1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Extra Lite Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hangn7, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Anyone shooting the Extra Lite powder with 1oz loads, 1 1/8oz loads. Does it really reduce felt recoil better than other powders? Thanks Mark Peterson

2. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Extra lite was designed for 7/8 oz loads and works for SOME 1 oz loads at lower velocities. Check the manuals or Alliants web site for info. It's a fast burning clean burning powder for light loads but the pressures skyrocket w/ heavier stuff. Love the stuff for my singles loads, J.Terre

3. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I use Extra Lite in 7/8 oz loads and SOME 1 oz. loads. I suspect the reduced recoil is from shooting the lighter loads. Extra Lite is certainly a clean burning powder and I like it. For 1oz & 1 1/8oz loads I use American Select or Green Dot.....both good powders for velocities 1145 thru 1250 fps. I think the American Select is a bit cleaner than Green Dot. You will find lots of re-loaders use Green Dot, and Yes a host of other combinations depending upon their preference.

4. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

I did go to their website first and check out what they recommend. Now looking for people to share their thoughts. Thank you for sharing your experience with this powder. I have shot next to reloaders that shot lite loads. Just feel uncomfortable with the blooper sounds that sometimes occur. Just looking for the correct powder load combonation for some lighter 1oz loads maybe even 1 1/8 loads. Have lots of federal, remington, winchester grey, and fiocchi purple hulls, winchester and remington primers. Thanks again for your thoughts. Mark

5. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

I liked Clay Dot a lot for the type of loads you're looking for. As far as blooper sounds that has more to do w/ poor choice of combination for powders, primers, and wads; and reloader errors like short powder drops than well put together light loads. J.Terre

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

hangn7 , It is for reduced velocity loads, not necessarily light payloads. Reduced velocity means lighter recoil. Light recoil powder is a myth.

7. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I have never had a 'blooper" with extra-lite. Follow the guideline set-up by Alliant Powder, and Yes I like it for 7/8 oz loads.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Great powder for light to moderate 7/8 oz loads, light 1 oz loads, and NOT RECOMMENDED for 1 1/8 oz loads...

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Geez big c, I found the 1200 fps loads 7/8 oz and 1 oz worked great!

10. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I like 7/8 oz load, inside of a red AA hull with Winchester 7/8 oz Grey Wads, and a Win 209 Primer. I load as close to 15.5 grains of Extra Lite and use either #8 or 8.5s for the first shot on Doubles....works great.

11. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

I have played around with it for most of the spring and summer.I don't mind it for 1 oz singles and it is very clean burning but I just feel that it does recoil more than I would like for doubles.I will be sticking with my old stand by for 1oz.Still its a good powder and I am glad Alliant is trying new ideas.

Mark

12. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

bkt514; What is the expected velocity on that load?

Charlie

13. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

hang7 - x-lite for 3/4 & 7/8 oz. loads are great performers. 16grs. on the 3/4oz. and 16.5grs. on the 7/8 oz. puts you @ 1300fps. on both loads. AA, Rem. or Feds. with Rio primer and CB0175-12 wad, CB0178-12 or the Clear Duster. The performance of the 3/4 oz. load will be a big surprise. Amazing what that load can do.

14. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Extra lite is a great powder and ive had good luck with it but it's much too fast burning to load in 11/8. It's formulated for 7/8 loads primarily and performs very well in 1oz but that is the high end for it. I've had excellent results with it for 3/4 7/8 and 1oz and as mentioned it burns very clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.