1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Extra Lite powder info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jason Hassler, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Anyone using extra lite? If so how do you like it? Also I am unable to locate bushing charts for this powder for posness warren anyone know what bushings drop what?

2. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Contact Alliant for the bushing drops.

X-Lite is a very good 3/4 - 7/8 oz. load. AA hull, Fed. primer, 3/4 oz. of # 8 1/2 shot with 16 grs. of X-Lite and you have an ultra clean 1300fps. load good for 16 yds., skeet, 5 stand and short to medium sporting. Shot 5 stand with it today and it did it's job. Got to like the clean burn and economics. Claybuster has a major winner here.

3. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

Extra-Lite is great for 3/4 oz loads, very clean. I'm loading 15 grains, and for me that's a MEC #29. I can't speak for a P/W bushing. Switching from 1 oz to 3/4 saves 60 cents a box.

4. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I'm using Extra-Lite also for 3/4 oz loads. I'm very impresssed with the light recoil and I'm cleaning my barrel alot less too!

5. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Why Alliant won't publish data is beyond me. MEC has it listed in their latest bushing chart now.

6. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

A hornady 441 drops 16.5 gr I have tried all kinds of loads in 1oz. I Just don't get the pattern or breaks that I was with other powders.Alliant makes lots of other powders that I like just fine so I will move on.

Mark

7. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I tried claybusters 3/4oz load 1300fps with claydot this weekend for the first shot of doubles and was very impressed with it. According to the loading data extra lite is suppose to achieve the same velocities as clay dot with almost two full grains less. That is an estimated 400 loads per keg savings and being a cheap skate like I am it sounds good. Just curious what everyone thought. I appreciate your feedback and the bushings you guys are using. At least I can estimate what bushings to order to start out with if I don't hear back from alliant.

8. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Update: I heard back from alliant and they don't offer bushing info for pw. I was politely told to drop and weigh different bushings until I found what I wanted. That would be fine if I owned a complete bushing set. I'm gonna need them to narrow it down more than that or will have to buy random bushings and test them till I get close unless of course I'm lucky enough to have one at the right size. I looked up the mec bushing chart and noticed that e3 seems to drop about the same in each bushing so at least I can cross reference that and have a starting point. One would think a company would include all this info as part of marketing powder.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

For crying out loud people, the PW bushing assortment sucks. Get over it. The Hornady/everyone else except MEC bushing size is the same. So call Hornady/pacific/RCBS/etc./etc. and just order the bushing you want.

Geez! They offer them in .003" or thereabouts increments, and that equates to .1 gr. Is that fine enough for you?

10. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Uh, did you read the thread? The problem isn't the bushing selection it's that alliant hasn't released any information.

11. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

You are supposed to use your scale. Its the only SAFE way to know what the bushings are dropping EVEN WITH THE SUPER POPULAR CANISTER POWDERS! They warn you one batch of Promo may not drop like any other batch well folks that can be true of any powder! Every time you open a new canister you gotta use that scale!

12. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

"They warn you one batch of Promo may not drop like any other batch well folks that can be true of any powder! Every time you open a new canister you gotta use that scale! "
    That's because Promo is NOT a canister powder, it's a mixture of two or three powders and the mixture changes from lot to lot. Although the mixture does change the burn rate stays the same.

13. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Ok guys if you read the thread it's pretty obvious that I intend to weigh the powder. The purpose of a bushing chart is to get you in the ballpark so you know what bushings to start with without guessing. My selection of bushings is small and i really dont want to buy more than i need just to experiment .I'm really not looking for a lecture on reloading basics, I got it. There is no published data for PW on this powder. That's the issue. Thanks

14. dss8110

dss8110 Member

Midway sells the bushing adaptor for pw that allows you to use mec bushing.

15. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

I might be wrong but I am thinking you were the one a couple of week ago that had problems with a 366. Don't you have bushings for the Hornady? Alliant has charts for Hornady. All you have to do is Messure a pw and lookup the hornady number. Like .445

16. May

May Member

PW's "H" bushing throws a hair over 16 grains of Extra-lite for me. I use it for a recipe calling for 16.3 gr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alliant extra lite bushing chart

alliant extra lite powder bushing chart
bushing guide for alliant extra-lite powder

extra lite bushing chart

extra lite ponsness warren bushing chart
is alliant e3 the same as extra lite
pw bushings for extra-lite powder
pw powder bushing for alliant extra light