust.

I took three lengths of 3/4" or so copper pipe, ovalized it so the three of them would fit snugly in the cavity and then melted lead and filled the pipes. The three lead filled pipes weight close to 1 1/2 lbs.

It set the 3 pipes up so that I could replace one or more of them with a wooden dowell so as to adjust the weight if needed.

I found that the extra 1 1/2 lbs does not affect my swing and the felt recoil is much less. The gun is much more pleasant to shoot and my flinching happens less than one in 1,000 shots.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Just a note on weight and shooting, Harlan Campbell's gun weighs almost 14 pounds! I find I can shoot a tad more consistent with a heavier gun than a lighter one.

My hunting gun I carry all day and maybe shoot a few shots thru, I want balanced and lighter. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.