1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Extra Lite Powder Update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jason Hassler, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Just started shooting Extra Lite the first time yesterday. I tried three different loads and liked all of them. Very clean burning and fast powder. I was very impressed with the 3/4oz load in particular. I loaded claydot before with 16.7 grains with 3/4 and wasn't overly impressed. So I tried 16.0 grains of extra lite in the same config and wow what a difference! Both are suppose to be 1300fps but I thought the extra lite load was much better...very hot load and was boiling targets for the first shot of doubles. It is definitely better for the lighter loads.

2. plaw

plaw Member

Seems like I have tried them all and always go back to green dot. Its a little dirty but I gave to much for my guns not to clean after a day at the range. I guess you should shoot what ever you have the most confidence in.

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Active Member

Jason, my experience has been like yours. I'm using 1oz of #8's with Downrange's new purple windjammer style, and like you said, it does a good job with the first doubles target. The kids, and mom like the mild recoil for singles. I haven't tried a hotter primer, yet, but with Remington's it seems no cleaner than my old Green Dot loads. We'll see how it likes my new, go to, Federal's, since Remington primers are history anyway.

best...mike

4. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Member

Jason, You are correct, Alliant Extra-Lite is a great powder for 3/4 oz loads. Your load might actually be faster than 1300 fps. I'm loading AA hulls, Fio 616 primer, the CB0175-12 wad, with 15.0 grains. These loads over my chrono averaged 1315 fps, when the load data suggested 1260 fps with a Win 209.

Either way, I love this little load. No recoil and it's smokes targets.

5 Stand Dan

5. mike campbell

mike campbell Member

3/4 ounce @ 1300 fps recoils MORE than 7/8 ounce @ 1100 fps....and carries 50 fewer pellets.

For the first target on doubles, or teaching kids to shoot singles, which has more value....lower recoil with 50 more pellets or 200 fps more speed?

6. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Dan I am following the recipe that comes with the wads and it says it's suppose to be 1300-1310. You're right though, it feels pretty hot. Would be interesting to chrono it and check it out.

7. sidious

sidious Member

Apologize for the hijack.
    <br>
    Can anyone recommend grains for:
    <br>
    Shell: Federal Top Gun (pink) 12ga 2.75"<br>
    Shot: 3/4oz reclaimed<br>
    Primer: Federal 209A<br>
    Wad: Federal 12S0<br>
    Powder: Extra-Lite<br>
    <br>
    I used 16 grains and though it shot like a dream, i.e. little recoil, soot was evident in the hulls which could mean low pressure.
    <br>
    Factory, used:
    [​IMG]

1st time reloaded, used:
    [​IMG]

1st time reloaded (left), factory (right):
    [​IMG]

8. 4th. down

4th. down Member

Try the following:

AA Hull
    Fed Primer
    X-Lite @ 16 grs.
    CB-0175 Wad
    3/4 oz. 8 1/2
    1300fps.+

Outstanding load and ultra clean IMHO.

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Want some real fun??

Go for 1,000 ~ 1,100 fps with you 3/4 oz load.

Talk about no recoil...

You need to play with the powder amount - you will be on the edge of 'bloopers' so you need to tailor it to your specific components, but talk about a load you can shoot all day.

10. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I have been loading cheditte primers win wad and hull with 14gr xlite 7/8oz of 8 1/2s for my girl friend.

11. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

How are you getting the barrels to reset?I can't get the barrels to reset on my 32 or the 682 with 3/4oz loads.some times 7/8oz won't reset them. both guns are clean and oiled.

12. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I'm shooting a 682 and haven't had any problems with the second barrel setting. Of course I'm using the 1300fps load for 3/4oz which seems to be very lively. I've shot thousands of 7/8oz for doubles with no problems except when I tried noble sport primers...those things were crap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.