Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Lite Dram Equivalent and Velocity

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  whiz white 
#1 ·
I like to shoot Federal "Extra Lite" and "Light" trap loads. My understanding is that "Light" trap loads have always been 1145 fps or 2 3/4 Dram Equivalent.

The current published velocity for the Federal "Extra Light" and equivalent Remington STS shell is 1100 fps. Have "Extra Light" always been 1100 fps? I used to think that they were 1125 fps.

I know that a 25 fps difference is of little consequence in actual shooting situations and that some shells are sometimes faster or slower than their published velocity.

I was just wondering of their was an industry standard for "Extra Light" velocity.

Do any of the "big guns" shoot the "Extra Light" loads?

Ed Ward

#2 ·
Ed- There are no industry standards for "extra lite". Also, the standards for 2 3/4 dram are so loose you can't be sure about what you are getting without reading the velocity. And, the printed velocity on some discount shell boxes is much faster than the shot travels.

Pat Ireland

#3 ·
I believe the Winchester AA featherlight load was posted at 1090 fps.. They stopped production of these. What the exact speed was I don't know but they sounded very weak. They now have a Winlite load that is 980 fps.. I would think they would not be much louder than a BB gun, and probably about as effective.

#5 ·
I shot 1145--7 1/2 Federals at the Grand for many years. Broke 95 & 96's on caps numerous times with some 50 straights up to 24 1/2 yds;in the 80's & 90's.(on three hole targets) Never got that 1/2 yd. so I could shoot with the big boys. I don't think anything slower would be beneficial. CED

#6 ·
I shot the Super Lites back to the 26 yard line. At that distance I did not care for the lag time between pulling the trigger and have the targets break. I still shoot them for singles and doubles. No need for the extra recoil for those events.

Ajax

#7 ·
Shooting_Coach: This is what I prefer for singles, the Federal Paper Extra-Lite, but they are a rare item now. Was even lucky enough to get some of the federal 2-piece wads for the papers.

I only reload only for singles and have developed an extra-lite load for both 1 ounce and 1 1/8 ounce. I've loaded up about all I think I need, and have sold BOTH my reloaders. Am putting in a new one just to hve at the shop.

Whiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.