1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Extra high ribs, are they the answer?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claybuster1187, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybuster1187

claybuster1187 Member

I am seeing more and more good shooters get new guns(blaser, kolar, krieghoff etc.) and struggle greatly with the gun. A common factor between these guns is their extremely high ribs. Does the higher rib make it harder to keep the gun straight? Does a very high rib really help more than your average high rib, such as a beretta unsingle or k-80 standard? Just food for thought.
    Jason Jonckheere

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Whether they are the answer or not depends on what the question was. If there is no question, they are unlikely to be the answer.

Neil

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

•••snicker•••

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I tried one out once, too busy trying to look past the rib to see the barrel , forgot all about the target in the air! Yrmv

5. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

I'm in the Leo Harrison and Dan Bonillas school of thought on this subject. Dale

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I shot one once (Ljutic Olympic rib Mono)...didn't like it...

Ron Burr

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yes. for some

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I tried to get that head up gun mount by dropping my recoil pad with a pad adjuster. After I dropped the pad about 3/4 inch I reached the point where any more drop at the heel of the pad would result in the gun biting me in the cheek because the axis of the bore would be too high relative to the contact with my shoulder pocket. I believe the only way for me to get the head up gun mount would be a very high rib unsingle. Being a devout cheapskate this is my rationalization for keeping the trap guns that I have, and besides I'm getting too old for a new gun anyway.

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Extra high ribs, are they the answer?"</i></blockquote>Yes, they are the answer to every rib maker's and some gun maker's prayers for a easy-to-market gimmick to convince people they need this gadget. Put a few out there in the hands of guys who could realistically break targets with a piece of water pipe duct taped to a hunk of 2x4 and watch the orders roll in!

Keller

10. wlc

wlc Member

I have a long, very stiff neck. By going to a high rib and a lot of drop at the heel I can shoot a lot more comfortably, not better, but more comfortable.

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The only reason I see for a high rib is gun fit. Some of us, with a long neck like wic, need a high rib to make things work.

A high rib takes time to get used to. I think most of us use the barrel as a reference more than we realize. With a high rib, that reference is not there.

Most unsingles are NOT high rib guns. The rib simply replaces the missing top barrel but they still cause one to loose the barrel reference.

12. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I went too a Kay O class years ago and he said something like (do you know why we port?) Because its $65.00 that's why.

13. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

are they the answer? NO

14. schwabby

schwabby Member

They definitely lower the bore axis and subsequently reduce the upward rotational force of the recoil. The gun tends to stay down but your scores may do likewise.

15. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

"It all depends..." Regards, Ed

16. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I struggled with the unsingle, but really like my top single. Bill Malcolm

17. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Well if your high rib falls off and is lost then having an extra would certainly seem to be the solution. Geez, why do I have to do all the thinking around here?

18. claybuster1187

claybuster1187 Member

Some pretty good thoughts. I currently shoot an unsingle and have good success. It's a beretta 682 so it's not very high. I was curious about what others had to say about the very high ribs.
    Jason Jonckheere

19. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Dale58, what doe's Leo and Don SAY about the subject?????????

20. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

If all shooters were built the same, then only one set of gun dimensions would be required to fit every shooter. Because no two of us are built exactly alike we need to taylor our guns to fit us. You may have a short or no neck, have high cheek bones with eye sockests set low and close to your cheeks and you may be barrel chested as well. This type of build may find a high ribbed gun gives the best target vision and is most comfortable to shoot. Conversely a shooter with low cheek bones and high eye placement and a smaller chest may find a flat ribbed gun works best for them.

To count high rib guns out as a gimmick is plain foolish just becuase they don't work for you. Most shooters are shooting guns that don't fit them because they're unwilling to explore new designs and accept change, so all they have to say are negitives based on emotions not facts.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.