1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Extra High Ribs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hank Cross, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

I see a fair number of extra high factory ribs on Kolars, Krieghofs, Guerinis etc..

At my advanced age, it probaly won't help, but I'd like to try one by adding on a Keen Sight rib to my K-80 unsingle. Does anyone have an idea as to how high the add on rib should be to put in the range of corrent xtra high ribs?

Thanks,

Hank Cross

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Hank

The proper height for a rib is pretty much a personal thing. Only you can tell what height would be most comfortable and productive for you, so do not rely on what a "correct" or current height is. There are all different. In addition, high ribs do not work for everyone. Some shooters find that they just cannot shoot with a high rib (posibly because they subconsciously use the barrel as a reference point, but whatever the reason). What many of us did was to use a trial rib. The best way to do this is to get a piece of balsa wood with a thickness the width of of your rib, and cut strips corresponding to add on rib heights you want to try. For instance, one strip might be 3/8 inch, another 1/2 inch, a third 5/8 inch and so on. Paint these strips of balsa black, then attach to your gun/rib with electrical tape or the like. Try them to see what added on height works for you. If you need a bead at front, cut a plastic head pin, and stick that in the balsa for a bead. Once you decide on a proper height for you, then you can have Vicki at Keen Sights make an add on rib of that height to attach to your gun.

Jim R

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Just keep in mind that your comb will have to go up equal distance as well.

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I believe that most of those ribs are 3 1/2 inches above the barrel.

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

3 1/2 inches above the barrel? you must be joking! I like 1 inch and have shot them at 1/2-5/8 as well as 3/4. More then anything I just went high enough so I was no longer having my vision blocked by the action. I am convinced that 99% of the reason that people hold a low gun is that they need to in order to see the bird leave while there vision is blocked by the action of the shotgun.

Take a high rib and a low rib and use your same hold on the house and see how much easier it is to see the target leave the trap house. Lots of guys know they work and don't even know the reasons why they work so well in the first place.I was taught that by Daro Handy and it makes perfect sense when you try it for yourself. Jeff

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

3 1/2 inches above an usingle barrel (allowing for rib where the upper barrel would normally be) might just be feasible, but would be fairly impossible to use on an over/under or a top single.

7. smsnyder

Those were on unsingle barrels.

8. smsnyder

Those were on unsingle barrels.

9. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Check the height of the Spaceguns

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

O boy, here we go again.

11. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Earl - Is that some new topwater rig you're throwin'?

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

Get some balsa wood and experiment before making an investment.

If you shoot off the end of your barrel (as many older shooters do) a high rib will give you fits but it is cheap to experiment with balsa wood.

Adhere it with electrical tape for a temporary mount or GOOP for a more permanent set up. With Goop you can still remove the rib with no damage to the existing rib.

Don Verna

13. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Note that the high rib Krieghoff K80's (the Trap Specials) have a different stock than the classic K80 trap guns. If the rib is too high in relation to the comb, your face/head will be unsupported...major headache.

Sometimes raising the comb is sufficient to accomodate this, sometimes not.

14. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

Thanks for your thoughts. Will start with a balsa rib.

Hank Cross

15. 12 Gage

12 Gage Member

Hank, the Trap Special rib is 3/4" higher than the regular K-80, I put the 3/4 " additional rib on the regular K-80 and liked it so much that I bought a Trap Special

Gord

16. docshank

docshank TS Member

[​IMG]

I had Moneymaker put a high rib on my old Browning Humpback. I had them make the rib 1/2" higher than the factory rib. A 1/2" will make a bigger difference than one would think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

k 80 high rib shotgun

shotgun high rib made from balsa wood