1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Extra-Lite Powder Reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bkt514, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I normally have been using Alliant Clay-Dot for 7/8 & 1 oz reloads. Has anyone been using Extra-Lite and liked the results? Just curious, I am thinking of switching over and trying this powder! I use a P-W 800+, what size bushing do you use?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yes, I have been loading 14.5 gr extra lite 7/8 oz loads for 1st shot doubles and practice singles. Very clean. I like it better than Red Dot.
    I use a 366 hornady. I think its a 429 with some painters tape in it..

3. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Thanks BigM.......I also use Hornady bushing is the 800+ reloader.

4. TjayE

TjayE Member

Can you use the new Alliant Extra-Lite power to reload 1 1/8 loads? I am mostly concerned with the chamber pressures. I do not like to shoot shell with more than 9000 psi chamber pressure. Thanks for your help. Tom

5. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I always follow the manufactures recommendations, and I don't see much for the 11/8oz loads. My interest was in who is using the Powder and there likes and dislikes.

6. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

I've used it a fair amount, it's been very clean and consistent for me. I like it better than Clay Dot for 7/8 and slower 1oz loads. I load on a Mec though, can't help you w/ bushings. J. Terre

7. BigM-Perazzi

It is specifically not for 1 1/8 loads!!

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Since I don`t jump around with powders and like a soft shooting load , I stuck with my 700X in my 366 with 1 oz loads and drop 15.2gr with a 408 bushing . Been using this load for the last 5 years and I really like it . Yeah I already know it`s not in the books !!!! The last 8# jug I was at 15.2 with a 406 bushing so the powder must have changed some with the new batch so I changed bushings to stick with 15.2 gr ???

9. BigM-Perazzi

Check it out!

10. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Tom, I went to American Select for 1 1/8oz loads with very good results; since I don't consider Extra Light to be a best choice for 1 1/8oz loadings. I went to 19.3gr of American Select and Downrange's new orange Windjammer chrono'd @ 1,225fps in my 34" singles/caps barrel, and think it an excellant 16yd load.

Now to the Extra Light...here's what works for me:

Hulls: Nitro Gold Press: P.W. 800+)
    Primer:Rem 209P Wad: DR Purple WJ
    Bushing: #H Charge: 15.5 Gr. Extra-Light
    Vel: 1175 fps Pressure: 9,900 PSI
    Shot:1oz #8 Mag Data: Aliant Manual

I have not chronographed this load from the 32" doubles barrel, and assume, because the 34" barrel gave higher than expected velocities with the other load, this load will result in velocities at or a little over 1,200fps.

Please don't make the mistake of thinking you're #H PW bushing is gonna throw 15.5gr of Extra Light, like mine does, and I'd be amazed if it did.

best...mike

11. wheelchair shooter

wheelchair shooter TS Member

I'm about to finish my first 8# keg of extra lite and I love it! Very clean and I can load 7/8 oz and 1oz with the same bushing in my mec 600 jr. Throws 14.5 grs and works great.

Thad

12. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I switched to Extra-Lite for use in my Beretta 391 and like it a lot. Gun Club hull, Rem TGT wad, Win 209 primer, and 1 oz. shot yields 10K+ PSI. Very, very, clean and soft shooting too. It is a little more pricey than my old favorite Promo, but in the semi-auto, less leftover gunk is good.

Try It You'll Like It,

Chris

13. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

PW 800B
    J bushing = 17 grains
    STS hull
    Cheddite primer
    CB 7/8 oz gray wad
    7/8 0z #9 shot
    1300 fps

Thread Status: